Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will Griffey start the 2007 season in Centerfield?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

92 59.35%
  • No

63 40.65%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Griffey start 2007 in Centerfield?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Will Griffey start 2007 in Centerfield?

I'm going to say that he will NOT.

Interested to hear others thoughts, but I truly believe Krivsky will not allow Griffey to be the CF'er in 07.

If he does, he will have lost almost all credibility in my eyes.

How hollow will his proclamations of the importance of defense ring if his CF'er has the worst zone rating of any CF'er in the major leagues?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Will Griffey start 2007 in Centerfield?

Denorfia should already be penciled in, but like I said in the other thread, I don't think they have the nerve to upset Jr.

If he's healthy, Jr is your opening day CF. I vote "yes".

Super.

I voted no although I won't be surprised if he does. I really don't see how Krivsky can allow him to play CF while preaching how important defense is.

Unless they find another option out of the system, yes he will.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Unless they find another option out of the system, yes he will.
    Well, there are better options in-house but I tend to agree with you. It will likely take a "name" player from outside the Reds system to force the change.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Well, there are better options in-house but I tend to agree with you. It will likely take a "name" player from outside the Reds system to force the change.
    And that's a big problem. When the passengers start driving the bus, they are going to miss a few stops.

Will and should are not the same thing.
    Where we gonna go?

No doubt in my mind he will.
    Go Gators!

This is 100% pure tea leaf reading.

But I think the recient spate of articles where Jr proclaims that he will be in CF may backfire on him. Narron would prob bend to Jr's demands, but no so sure about Krivsky.

But I think the person Jr should be warry of upsetting is BC. I have absoutley nothing to base this on other than a gut fealing, but he doesn't strike me as the type of person who likes issues played out in the press. And with a player of Jr's caliber, BC would get involved in a heartbeat, IMO.

Like I said, it's total shot in the dark, but if Jr overplays his hand it might hurt his case more than help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    This is 100% pure tea leaf reading.

But I think the recient spate of articles where Jr proclaims that he will be in CF may backfire on him. Narron would prob bend to Jr's demands, but no so sure about Krivsky.

But I think the person Jr should be warry of upsetting is BC. I have absoutley nothing to base this on other than a gut fealing, but he doesn't strike me as the type of person who likes issues played out in the press. And with a player of Jr's caliber, BC would get involved in a heartbeat, IMO.

Like I said, it's total shot in the dark, but if Jr overplays his hand it might hurt his case more than help.
    The problem with this is, it is a managerial decision, not a GM decision and it will be treated as such.

Ya can't teach speed...

Here are couple of options:

1.)Trade Jr to an American League team (where presumably, if he didn't have the wear and tear on his body playing D he could DH for another couple of years) for a good young pitching prosepect or a front line starter. With his departure put Freel in center (he was a one man highlight film in 06) Denoforia in right/left and Dunn in Right/left.

2.) Keep Jr and put him in left, Freel in center and Denorfia in right. Unload Dunn for a good young pitcher (I would also say "or a front line starter but I wonder what WK could get for all those Ks and a batting average lower than Dunns weight.).
    Last edited by Triples; 01-12-2007 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    Here are couple of options:

1.)Trade Jr to an American League team (where presumably, if he didn't have the wear and tear on his body playing D he could DH for another couple of years) for a good young pitching prosepect or a front line starter.
    At this point, all the Reds would get in return is a marginal player and the Reds would have to pick up a significant portion of Jr's remaining contract. In essence, you'd eat alot to save what you could. He's about as untradeable now as anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    2.) Keep Jr and put him in left, Freel in center and Denorfia in right. Unload Dunn for a good young pitcher (I would also say "or a front line starter but I wonder what WK could get for all those Ks and a batting average lower than Dunns weight.).
    While I agree with the sentiment that Dunn's trade value is at an all time low, it's still magnitudes higher than Griffey's at this point.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

He will be in center.

And Jim Bowden will be chuckling somewhere.

Could the Reds live with Junior in CF if Freel and Deno are playing the corners? Would all the range in RF and LF help offset the severe lack of it in CF? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Could the Reds live with Junior in CF if Freel and Deno are playing the corners? Would all the range in RF and LF help offset the severe lack of it in CF? Just curious.
    The Dunner needs somewhere to kick it, and we all know he is not picking up for lack o range.

Turn Off Ads?