Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dump On Dunn

Re: Dump On Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Didn't Rudi Johnson have a big contract dispute and threaten to hold out before the start of last season?

Oh no. He was the Grand Marshall of the Reds Opening Day parade in 2005 and by that time he was signed and committed to Cincinnati.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Sanchez View Post
    Why wouldn't he just look at it as a day job? I mean that is his job just as some people are lawyers, doctors, etc. he is a professional athlete. There are many people in the world that had a first love but chose the job that might have had better hours, benefits, or in Adam's case less harm to your body and better salaries. This is their career and in all honesty should think of themselves before what is best for the team. The offseason is their vacation and I am sure none of us would want to hear someone say you should work harder on your vacation. I think we as fans need to realize that all athletes have different motivation for why they are where they are. I know that at one time they all loved the game as we did when we played in little league or high school, but at a point it becomes work for them just as going to the office does for us.
    Listen to the greats in any field of work. They don't look at what they do as just a day job. It's their passion. Baseball doesn't seem to be Dunn's passion, at least to the naked eye.

He's put up the numbers he has based off of sheer athletic ability. The guy's a very good player, but he could be great.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Dunn is overweight by atleast 15 or 20 lbs I am hoping over the summer he takes his conditioning a little more seriously and skips some of the fishing trips. Getting back down to 245 would really help his career he used to be a threat to steal 15 to 20 bases now he'd be lucky to swipe 5.
    I need to take up a off season conditioning program to work off the $1 hotdogs and $6 beers.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Why wouldn't he just look at it as a day job?
    I'd say he has about 10 million reasons not to.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I guess we might have to realize that Dunn is not the kind of player that can bat 3rd or fourth and carry a team. I have been waiting for him to be that type of player and though at one point in the season he was going to carry the reds.I think he will be fine if the reds bat him about fifth in the order and don't expect him to be the main superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    I'd say he has about 10 million reasons not to.
    His day job is playing baseball though and his salary happens to be 10 million. Edwin made $332,500 this season is it ok for him to take it as a day job since he is being paid less. Adam Dunn can't help the fact that baseball salaries are absurd, the Reds gave him 10 million, if he is content to be the player he currently is and not improve that is totally his perogative.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I find it particularly humerous at the number of posters who are chastizing Dunn for his worth ethic as they post during the daytime, presumably from work. Priceless.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I find it particularly humerous at the number of posters who are chastizing Dunn for his worth ethic as they post during the daytime, presumably from work. Priceless.

GL
    Yes, but I take the stairs instead of the elevator and I run to my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    You know how to play the game THE RIGHT WAY
    Go Gators!

Adam Dunn can't help the fact that baseball salaries are absurd, the Reds gave him 10 million, if he is content to be the player he currently is and not improve that is totally his perogative.
    It sure is and he would not be the first athlete to be that way.

I don't think Wayne is the type of GM to keep a guy who doesn't want to work to be the best he can. I think he'd rather have less talented guys who give it their all. I'm OK with trading him but after what we got for AK and Felipe I shutter to think what return Wayne will get us for Dunn. If the deal doesn't include a top notch pitching talent and OF talent I'm not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Now that's hustle!

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Listen to the greats in any field of work. They don't look at what they do as just a day job. It's their passion. Baseball doesn't seem to be Dunn's passion, at least to the naked eye.

He's put up the numbers he has based off of sheer athletic ability. The guy's a very good player, but he could be great.
    This is my point Dunn might just look at baseball as a way to make millions of dollars while having fun doing it. Dunn chose basebal over football so he might not be doing what his true passion is and if that is the case baseball could just be a another job for him. We are assuming that Dunn wants to be one of the great players of all time or wants to be the guy that carries a team down the stretch. For all we know he might be content to be a very good player and just get by on what ability they have. He would not be the first person that didn't reach his/her full potential in their profession.

Nobody who hits .234 can remotely be called a "very good player"! What are you smoking? Are you related to Dunn?

Please, son!

What are you smoking?
    Thai stick soaked in Cherry Brandy, what are you smoking?

This is my point Dunn might just look at baseball as a way to make millions of dollars while having fun doing it. Dunn chose basebal over football so he might not be doing what his true passion is and if that is the case baseball could just be a another job for him. We are assuming that Dunn wants to be one of the great players of all time or wants to be the guy that carries a team down the stretch. For all we know he might be content to be a very good player and just get by on what ability they have. He would not be the first person that didn't reach his/her full potential in their profession.
    I think some of us are underestimating the grinding, behind-the-scenes, day-to-day work it takes to be a major league baseball player. And one who routinely hits 40 HRs a year at that.

I'd love to know what you all think Dunn would be capable of if he actually worked rather than "getting by" on sheer natural ability.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?