Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Daugherty nails it

Daugherty nails it

This is my beef with Jerry Narron. It's not the lineups (OK, sometimes it is), it's this (this is Paul Daugherty's blog from the Enquirer site):

Jerry Narron

Once more in Sunday's paper, Jerry Narron said the Reds need players who "play the right way.'' He needs to stop.

Every time the manager makes that statement, he's unwittingly indicting himself. The guy has sung that tune for 2 years. His players never added the chorus. While Wayne Krivsky has busied himself dumping power for pitching, the players that remain still play the game one home run at a time.

The Reds don't bunt. They don't hit behind runners. When Griffey and Dunn played every day, they struck out too much. Defensively, they left gaps in left and center as big as a mall parking lot. In the infield, Brandon Phillips is the only guy w/consistently good range. For a manager who dwells to distraction on the "little things,'' his players sure lived big, to borrow a phrase. That doesnt reflect well on Narron's leadership.

He's also too forgiving. Most obvious is allowing Dunn and Griffey to walk to their positions, inning after game after season. It's embarrassing. When I mentioned to Narron that Dunn's loaf out to left could best be timed by sundial, the manager said, "He'll never run out there.'' Oh, really? Why not?

That said, this team probably maxed out its potential. And until the last West Coast trip, it never gave in. That's a tribute to Narron. I just wish he'd either stop talking about the little things, or get pissed enough to make sure the little things get done properly, and by everyone.
    That nails it. Don't talk about doing things right and playing hard, then look the other way when they don't. Doc is right ... That's on Narron.

Anyway, I expect a drastically different team next season. They'll be built around Arroyo and Harang. I see Hatteberg, Phillips, Encarnacion, Ross and Freel returning to significant roles. I see Dunn traded. I see them trying to trade Junior. I see Aurilia signing elsewhere.

What I'd like to see: Acquire a legitimate closer someway, somehow. Get that guy in place, the whole bullpen improves. Trade Dunn for pitching and defense (in center or short). Move Junior somewhere -- out of Cincy or to left or right.

Fire Narron. Find someone who can make the team practice what he preaches.

That about covers it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Daugherty nails it

It sounds like Dougherty is occasionally on RedsZone.

Gosh and I thought the main key for winning baseball was talent, I never realized it was running out to one's defensive position.

I attended over a 1/4 of the home games this season and I couldn't tell you who runs to their positions and who doesn't. I never saw anyone "walking", people generally jogged to their positions.

This team is in serious trouble do to a lack of overall talent, not a lack of "playing the game the right way".
    Last edited by flyer85; 10-02-2006 at 04:38 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    Gosh and I thought the main key for winning baseball was talent, I never realized it was running out to one's defensive position.

I attended over a 1/4 of the home games this season and I couldn't tell you who runs to their positions and who doesn't. It ones of those things that does not matter.

This team is in serious trouble do to a lack of overall talent, not a lack of "playing the game the right way".
    No one is saying the team is losing because some guys don't run to their positions (but you know that ... you're just being typically difficult and condescending). Not running to their positions is a symptom of a greater problem.

Anyone who played sports beyond the youth league level knows that there are things that don't show up on the stat sheet that matter. Chemistry matters. Hustle matters. Playing with energy matters. Can those things overcome a lack of talent? No. But talent without those things will be wasted.

I'm not trying to turn this into a stats argument. Please.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Yeah.. I thought I heard this sort of thing. Running to and from your position gives you an extra 10 wins in the standings. If the REDS players were made to do this, then they would be starting in the playoffs tomorrow with a 90-72 record. Darn you, Jerry!

Don't bunt? Strikeout too much? Yep... I am sure Jerry and the staff did not have players work on this during batting practice. Chambliss never did anything as batting practice coach... I am sure of it. They all just ust brushed it aside as Narron, Bucky Dent & Chambliss placed bets on which player would hit the most HRs in batting practice each day.

I am sure Paul Daugherty and his blog will back this up. His word is gold! Yep.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    No one is saying the team is losing because some guys don't run to their positions (but you know that ... you're just being typically difficult and condescending). Not running to their positions is a symptom of a greater problem.
    Daugherty tossed a red herring and some people are just dumb enough to fall for it.

If you don't the talent(and the Reds don't) they could all run to their position and dive head first and guess what, they are still going to lose. Lack of hustle could be a problem but it has absolutely nothing to do while this organization has been losing.

Lack of hustle is a non-sequitur while not addressing the real issues why the team lost and will continue to lose for the forseable future.
    Last edited by flyer85; 10-02-2006 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Don't bunt? Strikeout too much?
    If that Ryan Howard guy had struckout less and bunted more I am sure the Phillies would be in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    If that Ryan Howard guy had struckout less and bunted more I am sure the Phillies would be in the playoffs.
    Who on the Reds are we comparing Howard too? Because I don't see anyone near his level on the Reds. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Who on the Reds are we comparing Howard too? Because I don't see anyone near his level on the Reds. Not even close.
    180+ strikeouts is WAY too much, had the 2nd highest K total in baseball. So if striking out to much is a problem(and it was postured that way) then Howard and his K total obviously is a big problem.

Nobody can convince me that this team didn't have the talent to win the NL Central this year. That statement is a copout.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Nobody can convince me that this team didn't have the talent to win the NL Central this year. That statement is a copout.
    maybe the way the season played out it is somewhat true but a large portion on the Cardial struggles were related to injuries to Edmonds, Mulder, Isringhausen, Eckstein, etc and yet the Cardinals managed to win inspite of all the injuries and lack of a number of career seasons.

The Reds really were not affected by injuries(at least not more than anticipated), had numerous career seasons, had very good fortune concerning their pythag record and yet still came up 4 games short.

The lack of overall talent, especially pitching talent, is appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I don't know about that. I think the baseline ability of this team is one of its serious problems. They play hard a lot of the time, but there is simply a ceiling on what they can do. You can make the argument that this team could have won the NL Central due to the weakness of the division...but on the other hand the Cardinals arguably played WORSE than the Reds but still beat them. That's because they just have a higher level of talent all around.

The Stros are more similar to the Reds in my opinion. They played almost as well as they could, but they simply don't have the ability to hit a lot of baseballs. Teams like that can win in a fluke...but it's very difficult, and would be due to a fluke, not to their talent.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I'm just wondering how many strikeouts is too many. I hear a lot of people say "Dunn strikes out too much." What would be an acceptable total?

BTW - the only thing Daugherty gets right in his article is capturing Joe Everyfan's narrow ideas about how baseball players should all hustle like Pete Rose on greenies or play the game like little leaguers -- run to your position, run as hard as you can to first, don't embarass yourself (i.e. don't embarass your dad) by striking out, etc.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 10-02-2006 at 03:12 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'm just wondering how many strikeouts is too many. I hear a lot of people say "Dunn strikes out too much." What would be an acceptable total?
    Five.

edit: This is an immature response not meant to be taken seriously. sometimes a door is open and it would just be silly not to walk through.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I don't think people would hammer away at his strikeout total so much if he had 120 RBI's and a higher batting average.

Turn Off Ads?