Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Scott Nethery Promoted to Sr. Director of Pro Scouting

Scott Nethery Promoted to Sr. Director of Pro Scouting

Nethery promoted

The Reds today named Scott Nethery assistant general manager and senior director of pro scouting.

Nethery spent 2006 as a special assistant to GM Wayne Krivsky for player personnel. Prior to joining the Reds on Feb. 12, Nethery worked for the Mets in 2005 and the Braves from 1991-2004, all in some sort of scouting capacity.

This move and the earlier elevation of Bob Miller to assistant GM effectively gives the Reds two people performing the duties that fell under Dean Taylor's umbrella in the previous regime. Nethery will supervise pro scouting and Miller will be the point man on contract negotiations.
    I don't know anything about him.

Is this a good move, or more shuffling?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Scott Nethery Promoted to Sr. Director of Pro Scouting

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I don't know anything about him.

Im still waiting for a Pitching coach. If Ruhle can't go Hume isn't the answer.

But to stay on topic I think it was just a promotion within

Any organization that takes one mans job and gives it to two men is moving in the right direction IMO. Howsam did this, the Reds staff prior to the BRM was small and bottom line driven to a fault at times, by expanding positions, you get two more eyes and another brain.

From the Mets website when they announced his hiring. Sounds like he's got plenty of scouting experience.

Nethery began his professional scouting career as an area scout for the Major League Scouting Bureau in 1987 before moving to the Mariners as an area supervisor in 1990. He joined the Braves in 1991 as an area-scouting supervisor. Nethery was promoted to a regional supervisor in 1993 and became a Major League and advance scout in 1995, a position he held until 2000.

Found an old USA Today article (2002) which lists him as one of two finalists to replace Schuerholz upon his retirement in Atlanta (Frank Wren was the other).
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Braves from 1991-2004
    Anyone who has that on his resume gets my vote immediately. Give me the secretary from those days too. Not that there is anything wrong with Wilma.

This seems like a case for TC.....is this a beginning to the loads of changes he has talked about probably happening in the front office?

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k View Post
    This seems like a case for TC.....is this a beginning to the loads of changes he has talked about probably happening in the front office?
    Yep... setting up the building blocks. Several other moves have been made but I have not seen them announced. Contracts are up this month too. This is the only soap opera I like to watch.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Yep... setting up the building blocks. Several other moves have been made but I have not seen them announced. Contracts are up this month too. This is the only soap opera I like to watch.
    Doesn't John Allen's contract run out?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Can you give any insights?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Doesn't John Allen's contract run out?
    I think that Castellini moving John Allen to director of Business Operations right off the bat was a move that let John work from his strength, where someone with an account background is best suited. I know folks carry a lot of disdain for Allen from when he was running the club, but I think he was out of his element. He's a good beancounter and you need a good beancounter running an enterprise. I doubt that Allen is going anywhere. I think Bob C. has made him his own.

I cant really say anything bad about Allen this year. I thought i heard that he was considered a real good businessman. Maybe im mistaking. But this past year ive seen some things that i like when it comes to the business side of the team.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Can you give any insights?
    Great question. No I can not. Although Krivsky did talk about a few of his moves during a broadcast in Fla. I have to walk the wire as my contract is also coming due. I'd rather not rock the boat this next week or so. Me likey working in Baseball.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think that Castellini moving John Allen to director of Business Operations right off the bat was a move that let John work from his strength, where someone with an account background is best suited. I know folks carry a lot of disdain for Allen from when he was running the club, but I think he was out of his element. He's a good beancounter and you need a good beancounter running an enterprise. I doubt that Allen is going anywhere. I think Bob C. has made him his own.
    Just wanted to note that I was not gleefully hoping that Allen's contract was up, but was thinking that he had been reassigned to play out his contract. The above seems to be the case as far as putting someone in the right role.

Turn Off Ads?