Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I were GM for the offseason...

If I were GM for the offseason...

Alright, I want to see some opinions out of some Redszoners on what you would do this offseason. Harsh critiquing is gladly accepted from anyone, and any ones opinion is up for criticism. So Lets see what you would do if you were the Reds GM this off-season, and dont be afraid of calling me an idiot for my ideas...

Heres what I would do:

First of all I would tell Adam Dunn that he has two options, Work his tail off this off season, and fully devote himself to baseball. Or we'll trade him. This kid is loaded with potential, I just dont think he is working hard enough to show this potential. Now I dont know anything about Dunn, so he could be a really hard worker, Im just saying it isnt showing.

So if he decides he'd rather get traded, I offer him to the angels for the deal they wanted to give the Orioles, Ervin Santana and Eric Aybar. I dont know if they'd accept this, but they need power in their lineup, and Dunn would be a great DH.

After this deal, I swing Arroyo to the Devil Rays for Carl Crawford. Ala ESPN the Insider, Crawford is on the block for a top of the rotation starter.

I try to deal Hatte,Larue, and a prospect to the Red-Sox for Matt Clement. However they would have to eat some of Clement's salary so this may be unlikely.

I would then give Jose Guillen a short contract worth around 4 mil a year, just long enough to keep the seat warm for Jay Bruce.

I also then go lookin for Bullpen help. I offer JC Romero and Octavio Dotel, and let the duke it out for the closer job.

That means I go into the Season with this line up.

Crawford-CF
    Phillips-2B
    Griffey-LF
    Encarnacion-3B
    Guillen-RF
    Votto-1B
    Ross-C
    Aybar-SS

And a opening day rotation of

Harang
    Santana
    Clement
    Milton
    Lohse

And a Bullpen of

Majz
    Bray
    Coffey
    Dotel
    Romero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If I were GM for the offseason...

crawford can't play CF or he would have when baldelli was hurt.

jose guillen's arm is trashed. i would target someone else.

any rotation with milton #4 is doomed from start.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I wouldn't go after Clement. I just don't trust him. I we could get him to basically dump LaRue's salary, I would flip Clement for a younger SP major-league-ready prospect with a pretty high ceiling. If it took Arroyo to get Crawford, I would probably flip him for a high-ceiling SP and high-ceiling position prospect.

Pitching, Pitching, and more pitching. Have we seen Bronso's ceiling or can he back it up in the future?? What about Harrang. All that needs to be determined. What about Bailey. Is next year the year or is it 2008??

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Dunn and Junior are two of the first people at spring training year in and year out. That at least shows me he wants to be ready for when the season starts. As the season rolls on I'm not to sure of his motives. I think Dunn would be better suited as a 1B/DH so a move to the AL may be good for him. Since he is from Texas why not send him to the Rangers for:

Hank Blalock and John Danks to the Reds for Adam Dunn, Chris Denorfia, and Eric Milton plus 3 million to compinsate for Miltons 9mil price tag.

Blalock had an off year, but I think his potential will sky rise at GABP. Danks is one of Texas's prized pitchers and may of not pitched superb in AAA still has a high ceiling. Blalock would platoon in RF as well as some 3rd on days when EE needs rest and also 1st for Hatteberg. This helps Texas because they add power to the line-up.. much needed if Lee leaves. And they are pitching hungry need someone to go with Millwood. Plus Milton will fit in better at Arlington then GABP.

I think we make a run at one of the many aces availible such as Schmidt, Zito, Mussina, Pettitte, Mulder, Matsuzaka.. and also go after Eaton, Lilly, Wolf, or even Miguel Batista..

Personally I think Mulder and Eaton would be the two I'd push for.. relativly young and coming off of injuries which would mean they may sign a little cheaper.

Add Luis Castillo to play 2B or do a trade with Atlanta to obtain Marcus Giles.

Sign Keith Folke as your closer and Jose Cruz Jr 4th OF.

Resign Schoenewies and Lohse. Move Phillips to SS.

A team like this would be sure favorites to compete in the Central if not favorites to win.

Lineup/Bench:

Freel - LF
    Castillo - 2B
    Griffey - CF
    Blalock - RF
    Encarnacion - 3B
    Hatteberg - 1B
    Phillips - SS
    Ross - C

Castro
    Cruz Jr
    Votto
    Valentin
    Olmedo

SP: Harang
    SP: Arroyo
    SP: Mulder
    SP: Eaton
    SP: Lohse

LR: Claussen
    LR: Belisle
    MR: Majewski
    MR: Bray
    MR: Schoenewies
    SU: Coffey
    CL: Folke

Its not that Crawford cant play Center, its that he's never wanted too, so I guess we would have to convince him to play center for us.

