Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Jesus, a positive Adam Dunn article

Re: Sweet Jesus, a positive Adam Dunn article

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I am from Missouri so Dunn has to show me that he is not lazy. Adam pick up your glove/bat in the off season, lose 30 lbs, cut down on your swing and I will believe the content of this article.
    He showed you in 2004 and 2005. All that mercury in the Missouri water supply must have left you with a short-term memory.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Poor Dunn....bless his heart
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 10-04-2006 at 10:25 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I think most A's fans wouldn't have any problem with Dunn, and in my experience all the A's fans that I know salivate over him and wish he was in in an Oakland uniform.

Giants fans know how valuable Bonds and all his walks have been so I tend to think they'd understand and appreciate Dunn's game with his walks and on-base percentage.

This is somewhat of an educated guess, but I think he'd be more popular in San Diego than most other places too.

Boston would be an interesting city, for sure. They have a cult following over at SOSH, and most of the posters over at SOSH have a very strong understanding of how runs are produced. Most of them seem to like Wily Mo because they understand Wily Mo's power and age while also not caring too much about his strikeouts.

Philadelphia would probably be the place where Dunn would be hated the most. Dunn would probably top Abreu and Burrell on the Phillies Phans Hate List, and that'd be an impressive accomplishment.
    The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. These other cities don't see Dunn every day. They see the Sportscenter highlights and the stats but unless you see him day in and day out you don't see his faults first hand. I think people are pretty much the same everywhere and I think no matter where Dunn played, he'd be criticized for the same things he's criticized here. Perhaps on a team like the Yankees where they already have 3-4 big stars, he might slip under the radar but it's a big city with a lot of media so I'm guessing he'd be in for some ciriticism there too but it might get lost in the shuffle.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I don't know about everywhere, but I do know Philly treated Abreu the same way.
    Yeah, I never quite figured that one out. Phillies fans ran Abreu out of town on a rail and cheered when he was gone. Careful what you wish for, Reds fans.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Yeah, I never quite figured that one out. Phillies fans ran Abreu out of town on a rail and cheered when he was gone. Careful what you wish for, Reds fans.
    Think Howard will turn out the same way?

I like Adam always have thought he and Kearns would both be here for awhile but 6ft6 275lbs is not helping him improve his play. He has put on more weight every year he has been here and it has affected his speed on the bases and in the field. It would be nice to see a slimmer Dunn this upcoming spring training. It also would be nice to rest the guy 15 games or so. It would take a lot from a team to make me trade Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Think Howard will turn out the same way?
    Let's ask Richie Allen.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. These other cities don't see Dunn every day. They see the Sportscenter highlights and the stats but unless you see him day in and day out you don't see his faults first hand. I think people are pretty much the same everywhere and I think no matter where Dunn played, he'd be criticized for the same things he's criticized here. Perhaps on a team like the Yankees where they already have 3-4 big stars, he might slip under the radar but it's a big city with a lot of media so I'm guessing he'd be in for some ciriticism there too but it might get lost in the shuffle.

I agree. Great post.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

I'll second that. Nice post, Chip.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I don't know of too many ballplayers, with high expectations, who would get lost in the shuffle in New York. Especially if they don't play up to their (NY fans) expectations.

Arod says Hi!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I don't know of too many ballplayers, with high expectations, who would get lost in the shuffle in New York. Especially if they don't play up to their (NY fans) expectations.

Arod says Hi!
    That's my point. When you have guys who get attention like ARod, Jeter, Sheffield, Giambi and Damon on the team with Steinbrenner upstairs and Torre in the dugout, a ballplayer who may have been not only unappreciated but reviled in one place could go to a team like the Yankees and no matter what he did, the focus would be off him. Gee, I wonder if that's ever happened? cough...Bobby Abreau...cough.

Gee, I wonder if that's ever happened? cough...Bobby Abreau...cough.
    Bobby Abreu walked into Yankee Stadium and started tearing the cover off the ball from the second he arrived. Yes, he was embraced.

If Dunn was in NY and had a season like what we just went through, they'd be comparing him to Kevin Maas and Steve Balboni.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Bobby Abreu walked into Yankee Stadium and started tearing the cover off the ball from the second he arrived. Yes, he was embraced.

If Dunn was in NY and had a season like what we just went through, they'd be comparing him to Kevin Maas and Steve Balboni.
    And that's true. Abreau did hit rather well for the Yankees when he came over. But even if he didn't or doesn't play well, the media is so fixated on all the other players and non-players that while he would be criticized, it wouldn't be as bad as it would be in a smaller city where there's more focus on one or two individuals. Yesterday Sheffield went 0-4 with 3 Ks and left 3 guys on base. But all we hear is how ARod failed again. I'm not saying an underperforming player on a team like the Yankees would be immune to criticism but it wouldn't be as bad as it would be on a team with fewer big names.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post

I heard they jerked Balboni's passport, and he is no longer allowed in NYC.

I remember when he played at Columbus. Another minor league phenom who couldn't pan out at the ML level.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

The media in New York would even out and not be too much of a difference for Dunn.

The fans -- the in-person, vocal fans, not the ones running around on the computer -- would.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    The fans -- the in-person, vocal fans, not the ones running around on the computer -- would.
    From what Jr. said in the article, they're already doing that right here in Cincinnati, especially those sitting in left field.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?