Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which job is more prestigious: Reds TV broadcaster or Reds radio broadcaster?

Which job is more prestigious: Reds TV broadcaster or Reds radio broadcaster?

The hiring of Thom Brennaman to fill the Reds radio broadcast booth got me to thinking about this. I haven't read much of the Brennaman hiring threads, so forgive me if this has been brought up...

Twenty years ago, I would have considered the job of the Reds' radio broadcaster to be more prestigious. Only about 40 or so games a year were available on television, and even those were only available to those who either had cable or were within antenna reception range of a station that was a part of the Reds television network. The bottom line was that on most days or nights during the baseball season, Reds fans were listening to Marty and Joe call Reds games on the radio. Furthermore, the Reds radio network was about four times as many stations as it is today.

Today, the radio network is much, much smaller, and with more and more games being available (almost all of them in 2007) on television, are that many people really listening to the Reds on radio anymore? Who is going to be more recognizable to the newest generations of Reds fans, the radio guys or the TV guys?

It would seem to me that if Thom wanted the job with the greatest stature, recognizability, and exposure, he would've wanted the job as the Reds TV guy.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which job is more prestigious: Reds TV broadcaster or Reds radio broadcaster?

I'd say TV. I don't know any Reds fan under 30 that listens to the game on the radio unless they are in a car.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Re: Which job is more prestigious: Reds TV broadcaster or Reds radio broadcaster?

with 145 games on the tube I would say TV.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I'd wager that were dad not on the radio, Thom would be here strictly as a TV guy now.

Of course I guess you could also add that were dad not with the Reds he wouldnt have left Arizona, but the point stands that Marty being on the radio is why Thom is split between the two instead of solely TV.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Not even close...RADIO...hardly anybody watches the TV broadcasts.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I disagree.

I grew up listening to the Reds on radio. Now that 100+ games are aired on TV, I'd rather put up with George and Chris and actually get to watch the game than listen to Marty, Joe, Steve, etc and NOT get to watch the game. The only time I listen to the games on radio is when the game is not on TV.

I'd venture to guess that anyone under 35 or so wouldn't choose to listen to the game on radio over watching it on TV.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

is that you Marty?

Yeah...no seriously...the history of the Radio Broadcast and all the great calls make it far and away a bigger deal than the TV broadcast...I haven't watched a Reds game on TV in years but when I did I would turn down the TV and listen to Marty and Joe.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I'd say radio. The prestige TV jobs are national ones - ESPN, Fox Game of the Week, etc. If you're doing local team broadcasts, you're essentially a B level performer. You don't have that situation with radio, as national radio broadcasts aren't a big deal. You get to be a top dog, instead of second-tier.

I'd say about equal these days.
    Go Gators!

Yeah...no seriously...the history of the Radio Broadcast and all the great calls make it far and away a bigger deal than the TV broadcast...I haven't watched a Reds game on TV in years but when I did I would turn down the TV and listen to Marty and Joe.
    and yet if the Reds put Thom in the TV booth I am willing to bet you will listen to TV broadcast.

A little out of touch with the 2000's??? The reason why people don't listen to TV games is bc of the announcers. I despise listening to GG, but I still watch every single game that is on. I really don't know anyone who would sit around and listen to the game when a TV is right in front of them.

As far as prestige goes, I would say radio is more prestigious still. I think it will change soon enough though.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I'd venture to guess that anyone under 35 or so wouldn't choose to listen to the game on radio over watching it on TV.
    I'm 34 and would rather listen on the radio. So you would have guessed wrong.

I don't often have the time to watch an entire ballgame so I'd rather have the passive radio broadcast in the background so I can do other things than be tied to the TV.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I'd say TV. I don't know any Reds fan under 30 that listens to the game on the radio unless they are in a car.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

When I wasn't doing what I do now...or happen to have a game off, whether or not the game is on TV or not, I have the radio on...even if I ALSO have the TV on.

I don't know how much of that will change when Marty hangs it up, but if Thom is here for a while, he may be a big factor in my decision.

Turn Off Ads?