Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Jesus, a positive Adam Dunn article

Sweet Jesus, a positive Adam Dunn article

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...310020031/1071

PITTSBURGH – Adam Dunn was told he was getting the final day of the season off.

But because Norris Hopper had a sore hamstring, Dunn was out there after some chiding of Hopper.

“I got my invite to spring training,” Dunn said.

Dunn played for the 160th time in 162 games. It’s the third straight year he’s hit the 160-game mark.

The Reds, by the way, lost to the Pirates 1-0. The only significance is the Reds finished 80-82, so the streak of losing seasons goes to six.

“It’s hurtful,” Reds manager Jerry Narron said. “but not as hurtful as not making the postseason.”

Dunn was one of two regulars who played in the game. You can question a lot of things about Dunn – and fans do so constantly – but you can’t question his durability or his willingness to play hurt.

There’s the possibility that Sunday’s season finale could have been Dunn’s last game as a Red.

If general manager Wayne Krivsky wants to continue to remake the club -- and indications are he does -- Dunn is the biggest chip to trade.

Krivsky has traded three players like Dunn -- big swingers with a tendency to strike out -- for pitching.

“I don’t worry about it,” he said. “I’ve said it every time I’ve heard my name mentioned about a trade. I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.”

Dunn, 26, had his worst year since 2003. He hit .234 with 40 home runs and 92 RBI and struck out 194 times. In 2005, he hit .247 with 40 home runs and 101 RBI and struck out 166 times.

Dunn’s season was ruined by an awful September. He hit .157 for the month. He had 87 RBI through 126 games. He had five in the last 36 games.

Narron was asked if there was anything Dunn could do different to avoid such a bad September.

“I think I can help,” Narron said. “I think I can give him some time off during the year better than I have. I think if plays maybe 145 or 150 games instead of 160, there’s a possibility that his September will be better.

“That’s something I’ve got to do. I’m not making an excuse for him.”

Dunn never makes excuses for himself. He is as self-deprecating as they come.

When the scoreboard picture at Dolphins Stadium showed him with a handlebar mustache, Dunn threatened to grow one.

“If you play like an ass, you might as well look like an ass,” he said.

Ken Griffey Jr. overheard the remark and said: “Don’t say that. You’re hurting my feelings.”

Griffey thinks Dunn should ease up on Dunn a bit.

“He’s too hard on himself only because he wants to do well,” Griffey said. “If he wasn’t that hard on himself, it would mean he didn’t care. That is the furthest thing from the truth. Adam cares about the way he hits, the way he fields, the way he runs the bases. He cares.”

But Dunn is the guy fans love to hate.

“He takes a lot of abuse out in the outfield,” Griffey said. “He goes out there and gives it a solid effort. No one can say he’s not out there trying.”

Dunn will occasionally fire back at critics, but mostly he just takes it.

“You always want to fire back,” he said. “I don’t care. I don’t play for them. They expect a lot of me. That’s fine.”

But Dunn bristles at the notion that he doesn’t give it his best effort or doesn’t work hard.

“I wouldn’t play 160 games if I wasn’t trying,” he said. “You have work hard to play 160 games and do it every year you’ve got to be doing something to keep your body right. I work to keep my body in shape to keep me in there for 160 games. That’s pretty good.”

Narron says he’s been satisfied with Dunn’s effort.

“People want him to run out on the field like Ryan Freel,” Narron said. “He’s not going to do that. Even if he does that, he’s not going to look like Ryan Freel. The guy’s 6-6, 270 pounds.”

This was Dunn’s first foray into meaningful September baseball. He’s learned something from it.

“I think a lot of it had to do with me trying to do much, maybe trying to hard,” he said. “Other than that, I don’t know. Physically, I’m fine. I’ve got no excuse there.”

There he goes again.

