Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My trip to Pittsburgh...and run-in with Bronson

My trip to Pittsburgh...and run-in with Bronson

Well I don't post much at all, but have been reading these boards all this year and last year, and love it.

Anyway, it's been a great season, and one that we should all be proud of considering where we were supposed to end up

Anyway, I went to Pittsburgh this weekend to catch the Saturday night game.

Beautiful stadium, the view of downtown is wonderful, and having seats 5 rows behind the Reds dugout sure didn't hurt either.

But anyway, keeping a long story short, I ended up staying in the same hotel as the Reds...Talked to Scott Hatteberg in the elevator, and ran into Bronson at the hotel bar. (I was awestruck, so probably acted like an idiot, but I did tell Scott I was glad they resigned him)

Bronson's a very nice guy, told him he's been a blessing for this team, hopefully he gets some Cy Young votes, etc....but it seemed like he's definitely just biding his time here.

My g/f asked him something about Boston, and he said something along the lines of "hopefully I can be back there in a couple years. There's just no comparison to playing in front of 35k fans every game, ahd having that playoff atmosphere every night."

So seems like we have him for only the 2 more years, but hopefully he can continue to do the next 2 years what he did for us this year.

Anyway, just thought I'd post a pic that I got with him at the bar...Truly an awesome experience for me, and one I'll never forget.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My trip to Pittsburgh...and run-in with Bronson

Hard to blame the guy at this point. That's what every player should play for.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

That's just great. Why can't he keep those sentiments to himself? Barring a trade, he's going to be here two more years. That's an eternity in the sports world. I'm glad to have him here and he seems to do a lot to please the fans. But he's too old to be "biding his time". And we've been deprived of a title for too long to be ok with a player who constantly expresses these feelings to fans... wherever he goes... no matter what he is doing.

Grow up Arroyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Hard to blame the guy at this point. That's what every player should play for.
    Yeah, you're right...Even after the Reds battling for the playoffs, they still have to have dollar dog nights to get people to come to the stadium. Unbelievable.

But the thing with him is that Boston gave up on him and screwed him over. You'd think he wouldn't want to go back there...

Fans should take this as motivation to want to support the team. Can you blame him? He's just being honest and any player that didn't feel that way must not have a competitive spirit to do well. I would much rather play for a team like the Red Sox with dedicated fans that buy all the available tickets before the season starts. Cincinnati used to be a baseball town. Now it takes bobbleheads or gimmick promotions to get fans to come out. Hopefully the Reds can put a few winning seasons together to get fans interested again and start selling out some games.

Also, it sounds like the "biding his time" comment was an interpretation by the original poster. I would certainly interpret his comments about wanting to play the same way but we need to be careful about putting words in Arroyo's mouth. Bronson was just being honest with a fan he met in the bar, it's not like he made these comments to the Cincinnati media. I have a feeling even if he's pushed by the media he would have enough class not to say something that direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post

Also, it sounds like the "biding his time" comment was an interpretation by the original poster. I would certainly interpret his comments about wanting to play the same way but we need to be careful about putting words in Arroyo's mouth. Bronson was just being honest with a fan he met in the bar, it's not like he made these comments to the Cincinnati media. I have a feeling even if he's pushed by the media he would have enough class not to say something that direct.
    Yeah that was definitely just my interpretation, Arroyo did not say those words. Like I said, all that he said was what I put in my original post. But you're right, with dedicated fans that Boston has, it's hard to blame him, but it's also rough that you cant' show some excitement for a team who traded for you and who you helped bring within a game or 2 of the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by goodwilly98 View Post
    My g/f asked him something about Boston, and he said something along the lines of "hopefully I can be back there in a couple years. There's just no comparison to playing in front of 35k fans every game, ahd having that playoff atmosphere every night."
    I understand what he means about the atmosphere from a fan and media standpoint, but he was technically more in a playoff race this year than he would have been in Boston. The Red Sox finished third in a much tougher division and had only six more wins than the Reds.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goodwilly98 View Post
    But you're right, with dedicated fans that Boston has, it's hard to blame him, but it's also rough that you cant' show some excitement for a team who traded for you and who you helped bring within a game or 2 of the playoffs.
    You're also talking to a guy less than 24 hours after his team was officially eliminated from postseason play on the last weekend of the year -- I'd imagine he'd be a bit more upbeat about the 513 if they'd been locked into a playoff spot and gearing up for October.

