Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sweet Jesus, a positive Adam Dunn article

Re: Sweet Jesus, a positive Adam Dunn article

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    From what Jr. said in the article, they're already doing that right here in Cincinnati, especially those sitting in left field.
    That's probably true. VP would know more about this than I would but I'm thinking that the abuse would be worse in NYC than here.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's probably true. VP would know more about this than I would but I'm thinking that the abuse would be worse in NYC than here.
    I don't know. I've sat in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium...they are absolutely brutal on the opponents, but don't seem too bad on the home time. They'll give a guy a hard time if he flubs a catch or something like that. The talk shows can get harsh, and the media is much, much tougher than Cincy's.

The Anit-ARod sentiment is the worst that I've seen against any one "home" player in recent memory. The last guy that was disliked as much as ARod was probably Andy Hawkins. The fans didn't like Tino Martinez when he first arrived because they loved Donny "Baseball" Mattingly so much, but now Tino's an icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think it would. There would be no holding back in the type of language used or the amount or loudness of yelling. And this is no between-innings or batter's-warming-up-only abuse; they're not going to shut up just because he's in the middle of fielding or batting. Also, you have the simple fact that it would sound louder and more abusive since there is typically a sold out 55,000-person crowd in Yankee Stadium and only five people in Great American Ballpark.

I'm not necessarily criticizing New York fans for this; if Adam Dunn suffered this kind of ribbing there, he would also enjoy directly proportionate love when he did well, from the fans and the city. I think you just have to have a certain shield and BS filter to be able to put up with it all around.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I don't know. I've sat in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium...they are absolutely brutal on the opponents, but don't seem too bad on the home time. They'll give a guy a hard time if he flubs a catch or something like that.
    For as much as the bleachers have a reputation for being home of low-lifes in stadiums across the nations, I actually think the bleachers at Yankee Stadium are the most civilized place there. This is no doubt due in part to the fact that you can no longer drink there.

I think the stands are more harsh. Over by the left field line and at the plate is where I think he'd suffer most. But I will say this for fans, which kind of goes along with what you said: they are intensely into the game, they're not usually there just to get drunk and have a good time. So when a good play is made or whatever, they appreciate it and can turn on a dime.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    For as much as the bleachers have a reputation for being home of low-lifes in stadiums across the nations, I actually think the bleachers at Yankee Stadium are the most civilized place there. This is no doubt due in part to the fact that you can no longer drink there.
    Now if he played at Shea, all bets are off...

Turn Off Ads?