“He is so hard on himself, harder than anyone else,” Griffey said. “But that’s the way you have to be to play this game.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sweet Jesus, a positive Adam Dunn article

Go figure the article doesnt mention how lazy he is and we have zero responses.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Go figure the article doesnt mention how lazy he is
    they missed him sleeping between innings and crawling out to his position
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Dunn had a bad year. It happens.
    Bench had several bad years (1971, 1976).
    Perez and Concepcion, also.
    Even Ted Williams had bad years (although I'd take one of those anyday)

He gets a pass from me till April.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Dunn didn't accomplish what was hoped/expected for him. I still want him on the team next season unless you get something better than Dunn by trading him.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Go figure the article doesnt mention how lazy he is and we have zero responses.
    I am from Missouri so Dunn has to show me that he is not lazy. Adam pick up your glove/bat in the off season, lose 30 lbs, cut down on your swing and I will believe the content of this article.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Krivsky has traded three players like Dunn -- big swingers with a tendency to strike out -- for pitching.

I know of Kearns and Pena (even though they have never put up the consistent numbers of a Dunn), but who is the 3rd? Lopez? That's a stretch IMO.

Actually folks, I had it figured out a long time ago. The only reason Dunn hits Hrs is so he can take his time running around the bases.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-03-2006 at 08:37 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Poor Dunn....bless his heart
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

I have often wondered why Dunn wants to play in Cincinnati. I will admit I was kind of suprised when he signed the new deal at the start of the year. I'm sure he hears 700 and reads the papers I dont know why he wants to be here. Anyone think he would get it this bad no matter where he played?

I have often wondered why Dunn wants to play in Cincinnati. I will admit I was kind of suprised when he signed the new deal at the start of the year. I'm sure he hears 700 and reads the papers I dont know why he wants to be here. Anyone think he would get it this bad no matter where he played?
    I don't know about everywhere, but I do know Philly treated Abreu the same way.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Anyone think he would get it this bad no matter where he played?
    Yes. The city and fans of Cincinnati hardly have a monopoly on complaining about our players.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I know I just feel like Dunn takes way more than his fair share.

I think most A's fans wouldn't have any problem with Dunn, and in my experience all the A's fans that I know salivate over him and wish he was in in an Oakland uniform.

Giants fans know how valuable Bonds and all his walks have been so I tend to think they'd understand and appreciate Dunn's game with his walks and on-base percentage.

This is somewhat of an educated guess, but I think he'd be more popular in San Diego than most other places too.

Boston would be an interesting city, for sure. They have a cult following over at SOSH, and most of the posters over at SOSH have a very strong understanding of how runs are produced. Most of them seem to like Wily Mo because they understand Wily Mo's power and age while also not caring too much about his strikeouts.

Philadelphia would probably be the place where Dunn would be hated the most. Dunn would probably top Abreu and Burrell on the Phillies Phans Hate List, and that'd be an impressive accomplishment.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Dunn didn't accomplish what was hoped/expected for him. I still want him on the team next season unless you get something better than Dunn by trading him.
    Did McCarver post this? I think everyone wants Dunn on next year's team UNLESS Wayne trades him and gets something better than Dunn...

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Dunn had a bad year. It happens.
    Bench had several bad years (1971, 1976).
    Perez and Concepcion, also.
    Even Ted Williams had bad years (although I'd take one of those anyday)

He gets a pass from me till April.
    Dunn's "bad" year wasn't all that bad compared to last year. He was at least in the ballpark in most offensive categories relative to 2005. Look at Bench's '71 season compared to his 2 MVP seasons surrounding it. Now that would be considered a bad year, though with JB his defense more than compensated for it.

I think the issue is that he isn't improving and, in some respects, he is regressing.

2004: .266/.388/.569 with 46 HR, 102 RBI, 105 R
    2005: .247/.388/.540 with 40 HR, 101 RBI, 107 R
    2006: .234/.365/.490 with 40 HR, 92 RBI, 99 R

Dunn is still young so most people (including myself) would have thought that his 2004 season would be the tip of the iceberg at age 24. But he hasn't built on that season at all.

Turn Off Ads?