Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark DeRosa

Mark DeRosa

Would be a good acquisition

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Mark DeRosa

DeRosa would be an upgrade over our current options, but will be 32 and coming off a career year offensively (.813 OPS). He actually hit just as well on the road as at home and played solid defense. I'd be game if he was relatively cheap, but he's probably not a long term answer and may get a sizable offer somewhere.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Why would we want DeRosa when we have Castro locked up for two more seasons?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Excellent riposte, in fact as well as Castro we should "lock up" Batista and other previous Cuban leaders

I had a post before mentioning this.

I don't think (atleast I hope to the highest of heavens) that Castro will be a starter. I would like to see us deal or try to sign a 2B or SS. Mark DeRosa is an interesting guy, a lot like Aurilia hitting wise with a little less pop, but more doubles (but who know at our park). I don't know about his fielding though. I would like a good fielding middle IF, and DeRosa played some OF this year and lately (= no range?).

I would also like to see us make a run at Soriano despite the ginormous price tag. He would have 60 HR's here....atleast. He played in a huge hole in the Earth and hit about 50 this year, unreal. I would deal with his awful D for his bat.

I may be crazy but I think we will see Castro as our starting ss next year. I dont think its all that bad though for these reasons. 1) excellant middle infield defense, and 2) it frees up money to sign other more needful positions, i.e. closers, 1 starter, CF, and a backup inf. I would much rather have these acquistions instead:

1)Danys Baez-closer who wants out of ATL after the Wickman resigning.
    2)Juan Pierre-Cf with speed, defense,a glove and a true leadoff man, and makes us solid up the middle.
    3)Ted Lilly-Lefty starter who can help man the backend of the rotation and gives us an above average rotation depending on lizard.
    4)Craig Counsell-becomes another inf option with the likely departure of Aurilia.
    --all can be aquired for @ 15 million more than 2006 payroll

So the 2007 Reds would be:
    lineup:
    1)cf pierre
    2)2b Phillips
    3)lf dunn
    4)3b EE
    5)rf Griffey
    6)c ross
    7)1b Hatteberg/Votto
    8)ss castro
    bench players-valentin(c) Freel(utl) Counsel(utl) Hatteberg/Votto(1b) Denorfia(of)

starters- Arroyo, Harang, Lilly, Milton, Lizard
    bullpen-Baez,Bray,Majewski,Coffey,Belisle,Claussen,Cormier

IMHO we will trade Larue for middle prospects and include cash to get it done, and Clayton may be resigned instead of Counsell. As far as trading Dunn I would hold out till his value is higher. I like this team better cause the defense is better, we have good starting pitching, and we have addressed the bullpen woes. and the top of the lineup is speed, followed by power, followed by contact hitters. That's a good combination. just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    2)Juan Pierre-Cf with speed, defense,a glove and a true leadoff man, and makes us solid up the middle.
    Improving CF defense would be my top priority if I were the Reds this offseason. However I want no part of Pierre and his putrid OPS. We would be much better off with a Deno- Freel platoon. I really want Andruw Jones if he is truly on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    DeRosa would be an upgrade over our current options, but will be 32 and coming off a career year offensively (.813 OPS). He actually hit just as well on the road as at home and played solid defense. I'd be game if he was relatively cheap, but he's probably not a long term answer and may get a sizable offer somewhere.
    Ugh...went to my rival HS and I was never a big fan of his. I would have a tough time trying to root for him.

Pass unless he's cheap ($1 Million per year at 2 years tops). Lots of 2B options out there if you are going to pay anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Pass unless he's cheap ($1 Million per year at 2 years tops). Lots of 2B options out there if you are going to pay anything.
    Find me a 2B that hits like DeRosa that is available not named Soriano ($$) or Durham (would want a lucrative deal as well).

2) it frees up money to sign other more needful positions, i.e. closers, 1 starter, CF, and a backup inf. I would much rather have these acquistions instead
    A good starting SS/2B I feel is more important than a backup IF in my opinion. And a very good SS is more important than a closer.

I don't mean to be picking on you really, but doesn't a true leadoff hitter have to get on base? .330 obp does not cut it. We have Freel to lead off, even if it is for 130 games or so. His .363 obp is much more appealing, all though not great, it isn't anemic.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 10-04-2006 at 11:59 PM. Reason: I'm still learning how to spell

One problem with this whole thread.....

Krivsky and Narron are both on the record very strongly that their preference is to leave Phillips at 2B. On his last day of the season radio appearnce, Krivsky summed up this situation by saying, that his inclination was to "go out and get a SS".

They have both left a little wiggle room; but it is clear they prefer to leave Phillips at 2B and bring in a SS.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    I may be crazy but I think we will see Castro as our starting ss next year. I dont think its all that bad though for these reasons. 1) excellant middle infield defense, and 2) it frees up money to sign other more needful positions, i.e. closers, 1 starter, CF, and a backup inf. I would much rather have these acquistions instead:

1)Danys Baez-closer who wants out of ATL after the Wickman resigning.
    3)Ted Lilly-Lefty starter who can help man the backend of the rotation and gives us an above average rotation depending on lizard.
    4)Craig Counsell-becomes another inf option with the likely departure of Aurilia.
    --all can be aquired for @ 15 million more than 2006 payroll

So the 2007 Reds would be:
    lineup:
    1)cf pierre
    2)2b Phillips
    3)lf dunn
    4)3b EE
    5)rf Griffey
    6)c ross
    7)1b Hatteberg/Votto
    8)ss castro
    bench players-valentin(c) Freel(utl) Counsel(utl) Hatteberg/Votto(1b) Denorfia(of)

starters- Arroyo, Harang, Lilly, Milton, Lizard
    bullpen-Baez,Bray,Majewski,Coffey,Belisle,Claussen,Cormier

IMHO we will trade Larue for middle prospects and include cash to get it done, and Clayton may be resigned instead of Counsell. As far as trading Dunn I would hold out till his value is higher. I like this team better cause the defense is better, we have good starting pitching, and we have addressed the bullpen woes. and the top of the lineup is speed, followed by power, followed by contact hitters. That's a good combination. just my thoughts

yeah, I think you're crazy.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Ugh...went to my rival HS and I was never a big fan of his. I would have a tough time trying to root for him.
    Are you from Bergen County?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Are you from Bergen County?
    Born and raised.

Turn Off Ads?