Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bengals v. New England Patriots Pre/During/Post-Gamethread - 10/01/06

Re: Cincinnati Bengals v. New England Patriots Pre/During/Post-Gamethread - 10/01/06

I haven't been impressed by New England, just embarassed by the play of the Bengals.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati Bengals v. New England Patriots Pre/During/Post-Gamethread - 10/01/06

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I haven't been impressed by New England, just embarassed by the play of the Bengals.
    You should be. The Patriots are just a better football team.

Hard to believe that is the same team that was shutout at home by Denver last week.

Sam Adams is really proving to be no help at all. I think his knee is hurt but he's suiting up every week.

Good to see Corey Dillon is still a class act. I know they love him in New England, but I just really can't stand the dude, and he showed why yet again today. He's displaying like he was a major player in our butt whooping.

The D is still not ready for prime time. We have no linebackers, none. As soon as I saw us starting Caleb Miller today, I knew it was trouble.

But I guess this butt kicking is so bad, you just write it off as a bad day and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    I wouldn't let one game color my perception of NE. They were just shut out at home by Denver last week. One week makes a season for neither team. I do have concerns with our O-Line, Palmer's fumbling (which is O-Line problems) and our D is still not improved.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Dexter Jackson, we miss you.
    That's part of the story. One that is probably not fixable this year is the linebacker position. Pollack's injury and Odell's stupidity has clinched that.

On the mental level, it appears that the Pats came to town with something to prove and the Bengals didn't have an answer.

FINAL SCORE:

Bengals 13
    Patriots 38

Ouch.

The Bengals defense is still a joke.
    Yes, it is.

This is one of the worst defensive performances I have seen in a while.
    You'd be hard-pressed to find one worse, although I've seen just as bad out of some other teams recently.

They are getting absolutely shredded.
    Yes, they are.

If they had gotten on any sort of high horse from reading their press clippings and the "power rankings" that people put out, this should bring them down a notch or two. They've got two weeks to think about what just happened.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Sorry everybody, it's my fault.

I finally broke down and got Sunday Ticket. Figures they would lose the first day I have it.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

All I can say is Maroney - Wow!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

In the big picture, when the schedule was handed out, dire predictions were made, esp. with the health of Palmer, so 3-1 is good, esp. with two road wins and division wins in the hip pocket.

But then, the D is still crappy and our linebacking corp has got to be near the worst in the league with the current bodies we have.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    All I can say is Maroney - Wow!
    I think I'm wearing a Browns shirt to work tommorrow
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

If you can't get even a decent pass rush you aren't going to win much in the NFL. It's gonna be a long season if someone doesn't step up in the front seven.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I said the same thing earlier today regarding the pass rush. But I wouldn't say it's going to be a long season as much as a quick exit from the playoffs. this year's defesnes is better than last year's, but only marginally and not enough to say they're a good defense. They're still a liability. Quite honestly, they miss Odell Thurman. They won't admit it, but he was their best defensive player last year. They're too easy to run on as well. This is a playoff team, but not a Super Bowl team. They remind me of the Colts from 2-3 years ago. They're one good dfensive end and one good linebacker from being a Super Bowl team. I'm still a little irritated at Marvin for the Chris Perry pick. And now not having Pollack (freak injury) means two of the last three first round picks are not contributing at all to this team. It's tough to plu a hole as wide open as the Bengals defense without getting performance from top round draft picks.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'd disagree with that. This Patriots squad is slow on both sides of the football. If the Bengals could've gotten their heads out of their behinds and blocked effectively, they should've run up and down the field on these guys.

Bengals problem is twofold -- they're extremely soft at linebacker and nobody they have playing right now is gap-filling on defense. They're getting gashed by big runs because they don't have linebackers filling holes at the line of scrimmage and stretching plays out. It's all north-south running, and it's killing the team.

Second, they're missing Rich Braham as the anchor on the offensive line. With the more exotic defenses (Pittsburgh, NE), his experience is needed to call protections out and keep the line focused on assignments. Plus, they've been much more susceptible to pass rushes up the gut, which forces Palmer one direction or the other in the pocket and into the arms of a DE.

Good news, though -- you get the Bucs next week, and they've looked depressingly hideous the first 4 weeks of the season.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?