Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Parents get detention too?

Parents get detention too?

http://www.wgal.com/news/9979629/detail.html

School Gives Parents Detention For Late Kids

POSTED: 6:33 am EDT October 2, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

NEW YORK -- A public school is requiring detention for parents who get their kids to school late.

Under the new rule at the Manhattan School for Children, parents who don't drop off their children by 8:25 a.m. have to pick up late slips from the principal's office and go to the auditorium to serve 20 minutes of detention with them.

"The parents need to make the breakfast, get the children dressed and get them to school on time," principal Susan Rappaport told the New York Post for Sunday's editions.

Some tardy parents at the school, which has 660 pupils in kindergarten through eighth grade, complained the detention made them late for work. But others approved, saying they felt humiliated and won't show up late again.
    Where was this when I was in school. Besides, what is stoping the parents from saying no? Hillarious none the less. Do you think this is just crazy, or do you think it would be effective?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Parents get detention too?

Is this a public school, I wonder, or private?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Is this a public school, I wonder, or private?
    NEW YORK -- A public school is requiring detention for parents who get their kids to school late.

I think it's a fine idea. Parents who fail to make the care and education of their children their top priority deserve to be punished.

Not that I'm saying they should be drug out into the street and shot, but serving them with a detention? I'm all for that - and I find it amusing, to boot.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Not sure if it would be effective, and I'm sure some doofus will try to sue the school if they are served with a detention. But the general concept of holding the parents repsonsibile when they cause their children to be late to school makes 100% sense to me. Why shouldn't they be held accountable when they are interfearing with their childrens education and giving the impression that school isn't important?

There will always be the cases where someone is late for the first time and it's due to uncontrollable circumstances. But I'd be willing to bet that the majority of parents who bring their children to school late do so habitually.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Not sure how they can legally enforce it, they have no authority over the parents. There is nothing to stop the parents from telling the school to get bent.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

I would think the kinds of parents that need detention would blow it off.

Those who don't need it would honor it and go.

My wife subs for the local schools. She has a standing gig at one elementary school every Weds-Thurs.

She has one class where a student is late every day. Not just occasionally, *every* day. She finally asked the teacher about it. Turns out the mom said she hates to wake the boy up in the morning so she waits till he wakes up on his own and then brings him in. The school ultimately is helpless.

Pay attention to the open sky

Turns out the mom said she hates to wake the boy up in the morning so she waits till he wakes up on his own
    Isn't he cute?

Isn't he precious?

Isn't he just the most spoiled little thing you've ever seen?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I would think the kinds of parents that need detention would blow it off.

Those who don't need it would honor it and go.

My wife subs for the local schools. She has a standing gig at one elementary school every Weds-Thurs.

She has one class where a student is late every day. Not just occasionally, *every* day. She finally asked the teacher about it. Turns out the mom said she hates to wake the boy up in the morning so she waits till he wakes up on his own and then brings him in. The school ultimately is helpless.
    She probably hates to make him go to bed at night too.

I think this is funny but I pity the poor son of a gun that dare call my mother up to serve her with detention.

One time the school nurse called my mother for a skinned knee or something. My mom peeled her like a banana. She worked 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.. She didn't want to hear from anyone unless we were actually in ICU.

They didn't even call her when I got caught skipping one day.
    Pots and Kettles

I think we are pretty good school parents. We attend pretty much everything our kid's school has. I've volunteered for field trips. My wife goes on all of them for both our kids- grade 3 and kindergarten. She spends 2 entire class days at school volunteering to helpm our kid's teachers. We provide supplies and snacks very much above and beyond the call of duty. We do more than our share. But the day they try to make me serve a punishment is the day they will fight me.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I think we are pretty good school parents. We attend pretty much everything our kid's school has. I've volunteered for field trips. My wife goes on all of them for both our kids- grade 3 and kindergarten. She spends 2 entire class days at school volunteering to helpm our kid's teachers. We provide supplies and snacks very much above and beyond the call of duty. We do more than our share. But the day they try to make me serve a punishment is the day they will fight me.
    We went to my youngest's school open house a couple weeks back. The way it works is that you follow the same class sequence as your child and in each class, the teacher has 12 minutes to introduce herself, talk a little about her teaching philosophy, and a question or two. Works pretty good.

The first teacher we saw was obviously nervous. She read her intro off a sheet of paper, and then proceeded to give us the same assignment as the kids had gotten that AM to complete in the next 10 minutes. Silence ensued. Roy finally said, "uh, ma'am, we all passed 8th grade a while ago, I don't think we need to retake it".

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    We went to my youngest's school open house a couple weeks back. The way it works is that you follow the same class sequence as your child and in each class, the teacher has 12 minutes to introduce herself, talk a little about her teaching philosophy, and a question or two. Works pretty good.

The first teacher we saw was obviously nervous. She read her intro off a sheet of paper, and then proceeded to give us the same assignment as the kids had gotten that AM to complete in the next 10 minutes. Silence ensued. Roy finally said, "uh, ma'am, we all passed 8th grade a while ago, I don't think we need to retake it".
    Did she make you stand in the corner?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?