Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Critique this wacky trade idea

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Critique this wacky trade idea

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    We wouldn't necessarily need another OF. I'd be happy to see Murton playing every day. The 4th OF has more to do with Junior's unreliability than Murton. But he'd be cheap enough they could afford to sign someone like Craig Wilson or David Dellucci if they wanted to.
    David Dellucci yes.

Craig Wilson no.

I've had the fine fortune of watching David Dellucci in this city, and I like what he brings to a team. When Abreu was salary dumped to the Yankees, Dellucci stepped in and put up good numbers playing everyday. He has just enough power to make you respect him, and hits the ball to all parts of the yard; two things I like in a hitter.

With these new names you've introduced, I'd like to see us not trade Dunn, but rather have an OF of Dunn, Dellucci and Murton. Denorfia then becomes our 4th OF, and a PR off the bench.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    You said we'd have to go out and get a player to replace Dunn after the Murton deal, so your original trade idea left us with that "glaring weakness" as I called it. We'd have to make two trades, according to you, and go get another OF.

I'm not too familiar with MM, so I'm gonna have to go see how accurate a statement that MM might be better than EE can be. Maybe you're right, who knows?
    I don't know why it is such a pipe dream to think Murton could produce as well as Encarncion.

Murton's 2006 line: 297/365/444/809
    Encarnacion's line: 276/359/460/819

Those look eeirely similar. EE is 23 and Murton is 24. The ages are also comparable. Both are likely to improve some along the way. Murton would have had a much better year if he hadn't had a horrid May in which he hit 212/257/227 and EE would have had a better year if not for his 214/299/286 September.

Now would it be a good idea to replace Dunn with Murton? There's going to be a huge loss of power if you do, though you might have a more consistent hitter.

If the original poster removed Freel from the trade, it might be more palatable.

Or what of an offer of Murton + Dempster + Marmol for Dunn?

Quote Originally Posted by vance View Post
    Marmol
    Murton is fine, whatever. It's the above part of this trade that causes me the most concern. Marmol may be good or he may not. he's shown nothing yet to convince me that he will end up being a reliable starting pitcher. I'm not saying he won't, but I am saying he hasn't proven it yet.

Adam Dunn is not a prospect. His skills are established, well-known and rare, and a heck of a lot of teams would be happy to have him. I take nothing less than an already-established #1 or 2 starter for him, unless it's a salary dump situation, which I don't see the need for either.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

wanna trade Dunn to the Cubs.

I would take Pie Guzman and Wuertz

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Murton is fine, whatever. It's the above part of this trade that causes me the most concern. Marmol may be good or he may not. he's shown nothing yet to convince me that he will end up being a reliable starting pitcher. I'm not saying he won't, but I am saying he hasn't proven it yet.

Adam Dunn is not a prospect. His skills are established, well-known and rare, and a heck of a lot of teams would be happy to have him. I take nothing less than an already-established #1 or 2 starter for him, unless it's a salary dump situation, which I don't see the need for either.

I can understand the reservations on Marmol. They are fair and just.

I will agree that Dunn is an elite player. I'm not sure that baseball people will offer a number one starter for him. Those types are rarely traded except for the extremely elite. While Dunn has some very good skills, I'm not sure that everyone in baseball shares those same ideas. Getting a proven 1 or 2 starter will be tough.

My guess if the Reds were to trade Dunn for pitching is either a package of players, a proven #3 starter with a prospect thrown in, or a high ceiling pitcher who has "ace" potential but hasn't reached that ceiling. Whether the Reds should or would make those deals, I don't know. While I and others value Dunn's special skill set, I think his low BA, struggles down the stretch, and defensive questions will drive down his trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    wanna trade Dunn to the Cubs.

I would take Pie Guzman and Wuertz
    That would be a good package if you want to go the prospect route.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by vance View Post
    I don't know why it is such a pipe dream to think Murton could produce as well as Encarncion.

Murton's 2006 line: 297/365/444/809
    Encarnacion's line: 276/359/460/819

Those look eeirely similar. EE is 23 and Murton is 24. The ages are also comparable. Both are likely to improve some along the way. Murton would have had a much better year if he hadn't had a horrid May in which he hit 212/257/227 and EE would have had a better year if not for his 214/299/286 September.

Now would it be a good idea to replace Dunn with Murton? There's going to be a huge loss of power if you do, though you might have a more consistent hitter.

If the original poster removed Freel from the trade, it might be more palatable.

Or what of an offer of Murton + Dempster + Marmol for Dunn?
    Like I said, I don't know much about MM, so thank you for giving me some numbers on him.

That being said, I haven't seen 1 good argument/trade idea to move Adam Dunn. He has more value on our team than being traded. We won't get that top line elite pitching we think we need by trading him.

Why such urgency to trade our best player?

venicereds

If I were trading Dunn for a Cubs prospect, I'd want Rich Hill. I don't know what their relative trade values are, but if you could get Hill +?? for Dunn and use Dunn's money to pay for an hitter, I think you'd have a better team.

Hello everybody. I know a lot of questionable (okay, idiotic) trade ideas get thrown around here. Far be it from me to break tradition.

Chicago Cubs get:

Adam Dunn
    Ryan Freel

Reds get:

Matt Murton
    Ryan Theriot
    David Aardsma
    Carlos Marmol

I thank you in advance for your enthusiastic response to my brilliant proposal.
    I LOVE Matt Murton and have suggested trading for him before.

I was more thinking like

Cubs get:
    Adam Dunn

Reds get:
    Matt Murton
    Bob Howry
    Felix Pie

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

I was more thinking like

Cubs get:
    Adam Dunn

Reds get:
    Matt Murton
    Bob Howry
    Felix Pie
    With Pierre to be a free agent, I think the Cubs would be reluctant to trade Pie.

But what if the deal was Dunn for Prior and Murton?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    With Pierre to be a free agent, I think the Cubs would be reluctant to trade Pie.

But what if the deal was Dunn for Prior and Murton?
    That is a tempting offer that I would have to think about.

How much $$$ does Prior make? I just don't knwo if I want to trade Dunn for Murton and a ? mark.

Pie didn't exactly tear it up in the minors, so I don't know if Pie is going to start the year in the majors. That could make the Cubs be more willing to trade them.

Pie could be a helliva backup plan in case Deno flops.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by venicereds View Post
    If I were trading Dunn for a Cubs prospect, I'd want Rich Hill. I don't know what their relative trade values are, but if you could get Hill +?? for Dunn and use Dunn's money to pay for an hitter, I think you'd have a better team.
    Rich Hill would be nice but the Cubs need him way more than they need Dunn.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

I was more thinking like

Cubs get:
    Adam Dunn

Reds get:
    Matt Murton
    Bob Howry
    Felix Pie
    Well, I'd certainly do that deal. I think the Cubs really like Howry though; he was about their most reliable reliever this year. Does no one else think Aardsma is ready to break out?

Does no one else think Aardsma is ready to break out?
    no but Wuertz is ready to.

Turn Off Ads?