Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Steve Stewart have any last words or comments?

GOREDSGO32

Did Steve Stewart have any last words or comments?

Just wondering what he had to say - his announcing grew on me throughout the year, although not as passionate as Marty they made a good team. Did he or Marty say anything before signing off?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Did Steve Stewart have any last words or comments?

Marty thanked him and gave him some nice comments in the top of the 9th before he left to go do the player of the game interview. Steve appeared to be choked up thanking Marty at that point.

Then, after the player of the game interview, he made several comments thanking lots of people and saying he still hoped to live in the Cincinnati area. He seemed pretty emotional at that point as well and all in all, he had a nice send-off.

I wish him nothing but the best as he will hopefully get another job somewhere else. He seems like a class act and handled the tough situation he was in much better than I think anyone else could have.

This hurts me to say, but Joe Nuxhall caused this to happen. Had Joe understood his time had passed, he would have bowed out with grace and thrown his full support to Steve Stewart. Instead, he lingered around like someone had just run over his dog, literally cried in front of the media, and was often baited into commenting that he had no idea why he had been phased out when it had been clearly explained to him.....that major sponsors no longer wanted to shell out six-figure checks to a venue that had an announcer who missed or screwed up as many ad spots as he got right. It's hard to replace a legend, and Joe should have remembered that as he did the same. Difference was, Joe got Waite Hoyt's full support. Can Joe say he did the same for Steve Stewart?

Help an outsider out here. These Thom Brenneman rumors, would that be for radio w/ Marty (replacing stewart)? Or would he be on TV replacing Grande/Welsh?

Why is Stewart out?

got alil captain in u?

sad to see steve go as with some of u he also grew on me after awhile while he didn't always have to enthusiasm as marty he did his best

Stewart basically went on a 4 letter word tirade of everything including the fans.

Just kidding.

Classy as always.

Quote Originally Posted by scuba17 View Post
    Help an outsider out here. These Thom Brenneman rumors, would that be for radio w/ Marty (replacing stewart)? Or would he be on TV replacing Grande/Welsh?

Why is Stewart out?
    Presumably (and I don't think anyone is buying the rumors 100%) Thom would go on the radio with Marty and be his eventual replacement. It is very likely that a former player would be added to the radio booth, the latest rumor (from Lance McCallister) has Thom and a former player both being added. Hope that helps.

Back on topic, I wish Steve all the best as well. A very classy individual; his biggest downfall was that he is not as charismatic as Marty, but he played second fiddle as well as I could imagine anyone doing.

Radio - Marty, Thom, Joe, & Todd Benzinger

TV - George Grande & Creeper (100 games)

TV - Thom & Kent Mercker (45 games)

GG and CW said they didn't want to do more than 100 games - but FSN is doing 145 next year.

JMO.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Radio - Marty, Thom, Joe, & Todd Benzinger

TV - George Grande & Creeper (100 games)

TV - Thom & Kent Mercker (45 games)

GG and CW said they didn't want to do more than 100 games - but FSN is doing 145 next year.

JMO.
    That's a pretty specific opinion.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post
    It's hard to replace a legend, and Joe should have remembered that as he did the same. Difference was, Joe got Waite Hoyt's full support. Can Joe say he did the same for Steve Stewart?

Joe did not directly replace Waite Hoyt. As things worked back then (mid 1960's), Hoyt was an employee of the Burger Brewery which held the rights to broadcast the games. When it was announced in the late spring/ early summer of 1965 that Burger had been outbid for the broadcast rights starting with the next season, there was much talk about what would happen to Hoyt. A few weeks later he announced on air that the new rights holder, Wiedeman (sp?), had offered to retain him but he had declined their offer out of loyalty to Burger.

Jim McIntyre and Claude Sullivan were the broadcast team in 1966. When Joe retired at the end of spring training the following year he was added to the team. My recollection is that Sullivan was already suffering from what turned out to be a terminal case of cancer; and he worked very little with McIntyre and Nuxhall that year. The following year (and perhaps two more years) the team was Jim And Joe. Prior to the 1971 season Al Micheals was brought in. I have heard but cannot source it that Micheals was originally to replace Nuxhall but McIntyre resigned to save a spot on the team for Joe (those were truly different times).

Waite Hoyt at some point after leaving the radio booth did come back and work a little bit of Reds TV for a year or 2.

So while Joe replaced Waite in folks minds and hearts in the sense of being a baseball guy/ legend on the radio broadcast, he did not directly replace him in the booth.

I do agree that Joe's down grading to a part timer could have been handled better. Ironically, I think he has done some really good work (much of it with Steve) in his current limited role, probably becasue he has been spared the wear and tear of travel and doing it 6 or 7 days a week for 6 months.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Why is Stewart out?
    I'm throwing darts at the wall, but I'm guessing because Stewart was brought in by the previous ownership regime as the replacement for Marty with the goal of introducing him to the Cincinnati market and then pairing him up with a former player to make a new broadcast team.

Once Castellini took over, that plan changed and Steve was the odd man out.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Marty's first inning comments choked Steve up visibly... well, as visible as you can get with radio. I don't think Steve was expecting his "farewell" until the end of the game so he was taken by surprise.

Marty told him that he'd been a class act to work with and sort of apologized for him having been thrown into a tough situation... said he handled it with a lot of class. He also told him that he'd love to work with him again somewhere down the road if the situation ever presented itself. There was more but I can't remember it.

Steve tried to respond but couldn't get the words out... he asked Marty to excuse him while he got himself together. He was extremely choked up. It was bittersweet.

I will miss him. I really liked his style.

I'm wondering how he's going to find something else if he plans on staying in Cincinnati.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

WHOOOOOO!

I eventually warmed up to Steve after not liking him at first. Joe had a right to be bitter, the Uncle Carl regime pushed him out when he by all rights deserved to write his own ticket. Steve Stewart came in with class, had respect for Cincinnati and its fans, and went out with class. He will always be part of the Reds family for me. I wish him well.
    If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.-Jimmy Buffett

Farwell Steve, Maybe we will see you in the Reds TV booth next season.

Sign him FOX!
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Why is Stewart out?

The rumor is that Thom would go into the radio booth. Personally, I think it's a huge longshot and don't expect it to happen.

Steve seems like a nice guy, but he's not a very good baseball announcer in my opinion. Looks like Cast decided he wanted an upgrade over Steve.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?