And, honestly, he was a living legend in Boston as one of the guys who brought the city a World Championship. I guarantee you the man never paid for anything, had women throwing themselves at him, and bar owners all around begging him to come do a set for them. Here, he's just a good ballplayer that lurks around the basement at Pavilion on Saturday nights. Who wouldn't want to be in Boston, given that choice?

But, he's a Red for 2 more years, and if he keeps pitching well, he'll make himself a VERY wealthy man at the end of that. Lot of good things can happen in 2 years that'll make his time in Cincinnati worthwhile to everyone.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Can you really blame the fans? 6 years of losing baseball? If i lived in Cincinnati i would be there all the time but i can understand why the casual fan might find something else to do.

Why should the fans buy the book when they already know the ending? Why not just read the "Cliff Notes" and find out what the end is going to be? You might ask where do you find the Cliff Notes to the 2006 Cincinnati Reds Playoff Run? Look at the Roster.

Chapter 1: Number 4 Starter-Chris Michalak
    Chapter 2: Number 5 Starter-Does it really matter if Chris Michalak is your #4 man?
    Chapter 3: Closer-David Weath...or was is it Todd Coff...maybe Rheal Cormier.
    Do i need to go on cause chapter 1 told me the ending to this story didnt include a playoff birth for the 1st time in more than 5 years.

Do i blame Krivsky for not going and getting someone? I dont know. Do i blame Narron for not making the right changes? I dont know. Do i blame the players for not knowing how to win when the clock changes 3 hours? I dont know. To tell you the truth i dont know who to blame or if there should be any blame given out but i know for a fact im not going to blame the fans for any part of this season or for that fact any part of a player not wanting to stay here cause they dont come out every night.

This sounds like im being negative but im really not. This team was not good and never should have been. 80 Wins was outstanding for this group of guys who should have won probably more like 70-75.

I dont blame the fans at all for not selling out the games. In 2007 if they come out and start winning and continue that through the summer then you better believe that the fans will be back in the seats for the playoff run and then again in 2008. But dont expect them to pick your bags up at the airport when you come back from a 2-8 road trip. And dont expect them to come back after a few good winning streaks because for 6 years now they have read this same old book and they know the ending.

Its up to the 25 players, Coaches and Front Office to change the end to this 6 month long story. And if they change the ending then i promise me and 42,000 other people will buy the book everyday from there on out.

A Boston Redsox game is more of a Social Event than a baseball game. Fans go there to hang out, catch up on the gossip, get seen on ESPN. I remember hearing about this last year when White Sox fans said the same about Cubs fans. They were saying that Sox fans were baseball fans and Cubs fans just needed something to do that night.

Im not saying all Boston fans dont know about baseball. But just watch a game in Boston next year and watch the stands. Dont watch them when something big happens but watch inbetween pitches.

Ill take 20,000 Cincinnati Reds Fans any day of the week over 40,000 Boston/Chicago Cubs/LA Dodger.

Im not saying i dont want them to sell out every game but i know when im going to a Reds game that the fans are into the game and not into what they are going to be doing after the game.

Two years can be a long time. Should the Reds turn into a winner, Cincinnati could become a much more attractive place to be for Arroyo. I wouldn't let his cooments bother me.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Doesn't bother me, since it was a conversation in a bar.

In fact, if he really wants back in Boston, he'd better tear it up in Cincy the next two years or they won't be interested in him.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Bronson is BY FAR the ugliest blonde in that picture....

Nice picture. Thanks for sharing the story with us.

As far as the comments, that's the level that the franchise has sunk to.
    If you look at the team objectively, you can't think of a reason why Cincy is any more attractive to play at than Milwaukee or Pittsburg. Obviously, as fans, we are biased, but the Reds can't be considered a place that players really want to go to.

Hopefully Cast and Wayne will change that image over the next few years, but we've got to accept what we are, and expect comments like that.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I completely understand what Bronson's saying. The stadium's a desert, the organization, by all accounts, is still a shambles, and the outlook is bleak. I imagine the Reds won't be close to competition by the time his contract's up, so enjoy purgatory, Bronson--and keep those numbers up; we'll need what you bring in trade next year, or the year after that.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?