Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great American Ball Park Field to Be Auctioned to Fans (pieces of it anyway) 10/2

Great American Ball Park Field to Be Auctioned to Fans (pieces of it anyway) 10/2

Oct. 2, 2006

Great American Ball Park Field to Be Auctioned to Fans
    Rob Butcher / Director of Media Relations

CINCINNATI – Reds fans can soon bring a piece of Great American Ball Park to their backyards – literally.

Beginning on tomorrow (Tuesday, October 3) at noon, the Reds Community Fund will sell authentic sod samples from the Reds ballpark exclusively at reds.com.

A total of 150 individual pieces of sod from the ballpark’s playing surface will be auctioned off in 12” x 20” sections. Each section of sod costs $50 and comes with an official certificate of authenticity from Reds Chief Executive Officer Robert H. Castellini and Great American Ball Park Head Groundskeeper Doug A. Gallant. Instructions on how to care for the sod will also be provided.

Buyers will be able to pick up the sod samples at the Fan Zone at Great American Ball Park at a time and date to be determined. Sod samples cannot be shipped, so the RCF encourages local buyers only.

The sod at Great American Ball Park is comprised of five varieties of Kentucky bluegrass and was custom grown for the Reds in Brookville, Ind. It was replaced this year after four seasons of use. Parts of the field have been replaced since its original installation, but never the whole field. This is the first time Great American Ball Park sod pieces will be available for sale to the general public.

In addition to the first Opening Day of Great American Ball in 2003, this field has seen visits by two Presidents (George H.W. Bush in 2003 and George W. Bush in 2006) and one Vice President (Dick Cheney in 2004), the only game in Major League Baseball history with three members of the 500 home-run club (Rafael Palmeiro, Sammy Sosa and Ken Griffey Jr. in 2005), the longest recorded home run in Reds history (Adam Dunn’s 535-foot shot in 2004) and countless other ceremonies, milestones, a uniform-number retirement (Sparky Anderson’s No. 10) and four Reds Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

For more information on the Reds Community Fund, please visit www.redscommunityfund.com. To make a purchase, please visit reds.com.
    http://www.sportsfeatures.com/index....=show&id=32879
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Great American Ball Park Field to Be Auctioned to Fans (pieces of it anyway) 10/2

I might just have to do this.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Re: Great American Ball Park Field to Be Auctioned to Fans (pieces of it anyway) 10/2

Technically, the blades of grass that will be growing from the sod you get did not exist when all those events happened at GAB. I'm no biologist, but I would assume that the root system has changed since then, as well. So wouldn't you really be getting some sod that is a descendant of the sod that witnessed all those events?

I haven't had good luck with playing surface samples. I bought one of those squares of Astroturf from Riverfront, failed to water it properly, and it dried up and died a few weeks later.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

WOW! Sign me up!

"Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Wont this stuff just die? Sounds like the Reds are trying to pull a "swamp land in florida" type of scheme.

No offense to those considering, but this is a waste of money. But to each their own.

I agree with smith.. No offense to those considering it.. but this seems very cheesy. How much money could they possibly make from doing this? (After paying the expenses to get the sod cut up?) Probably none. Why even bother trying to save the worn out sod? Just till it under and plant new grass. That way those "historic" plant fragments can still be part of the GAB.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I agree with smith.. No offense to those considering it.. but this seems very cheesy. How much money could they possibly make from doing this? (After paying the expenses to get the sod cut up?) Probably none. Why even bother trying to save the worn out sod? Just till it under and plant new grass. That way those "historic" plant fragments can still be part of the GAB.
    150 X $50 = $7500

If they're going to replace the sod, why not sell a few pieces to make a few bucks for a charitable foundation???

PS: It's not really a good idea, agronomically speaking, to lay new sod over "tilled under" sod.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

So they break even on doing that. It's kind of like when they decided they needed fake grass in the Astrodome. The owner of the Astros, Judge Roy Hofheinz, talked to the people at Monsanto and they said they could do that and it would cost him so much money. Hofheinz said, "What a coincidence. That's exactly how much I was going to charge you for promoting it."

For someone who complains about the Reds spending money needlessly, I'd think you'd applaud them for finding a way to replace the grass and breaking even while doing it instead of just spending money to replace the grass that could have gone to sign a draft choice or something.

Is it cheesy? Probably. But no one is putting a gun to anyone's head to buy it. If you have a lawn, you could always put it in there in the middle of the lawn and tell people that part of your lawn used to be used at GAB.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Is it cheesy? Probably. But no one is putting a gun to anyone's head to buy it. If you have a lawn, you could always put it in there in the middle of the lawn and tell people that part of your lawn used to be used at GAB.

That might be a bad idea... The grass in my yard consists mainly of 18% grass, 70% crabgrass, 10% clover and 2% of some weird viney weed that looks sort of like really small lilly pads... all of which would choke the living crap out of the GAB patch.

Just to point this out, the article did state:
    Beginning on tomorrow (Tuesday, October 3) at noon, the Reds Community Fund will sell authentic sod samples from the Reds ballpark exclusively at reds.com.
    So at least part of the proceeds are going to charity.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    150 X $50 = $7500

If they're going to replace the sod, why not sell a few pieces to make a few bucks for a charitable foundation???

PS: It's not really a good idea, agronomically speaking, to lay new sod over "tilled under" sod.

Ok, I didn't realize it was only 150 pieces. I thought they were tearing the whole thing up.

Ok, maybe tilling up wasn't the perfect solution. I'm sure there's a way to lay new sod without cutting up the existing sod into squares suitable for resale.

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    For someone who complains about the Reds spending money needlessly, I'd think you'd applaud them for finding a way to replace the grass and breaking even while doing it instead of just spending money to replace the grass that could have gone to sign a draft choice or something.
    There's a big difference between spending 1.2 million on lobbying and this.

I just think it's cheesey, the point was that this wasn't going to be a big money maker anyhow. I didn't realize that a portion of this money was going to charity (or maybe all of it is).. I did make a mistake there and overlooked that. It's still cheesey, but at least it's for charity, which makes it a lot more palatable.

Are you going to buy a piece, Chip? Just curious..

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Wont this stuff just die? Sounds like the Reds are trying to pull a "swamp land in florida" type of scheme.

No offense to those considering, but this is a waste of money. But to each their own.
    If you establish it in a section of your lawn, why would it die? People sod their lawns all the time.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    If you establish it in a section of your lawn, why would it die? People sod their lawns all the time.
    This type of turf is a little more specialized than what the average homeowner would buy from a sod farm. I would guess it would die/get taken over rather quickly without extreme care.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Ok, I didn't realize it was only 150 pieces. I thought they were tearing the whole thing up.

They are tearing the whole thing up, but will sell only 150 pieces.

Turn Off Ads?