Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time To Fire Up The Hot Stove

Time To Fire Up The Hot Stove

For the Reds, it is the offseason and there is much work to be done. So let me throw this trade proposal out there:

Reds trade OF Adam Dunn and infielder Brendan Harris to the Astros for OF Luke Scott, 2nd baseman Chris Burke and RHP Brad Lidge.

Griffey goes to LF while Denorifa and Freel man centerfield. Scott is the Reds new RF. Phillips is the shortstop while Burke takes over at second. But with a free agent market that is scarce in closers, the alternative for the Reds is the trade market for a closer. Brad Lidge had a horrible season and it is clear that he needs a change of scenery.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Time To Fire Up The Hot Stove

how about Dunn for Berkman?? I dont see the Astros giving away Scott.. he was the reason they got rid of Preston Wilson and he struck out less than Dunn!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    how about Dunn for Berkman?? I dont see the Astros giving away Scott.. he was the reason they got rid of Preston Wilson and he struck out less than Dunn!

I would settle for Dunn for Scott and Lidge. I think Scott will be a solid major league player.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I don't like the idea of trading Dunn within the division.

That's not enough for Dunn. Let him build his value up next season.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I'm thinking that Krivsky won't make a trade the day after the season ends. Who knows though, he has been pretty active this season.....

As for the trade, I think that'd be a nice package to get in return for Dunn, I just don't see the Astros making that deal.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    For the Reds, it is the offseason and there is much work to be done. So let me throw this trade proposal out there:

Reds trade OF Adam Dunn and infielder Brendan Harris to the Astros for OF Luke Scott, 2nd baseman Chris Burke and RHP Brad Lidge.

Griffey goes to LF while Denorifa and Freel man centerfield. Scott is the Reds new RF. Phillips is the shortstop while Burke takes over at second. But with a free agent market that is scarce in closers, the alternative for the Reds is the trade market for a closer. Brad Lidge had a horrible season and it is clear that he needs a change of scenery.
    Krusty I need more, much more for Dunn and associates because six straight years of losing is enough.

I need three championship caliber outfielders, I need a second baseman, third baseman, and shortstop that can actually field, throw the ball and hit it, I need a first baseman with some pop in his bat, I need number 3, 4, 5 starting pitchers, an additional group of reliable relief pitchers, a solid closer, then some bench players. A manager who can synchronize the entire unit and get the best from his people as possible. Also need payroll flexibility by ridding the team of some objective/goal blocking contracts such as Milton’s, Larue, Griffey etc.

A couple of friends of mine are A's fans and they are really hoping Dunn ends up in Oakland this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Krusty I need more, much more for Dunn and associates because six straight years of losing is enough.

I need three championship caliber outfielders, I need a second baseman, third baseman, and shortstop that can actually field, throw the ball and hit it, I need a first baseman with some pop in his bat, I need number 3, 4, 5 starting pitchers, an additional group of reliable relief pitchers, a solid closer, then some bench players. A manager who can synchronize the entire unit and get the best from his people as possible. Also need payroll flexibility by ridding the team of some objective/goal blocking contracts such as Milton’s, Larue, Griffey etc.
    So this team has no talent and is in total overhaul mode, & the only thing they have is two starting pitchers?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Away from the Dunn front, I've stated before earlier in the year, and I still believe this would be a good course of action:

Make Bronson Arroyo available for trade.

I'm not at all saying give him away. Hear me out. This season very well may be a career year for Bronson. The pitching market is razor thin this winter. He's signed pretty cheaply for two more seasons. I think someone may just be willing to overpay based on a career season.

The Reds would have the upper hand in any negotiations involving a deal for Arroyo. They do not have to trade him. Krivsky would just put his feet up on the desk and say to other GM's "fire away, boys!" If someone knocks you over, giving up two top notch propsects and a Major League ready arm then you do it. If you don't get what you think is fair, you go into 2007 with him in the rotation.

I believe the best way to go is to cash in on Arroyo right now.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Lidge is the type of streaky reliever that the Reds don't need. So basically all we would get for Dunn would be Burke. I would have to pass on that deal. If a Dunn trade were to be made I would love one of Toronto's outfielders Rio's or Wells for him. I have heard that the offers for Dunn might underwhelm Krivs. Many GM's don't like his game if a trade were to come it would be from the AL were they could hide his D.

Mmmm a 28 year old breakout, a guy who wil be 27 year old that can't take 2nd away from Biggio and a 21st century Mitch Williams.

At least Frank Robinson got the PCL batting champ and a stud middle reliever along with Pappas.

Luke Scott could be the next Kevin Maas, Burke the next Joe McEwing, and Dunn the next Frank Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Away from the Dunn front, I've stated before earlier in the year, and I still believe this would be a good course of action:

Make Bronson Arroyo available for trade.

I'm not at all saying give him away. Hear me out. This season very well may be a career year for Bronson. The pitching market is razor thin this winter. He's signed pretty cheaply for two more seasons. I think someone may just be willing to overpay based on a career season.

The Reds would have the upper hand in any negotiations involving a deal for Arroyo. They do not have to trade him. Krivsky would just put his feet up on the desk and say to other GM's "fire away, boys!" If someone knocks you over, giving up two top notch propsects and a Major League ready arm then you do it. If you don't get what you think is fair, you go into 2007 with him in the rotation.

I believe the best way to go is to cash in on Arroyo right now.
    I agree, this could be very smart. As much as I love Bronson Arroyo and his salary, the return could be outstanding. Imagine a Mark Mulder to the Cards type of return. The A's got Danny Haren (young ML-ready SP, think Aaron Harang), Kiko Calero (great bullpen arm), and Daric Barton (hotshot C prospect). If we could get a similar return, we couldn't say no.

The problem with the mulder comparison is that mulder was dominate for a couple of years and was one of the best young pitchers in baseball. Arroyo was a 5th starter, long bullpen man before he came here. He had a great year but it was his first year in the majors and he did struggle for two months of the season. I personally love him and think he will only do better next year but this is what another gm would say and why we couldnt get a loaded package for him. Keep him, hes cheap and good, theres no guarantee that any young pitcher you get is going to be as good as him and its going to be hard to be better than him.

O'Brien Hot Stove:

Krivsky Hot Stove:

I think it's going to be a busy offseason.

Turn Off Ads?