Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will Griffey start the 2007 season in Centerfield?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

92 59.35%
  • No

63 40.65%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Griffey start 2007 in Centerfield?

Re: Will Griffey start 2007 in Centerfield?

Griffey is more powerful than Krivsky or Narron. If he wants to play center, he'll play center.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Until they have a better option (outside the organization), he's in center.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    This is 100% pure tea leaf reading.

But I think the recient spate of articles where Jr proclaims that he will be in CF may backfire on him. Narron would prob bend to Jr's demands, but no so sure about Krivsky.

But I think the person Jr should be warry of upsetting is BC. I have absoutley nothing to base this on other than a gut fealing, but he doesn't strike me as the type of person who likes issues played out in the press. And with a player of Jr's caliber, BC would get involved in a heartbeat, IMO.

Like I said, it's total shot in the dark, but if Jr overplays his hand it might hurt his case more than help.
    The problem with this is, it is a managerial decision, not a GM decision and it will be treated as such.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Until they have a better option (outside the organization), he's in center.
    You said that already. :

I hope so much that Junior is not in center, that I have actually come to believe he won't be.

Yeah, I guess I did say that, didn't I?

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Recovering Cubs Fan

He will be in center. But if God answers prayers, it will be for the Chicago Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Could the Reds live with Junior in CF if Freel and Deno are playing the corners? Would all the range in RF and LF help offset the severe lack of it in CF? Just curious.
    The Dunner needs somewhere to kick it, and we all know he is not picking up for lack o range.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I voted yes, begrudingly. I really hope not, but I just don't have faith that they'll force the move.
    Ditto.

I'd take it a step further... Jr. shouldn't even be in the outfield and we should be asking whether or not he is done....

I fear this upcoming season because I have always been a fan of Jr and I don't want to watch him fall off the cliff... factoring in his defense from center last year, he probably was replacement level in '06. Why should we expect a resurgence with his bat in '07?

I'd stick him at first and try to minimize the wear and tear on his body.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Inertia demands that Jr. remain in CF.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Ditto.
    Double ditto.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

if it's gonna take "someone from outside the organization" to displace Junior. I am willing to authorize a trade for Curtis Granderson.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Senor Votto

Since he broke his throwing hand I would and since he needs to be there any way I want him in Right field. But I'm willing to bet good money that he's in Centerfield this season.

Ya can't teach speed...

Here are couple of options:

1.)Trade Jr to an American League team (where presumably, if he didn't have the wear and tear on his body playing D he could DH for another couple of years) for a good young pitching prosepect or a front line starter. With his departure put Freel in center (he was a one man highlight film in 06) Denoforia in right/left and Dunn in Right/left.

2.) Keep Jr and put him in left, Freel in center and Denorfia in right. Unload Dunn for a good young pitcher (I would also say "or a front line starter but I wonder what WK could get for all those Ks and a batting average lower than Dunns weight.).
    Last edited by Triples; 01-12-2007 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    Here are couple of options:

1.)Trade Jr to an American League team (where presumably, if he didn't have the wear and tear on his body playing D he could DH for another couple of years) for a good young pitching prosepect or a front line starter.
    At this point, all the Reds would get in return is a marginal player and the Reds would have to pick up a significant portion of Jr's remaining contract. In essence, you'd eat alot to save what you could. He's about as untradeable now as anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    2.) Keep Jr and put him in left, Freel in center and Denorfia in right. Unload Dunn for a good young pitcher (I would also say "or a front line starter but I wonder what WK could get for all those Ks and a batting average lower than Dunns weight.).
    While I agree with the sentiment that Dunn's trade value is at an all time low, it's still magnitudes higher than Griffey's at this point.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?