As for Guillens arm, he'll be ready in time for opening day, and plenty of people have sucessfully came back from Tommy John

As for Clement, he's a bit of a risk...But coming back to the NL will probably really help this guy, Arroyo v2.0 in my opinion

Tampa wouldnt take arroyo for crawford. The only player in our organization they would take for crawford is bailey. I would sign hunter to play center. Trade larue to the blue jays for anything, even nothing if they will just take him. Then I see if anyone maybe the nationals, mariners or padres will take milton. Once again if someone will take him, they can have him. Then I sign mulder,(not sure if he would even consider cincy but try pay him alittle and you might get him, padilla, and dotel. Start Bailey in AAA with the plan of him arriving at the beginning of june. Possibly even consider letting him start the year in the pen and then move into the rotation, much like liriano this year. Although he did have elbow trouble at the end of they year.

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerBC11 View Post
    I try to deal Hatte,Larue, and a prospect to the Red-Sox for Matt Clement. However they would have to eat some of Clement's salary so this may be unlikely.
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=5561

The Red Sox finally know what was going on in the shoulder of pitcher Matt Clement, and it wasn't good. Dr. Jim Andrews found significant damage in Clement's shoulder during exploratory surgery. Damage to both the rotator cuff and labrum was seen and repaired, likely ending Clement's 2007 before we're even done with 2006. It's another lesson in why MRIs aren't perfect as diagnostic tools, and why conservative rehab is often as risky as exploratory surgery.

Yeah, I didn't realize the Clement news never made it here. He's done, almost definitely for the length of his contract, and maybe even for good. Poor guy took a ton of crap for supposedly being fragile emotionally or whatever, turns out he was trying to pitch with a badly damaged shoulder, and it just didn't show up on the MRIs. He could have had the exploratory done months ago, but he kept rehabbing and trying to pitch.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Yeah, I didn't realize the Clement news never made it here.
    That's because the mob was too busy clubbing their own.

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerBC11 View Post
    Its not that Crawford cant play Center, its that he's never wanted too, so I guess we would have to convince him to play center for us.
    what are you basing this on? just curious.

that makes him sound like a prima donna to me if it's true.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I just googled "why doesn't Carl Crawford play Centerfield" I read it on a couple sites, this is the most specific one

http://badaltitude.baseballtoaster.c...es/424342.html

I agree thats pretty lame, if true...

I'd blow it up and start from scratch.

My first order of business would be to trade Dunn, preferrably for Ervin Santana and Erick Aybar. I'd even be willing to make the deal Dunn straight up for Santana.

My second order of business would be to shop Arroyo. I'm not sure anyone really believes that he will be able to replicate his 2006 numbers but his reasonable contract should make him very attractive to teams looking for quality starters. I'm not sure what I'd expect to get for him but I think two advanced prospects (preferably one pitcher and one position player) would be a good starting point.

Dump Griffey, LaRue and Milton for whatever you can get. I'd be fine with getting nothing in return for them if I was able to get a team to eat a substantial part of their remaining salary.

Keeping with the rebuilding theme, I wouldn't make any major acquisitions for next season. I'd rather save the money to make a run at Vernon Wells next offseason.

arroyo for crawford, they would never do that are u kidding me, it would take homer to ply crawford

Ok *sigh* this is going to take thought as I am drinking . Option one is I package Larue and I eat half his salary, I throw In Bergolla and Lizard to the San Fran for 1b Lance Niekro. I shop Votto and Freel to Detroit for (cf) Brent Cleven and (p) Jordin Tata and (rp) Wilfredo Ledezma. Adam Dunn (god I hate myself for this ) I offer to the Angel and stand firm on an offer that must include 3 players Joe Saunders(P) Chris Bootchek and Juan Rivera(OF) and Eric Aybar. I Do not even try in my wildest dreams to shop Eric Milton its not possible if it was I would take a single a never going anywhere prospect but its not possible. Now Factoring in insurance money for Paul Wilson , plus a bump of say 5 million for next year not knowing what gains or minuses exist on the present day roster. My realistic options for free agency are (P) Randy Wolf if he can pass all the tests on health, the Caveat to passing health has to be non Reds personal as there recent record is pathetic. Jim Edmonds if he will take a 2yr deal and YES I know alot of Reds fans will cringe but Jesus he can still play showboat or not! (RP) J.C. Romero.
    Last edited by Topcat; 10-06-2006 at 02:40 AM.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Turn Off Ads?