Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, I've done my lobbying...

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Well, I've done my lobbying...

With Vernon Wells here the past few days doing Baseball Tonight for ESPN, I've jokingly chatted with him about how Cincy is a PERFECT fit for him. He's gone along with my banter good-naturedly, but I think it would really take a big contract or the exact right fit for him to leave Toronto. He really loves it there and enjoys the system he's involved in. I swear though, I saw a twinkle in his eye when I told him how great a hitter he was, but imagine his numbers in a bandbox like GABP. Peter Gammons (it's great to see him back and well by the way) and Karl Ravech, both huge Red Sox fans, tried to dismiss my hopes, but I told them I'd rather have Wells than Andruw Jones anyways. That may not have been entirely true, but I winked at Wells and he seemed amused by it all. Must be nice to be a phenomenal hitting talent going into free agency.

He's here for another couple days, anything else I should point out to favor him to the Redlegs?
    No one expects the butterfly

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Well, I've done my lobbying...

He could get his hair cut like Chad Johnson. Seriously keep telling him Dunn and Griffey you would play outfield with Dunn and Griffey.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ThatPitchIsDunn View Post
    He's here for another couple days, anything else I should point out to favor him to the Redlegs?
    Grab onto his legs and plead like a toddler.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Cheerleaders? Redszone? Jerry Narron as manager? Royce Clayton hitting in front of him?
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I believe Toronto's stadium is every bit the hitter's paradise GABP is. That said I'd love to have Wells. I'd want him more than Jones but I'd be speaking frequently to both the Braves and the Jays to see what the asking prices for each are. Getting a quality CF is a MUST this offseason.

Wells is going to command 13-15M in FA over 6-7 years.

I think getting Wells makes no sense for the pitching hungry Reds.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    Getting a quality CF is a MUST this offseason.
    I wouldn't say its a must.. you do have Griffey, Freel, Denorfia, Hopper.. who could play the position. The must is Starting pitching. The must is a Closer.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    I wouldn't say its a must.. you do have Griffey, Freel, Denorfia, Hopper.. who could play the position. The must is Starting pitching. The must is a Closer.
    Add a SS or 2B to the must list.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Add a SS or 2B to the must list.
    I'd like Luis Castillo... but if we could get Marcus Giles from Atlanta I'd be for it as long as the asking price isn't to high

I'd like Luis Castillo... but if we could get Marcus Giles from Atlanta I'd be for it as long as the asking price isn't to high
    Agreed. I thought Wayne said he'd prefer to keep Phillips at 2B and look for a SS but finding a 2B will be a whole lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatPitchIsDunn View Post
    With Vernon Wells here the past few days doing Baseball Tonight for ESPN, I've jokingly chatted with him about how Cincy is a PERFECT fit for him. He's gone along with my banter good-naturedly, but I think it would really take a big contract or the exact right fit for him to leave Toronto. He really loves it there and enjoys the system he's involved in. I swear though, I saw a twinkle in his eye when I told him how great a hitter he was, but imagine his numbers in a bandbox like GABP. Peter Gammons (it's great to see him back and well by the way) and Karl Ravech, both huge Red Sox fans, tried to dismiss my hopes, but I told them I'd rather have Wells than Andruw Jones anyways. That may not have been entirely true, but I winked at Wells and he seemed amused by it all. Must be nice to be a phenomenal hitting talent going into free agency.

Think Toronto would bite?

Vernon Wells to Cincinnati for Travis Wood, Chris Denorfia, Tyler Pelland, and David Shafer

Think Toronto would bite?

Vernon Wells to Cincinnati for Travis Wood, Chris Denorfia, Tyler Pelland, and David Shafer
    Toronto is semi-close to challenging...that would set them back a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Toronto is semi-close to challenging...that would set them back a few years.
    True.. but in a division where you have Boston and New York.. you just got to be lucky.. this way they could spend the money on a Schmidt/Zito type FA..

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

If this site or anything like it has been posted elsewhere I apologize in advance. I was curious about potential free agents for this coming offseason so I went looking for a list and I found this very good website. Has some really good links at the top with a list of possible players available for trade.

Free Agent List

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    If this site or anything like it has been posted elsewhere I apologize in advance. I was curious about potential free agents for this coming offseason so I went looking for a list and I found this very good website. Has some really good links at the top with a list of possible players available for trade.

http://www.mlb4u.com/freeagency.php
    Yup.. pretty good site and a site I frequently head too.. also has some of the latest rumors as well

Turn Off Ads?