Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiotic McCarver Comments...Post 'em here

Idiotic McCarver Comments...Post 'em here

OK Baseball fans, it’s unfortunately that time of the year again, where we get to listen to the brilliance of Tim McCarver. If only 5.1 stereo could block his channel of speaking. Having grown up listening and learning from Vin Scully, I have to cover my kids ears during the broadcast...and whenever I used adjectives to describe Timmy.

While my personal favorite was his insight when someone was holding up a yellow “John 3:16" sign and he injected “That must be a huge Tommy John fan, reminding all of us about his ERA…” I’m sure there will be many others this post season.

Here’s your chance to post them during tonight’s Tigers-Yankees games, as well as your “favorites” from the past.

Tim McCarver…the only guy who can make John Kruk sound like a genius.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Idiotic McCarver Comments...Post 'em here

I generally agree....but the Tommy John comment was tongue-in-cheek and I actually thought it was hilarious.
    Let's play two!!!

My favorite Tim McCarver moment was during Game 3 of the World Series last year, in about the 13th or 14th inning. I had drunk an entire bottle of wine by that point (this was not intended...I had thought the game would go nine innings or something crazy like that, so I did not moderate my drinking) and was on my way to exhaustion, and all of a sudden I hear Tim McCarver say "Well, one thing is clear: whoever wins this game is going to have to do so unconventionally." Huh, I thought. I wonder what that means. And on cue, my phone rang. "Hello?" "What the hell does that mean?!?" (My friends think Tim McCarver is even more of an idiot than I do.)

That was the same series in which he informed us of the following (paraphrased, but not far off):

"AJ Pierzinsky and Joe Crede both became fathers to daughters this year. Pierzinsky's wife gave birth in July, and just three weeks ago Crede's wife had a baby, also a girl."

"You don't give a team four outs in an inning. And in the World Series, you especially don't give a team...four outs...an in inning."

"Some balls are just hit to places where you have no play."

Ooooooh I am so excited!!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Semi off topic, but I actually kind of like announcers like that. The guys that give you quotable material, even if it does leave you stunned with a "what the... did he just say."

I feel the same way about John Madden sometimes, the man rambles on and on, but I actually think it's hilarious.

"With a 3-0 pitch, Guillen will be looking for a pitch to put him on base."

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

"Isn't it amazing how fast the bat speed of Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield is"

That's really just me hating the Yankees and their lack of class for the way they handled those two.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    "With a 3-0 pitch, Guillen will be looking for a pitch to put him on base."

I thought he said "not a pitch to get the runner to third, but to score him" which makes sense. He might have said you said too, but I also heard this. Maybe he covered for it.

"Mariln Monroe honeymooned in Japan..."

Bring back Harold Reynolds and give me a hug.

The plastic Mr. Potato Head on the floor has more baseball sense than... OK... nevermind.

Nice rip by Casey at the bat.

AvesIce51 I just noticed your season record. I finished 2-11. Let me know when your going next season.

As for McCarver I dont understand why FOX still has him around, they have to hear all the complaints.

I really wish he would just dry up and blow away. I've been sick of him for years.

What's funny is, which ever network carries the national broadcast, being ABC, CBS and now FOX, they hire him. At least NBC was smart enough not to bring him on board.

(paraphrasing)

"What's difficult about this postseason series is that it's 5 games. They go through all that, play 162 games, and then to come here and play five games is tough."

The Monroe/DiMaggio story was also quite funny.

Actually all told he wasn't too bad tonight though, neither was Buck. I laughed out loud when they had the exchange about Donald Trump and his wife.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by BigREDSfaninKY View Post
    What's funny is, which ever network carries the national broadcast, being ABC, CBS and now FOX, they hire him. At least NBC was smart enough not to bring him on board.
    That's easy too understand really. To knowledgeable fans like the kind who would spend a lot of time on a board like this, his observations are simplistic and obvious. But, to the average banana phone type, these observations are not obvious. The networks are going for the mass audience. They know the hardcore fans will watch no matter who the announcer is.

I liked it when Dion Sanders poured water on him.

Turn Off Ads?