Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I miss the Reds

2. Turn Off Ads?
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Re: I miss the Reds

I miss the Reds team that "was" before the dreaded West Coast swing. After that horrible road trip, they never looked the same. The Cards made it some what interesting, but really this season was over by Labor Day.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

After the emotion of a season is over, I feel lost when it's no longer baseball season. During the season, dinner is over before 7:00 most nights so the TV or the radio can be prepared for the Reds. Hot days and baseball in the car, on the TV, in the sports pages. Discussion everywhere. When it's over, unless your team is in the playoffs (16 long years, you know), all you have is the long wait until Spring Training. Ah, Spring. Hope springs eternal. All is forgotten about the season just passed. Only hope for the next year.

If you don't live in Cincinnati, you scan the papers or ESPN for news. Luckily, we now have XM to keep us posted, but it's still a long wait. And then it arrives. And you spend from February until October engrossed in every move by your team. You get mad. You fire the manager, half the players, and lament losses and remember great moments. And then, too soon, it's over and the long wait. I dread the next four months. I tend to forget about RedsZone on purpose. It reminds me of the loss of my friend the Reds, but in February I'm getting excited. Predicting 86-95 wins and on the bandwagon.

Hurry, February. Get here soon!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Worth The Wait

WV-- Hey bud, it's actually only been 11 years! Remember 1995? We swept the Dodgers and then got swept by the Braves in the NLCS-- of course WE play Atlanta the one year they DON'T choke. Go figure. I'm still stung by losing a 1-0 lead in the 9th of game 1 that series and I can still feel the breeze from Reggie Sanders' whiffs on high fastballs

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    WV-- Hey bud, it's actually only been 11 years! Remember 1995? We swept the Dodgers and then got swept by the Braves in the NLCS-- of course WE play Atlanta the one year they DON'T choke. Go figure. I'm still stung by losing a 1-0 lead in the 9th of game 1 that series and I can still feel the breeze from Reggie Sanders' whiffs on high fastballs
    Only five runs and 28 hits in four games... Reggie with 16 official ABs and 10 Ks.

Disappointing at the time, but I'd probably give my left arm to see the REDS lose in the NLCS these days. In 1995 the REDS had the 6th highest payroll in MLB!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

This says it all, doesn't it? I love the poetry section at Baseball Almanac. Everybody ought to print this out and put it on your refrigerator!

Offseason Blues

by Steve Pellikaan ©
    Published: Baseball Almanac (2003)

It's cold outside. The wind is harsh.
    There's snow upon the ground.
    You put on your coat, your gloves, your hat,
    And go toss the football around.

It's just not the same, though. The session is brief.
    In no time, you've gone back inside.
    You turn on the TV, or get on the net,
    In search of any news they can provide.

You look at the calendar and shake your head.
    The time is surely not short.
    You count up the months, the days, the hours,
    Until pitchers and catchers report.

You dream of Spring with the grass so green,
    And the temperature on the rise,
    When the fortunate few get together again,
    To seek that ultimate prize.

The holidays come and go. Your family takes pride,
    In the dinners over which they strove.
    While the turkey is cooking, a smile hits your face.
    You're reminded of another "hot stove".

The talk of free agents and trades being made
    Gives you hope for the upcoming year.
    You dream of the slugger, the pitcher, the coach
    That this year you'll get to cheer.

So, during this winter, when you're thinking of baseball,
    And it makes you want to groan.
    Cheer up. Fans like us can take solace
    In knowing we aren't alone.

Offseason Blues by Steve Pellikaan

I miss them, but it ususally doesn't totally hit me until December. This month we still have the playoffs and November is a huge month for Ohio State football and college football in general. Come December, I'll really be yearning for Sarasota.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Someone on here has a signature that says "I can spell, but I can't type," I think it's WV Pacman. Anyway, I can't count. And it was late. And, you know.

Still a long time, n'est pas?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Someone on here has a signature that says "I can spell, but I can't type," I think it's WV Pacman. Anyway, I can't count. And it was late. And, you know.

Still a long time, n'est pas?
    Way too long. I'm still upset over the late August/September collapse. I just hope Wayne K and Bob C. are as mad as I am.
    Win the Division

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05 View Post
    I'm still upset over the late August/September collapse.
    Winning Pct. By Month - 2006
    Apr. = .680
    June = .556
    Sept = .464
    July = .440
    Aug. = .414
    May = .407

Hard to believe, but September was the third best month this season for the REDS... although it was not playoff caliber baseball.

May & August both saw the REDS at 5 games under .500 for each respective month. August can be blamed on the first 2/3 of the West Coast trip, inconsistent starting pitching and an offense that only seemed to score with the HR. May... 17 out of 28 games saw the offense score less than 5 runs/game.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

I can tell! You have ten posts on the first page!
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Turn Off Ads?