Jeter
    Abreu
    Sheffield
    Giambi
    ARod
    Matsui
    Posada
    Cano

Absolutely unbelievable - Cano would hit second for the Reds, yet in this lineup I can't see him anywhere but 8th or 9th. Absolutely unbelievable.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yankee Starting Lineup tonight

In other words, this is their lineup ...

Good player
    Hall of Fame caliber player
    Good player
    Good player

Randy Johnson's a Hall of Famer. Mariano Rivera's a Hall of Famer. Mike Mussina is trying to beat the door down to Cooperstown.

That's nine Hall of Fame caliber players on the roster, six of which are in the lineup. If the Yankees do not win the World Series, I'll be a bit shocked.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Basically an all-star lineup. Must be nice to go out and buy a team every year. It's really just absurd/silly...and people wonder why no one goes to Reds games any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    That's nine Hall of Fame caliber players on the roster, six of which are in the lineup. If the Yankees do not win the World Series, I'll be a bit shocked.
    It still comes down to pitching - I'm not sure the Yankees have enough of it to not be upset again this year. Don't get me wrong, I like Wang, Moose and RJ - but none of them are a Santana and none of them are shut down pitchers that can run a series (like Rijo did for the Reds)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

This is what happens when a team with loads of money reads "Moneyball"

This team takes a ton of pitches. They'll drive the Tigers crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    This is what happens when a team with loads of money reads "Moneyball"

This team takes a ton of pitches. They'll drive the Tigers crazy.

I know that's a dig in a way, but that's one of the more original (and true) "yAnkEES havE MONEY$$$$$" arguments I've read.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

I know that's a dig in a way, but that's one of the more original (and true) "yAnkEES havE MONEY$$$$$" arguments I've read.
    It doesn't need to be original to be true.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Giambi and Sheffield are nowhere near being HOF, for many reasons, one of them being their chemically enhanced bodies. (numbers aren't quite there, either).
    Abreu...doesn't quite make it either.

Call them excellent if you like, to distinguish them from the others, but the HOF label is a bit big for them.

Despite the nitpicking, you're right...the lineup is SCARY.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    It doesn't need to be original to be true.
    I didn't say otherwise.

It's insane, but I'm still pulling for the Tigers. If the pitching is ON, they've got a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Giambi and Sheffield are nowhere near being HOF, for many reasons, one of them being their chemically enhanced bodies. (numbers aren't quite there, either).
    I may be in the minority, but I just don't agree that Sheffield is nowhere near being a Hall of Famer.

Steroid issues aside, the guy's put up some very impressive stats - .297, 455 HRs, 1,501 RBIs, 1,433 runs, 2,390 hits, 418 2Bs, 220 SBs with a career .398 OBP and .923 OPS.

Two or three more full seasons, and I'd consider him a lock.

A big downfall is that he's rarely led the league in anything - a batting title in 1992 is about it.

But he's got nine All-Stars, five Silver Sluggers and six top-10s in MVP voting.

He may be borderline, but he's far from being "nowhere near" a Hall of Famer.
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain -- and most fools do. - Benjamin Franklin

A very scarey lineup, but in the postseason it's all about pitching and as someone else mentioned, I'm not sure they have enough of it. Same with the Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    It's insane, but I'm still pulling for the Tigers. If the pitching is ON, they've got a chance.

Their pitching hasn't been "on" for about a month. I think those rookie arms hit the wall. Scary that they couldn't beat Kansas City at home last weekend when they only need one victory to secure the division.

Regarding pitching, I think that people are underestimating Mussina and Wang. Wang is consistent, he's had an amazing year, and he is cool as a cucumber on the mound. He's got good defense to back him up, which is crucial for him. And all of a sudden people seem to have forgotten about Mussina, who in my opinion should be considered as reliable and scary in the postseason as any of the Tigers' kids should prove to be.

If they can go deep into games (which they are both capable of doing), the Yankees pitching could well hold up to the Tigers. It's the Yankees bullpen that causes me more concern. But I was hearing this argument before the 2004 playoffs about the Yankees starting pitching, which IMHO was comparable if not weaker than this year's and it surprised everybody, particularly Mussina. Well, until ALCS game 4.

Did I just read that Puffy said he liked Wang? I must have been dreaming.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Turn Off Ads?