nippertw

Thom Brennaman to join Dad!

News @ 700WLW

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thom Brennaman to join Dad!

Is this for real? If so great!!!

happy first post
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Tis being reported now as fact and not speculation. A 4 year contract to do both TV and radio, around 90 games next season.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Catellini just made his big splash! To do this now makes me look forward to the offseason and BC proactive wallet.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Am i the only one not overly joyed by this?

Sounds like nepotism to worst degree. Sure Thom is a fine announcer but I really want some consistency in the booth and with Thom's other commitments as well as dear old grumpy dad along side. I would be fine is Thom REPLACED Marty and they added a former Red who knows the game (Paul O'Neil for example).

Color me unimpressed.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post

Sounds like nepotism to worst degree. Sure Thom is a fine announcer but I really want some consistency in the booth and with Thom's other commitments as well as dear old grumpy dad along side. I would be fine is Thom REPLACED Marty and they added a former Red who knows the game (Paul O'Neil for example).

Color me unimpressed.
    Nepotism is giving someone a job or business ONLY because they are family or friend. Thom is highly qualified for this job, so bending over backwards to get him seems more like working with someone that is highly regarded and has options. Just an aside, hiring "former Reds" because they are former Reds is nepotism as well.

Yeah, I can show you a clear case of nepotism at my alma mater. I don't feel that way at all about the hiring of a quality announcer in Thom. Thumbs up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post

Color me unimpressed.

I've always liked Thom. It's not nepotism if he's actually very qualified for the gig. I wouldn't be against Thom and Paul doing that.

The problem I have is it's only 90 games a year. I don't understand why he's only doing 90 games. Fox doesn't start the game of the week till June. Even if you let him off for Friday, Saturday and Sunday games every week from June through Sept, that's still 114 games he can do. Say what you want about Steve but he was there for 162 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Yeah, I can show you a clear case of nepotism at my alma mater. I don't feel that way at all about the hiring of a quality announcer in Thom.
    Nor do I--I have to applaud this move. Claiming nepotism here is simply looking for something to bark about, IMO.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Retired

90 games? That's 55% of the season, why bother to come at all if you are only going to be here about half the time?

The Reds are setting themselves up to replace Marty in a few years. I like that they have hired Thom. Good announcer.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    90 games? That's 55% of the season, why bother to come at all if you are only going to be here about half the time?
    The WLW site says that there will be a 4:00 PM press conference. Hopefully we'll hear the rest of the story then because there has to be more to it.

Fox is going to do games every Saturday from start to finish next year.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Nepotism is giving someone a job or business ONLY because they are family or friend. Thom is highly qualified for this job, so bending over backwards to get him seems more like working with someone that is highly regarded and has options. Just an aside, hiring "former Reds" because they are former Reds is nepotism as well.
    I never said Thom isnt qualified. Im simply saying Thom should replace Marty when Marty is done. Two pencil jocks weilding the announcing is sometimes like listening to two Hollywood actors trying to report on the policies of the govt. Somebody with some relative experience playing the sport makes it more worthwhile.

Hopefully they add someone else while Marty takes his 3 innings off doing whatever the heck he does. (what DOES he do anyways? Is PBP that strenuous?)

Turn Off Ads?