Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why no laptops in the dugout?

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Why no laptops in the dugout?

If you think about it, computers could be the ultimate strategy tool. What to do in any situation, and webcam record signs ....etc.
    I need the history buffs on this one (tried Googling but to no avail)... wasn't there an issue with walkie talkies being used in the 1975 or 1976 World Series? Depending on the year either the Red Sox or Yanks had someone out in CF by the scoreboard. TV cameras caught this person using a walkie talkie and I think the other walkie talkie was in their dugout. MLB got involved and banned their usage. It caused a pretty big stink at the time IIRC.

Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Players would be on Redszone too much...
    No.... people from the gamethread would be emailing the heck out of them over the lineups and batting order!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I wonder if Dunn would email Marty during home games....
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Laptops in the dugout? What's next--machines that can determine actual balls and stri...oops. Never mind.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

intuition, human relationships, recent trends, and hot streaks
    That darn Sandy Alderson, reminding us that it's human beings playing the game. Living, breathing ones at that. Hunches or educated decisions, it's ultimately human beings who make the decisions. Computers are great tools, but they're that alone. Like my concern about the vanishing strike zone (or the ever expanding strike zone), I think we don't want to lose the touch, the instinct - knowing those intangibles mentioned by Alderson above.

Computers in the dugout wouldn't help the Reds any. A computer wouldn't be able to stop them from swinging at the first pitch after the opposing pitcher walked the two batters in front of them on 8 pitches. A computer wouldn't give them the ability to hit a pitcher throwing slop and making his first appearance against them. A computer wouldn't allow the Reds pitcher to not throw the ball down the middle of the plate with the game on the line.

A taser gun, however, may work!
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Have an open IM session with Jerry Narron?

Narron: Hey, what’s that there light thingy blinkin’ down on the bottom of the screen?

Dent: That’s the direct AOL line to RedsZone, skipper.

Narron: Oh great. Tell that Edskin feller that I KNOW this game is important.

Dent: Roger that, sir.

Dent: Hey, it’s not Edskin. It’s somebody called the “gang of 10”.

Narron: Geesh, here we go again. What now, more of that fancy cipherin’ they do over there?

Dent: Looks like it, sir. Apparently they didn’t like the odds of hitting Castro for Dunn last inning.

Narron: Sweet sassy molassy, man!!! You gotta’ go with your gut in situations like this. Juan was due!!!!!

Dent: No argument here, skip. That move was money. How could you have known he’d ground into a triple play?

Narron: Exactly!!! I mean, you talk about odds, what are the odds of that? He’s been workin’ on sac flys all week in practice.

Dent: Oh, hell. Now it’s that dude Raisor. I hate it when his wife lets him on the computer. Here we go again…. A double is better than a single, a triple is better than a double…. Yadda yadda….. Man, he can go on and on …..

Narron: Yep, he’s a regular Energizer Bunny. Hey, ask him if he knows how to get the powerball results on this danged machine.

Dent: Too late, he signed off. Something about watching the Gilmore Girls and having to polish his wives toenails.

Narron: He’s a good little feller. Say, can you get Papa John’s on that contraption? I’m workin’ up a powerful big appetite with all this techno-ology.

Dent: Done deal, skip.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Simple:

Foul balls > laptops.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Narron: Hey, what’s that there light thingy blinkin’ down on the bottom of the screen?

Dent: That’s the direct AOL line to RedsZone, skipper.

Narron: Oh great. Tell that Edskin feller that I KNOW this game is important.

Dent: Roger that, sir.

Dent: Hey, it’s not Edskin. It’s somebody called the “gang of 10”.

Narron: Geesh, here we go again. What now, more of that fancy cipherin’ they do over there?

Dent: Looks like it, sir. Apparently they didn’t like the odds of hitting Castro for Dunn last inning.

Narron: Sweet sassy molassy, man!!! You gotta’ go with your gut in situations like this. Juan was due!!!!!

Dent: No argument here, skip. That move was money. How could you have known he’d ground into a triple play?

Narron: Exactly!!! I mean, you talk about odds, what are the odds of that? He’s been workin’ on sac flys all week in practice.

Dent: Oh, hell. Now it’s that dude Raisor. I hate it when his wife lets him on the computer. Here we go again…. A double is better than a single, a triple is better than a double…. Yadda yadda….. Man, he can go on and on …..

Narron: Yep, he’s a regular Energizer Bunny. Hey, ask him if he knows how to get the powerball results on this danged machine.

Dent: Too late, he signed off. Something about watching the Gilmore Girls and having to polish his wives toenails.

Narron: He’s a good little feller. Say, can you get Papa John’s on that contraption? I’m workin’ up a powerful big appetite with all this techno-ology.

Dent: Done deal, skip.
    That is classic! Who wrote it for you?

And I'd like to add....

Dent: It's this Adam from Milwaukee guy again skip.

Narron: Gawd!

Dent: I can't make it all out, but in between the incoherent mumblings about Marty he's saying Dunn can't play 1B because it's too far to walk.

Narron: Run the Spyware

I think it would also detract a bit from the game for the casual fan if we saw a manager furiously typing away at his laptop to make his decisions. It looks much better to see the manager worried in the dugout with a thoughtful look on his face.

Not only that, but I'm sure the current ML manager do not want to give their bosses the impression that their jobs could be automated and that anyone could walk into the dugout with the right software and do their job.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Haunted by walks

"Get Coffey in here. He's got a brother who knows about these things..."

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I think it would also detract a bit from the game for the casual fan if we saw a manager furiously typing away at his laptop to make his decisions. It looks much better to see the manager worried in the dugout with a thoughtful look on his face.
    Especially when he has to keep taking it away from Dunn and Jr who are downloading video games!

But I don't think it would be the manager per say working the laptop, but another coach or aide feeding him the info.

But it could also get kind of expensive seeing a laptop come flying out of the dugout evey time the datas proven wrong in a gametime situation. Unless they get the Dell extended warranty.

And could you fire/hold a manger responsible when a majority of his GT situations/decisions are being determined by a computer?

"Hey! I was just going on what the computer odds were telling. Blame Baseball Prospectus!"

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I think they would be very useful and their time will come, however, I wonder if it could lead to problems down the road.

What's to stop someone sitting in CF with binoculars from IM'ing the catcher's signs to the staff.

What if in the future, ear-pieces are planted in players, so that the manager can talk to them during an at bat and also tell them what pitch is coming?

Dangerous road we could be possibly going down.

"Get Coffey in here. He's got a brother who knows about these things..."
    Todd only calls me about computer stuff when he can't handle it himself. He's decent with the computer as it is (example: can reformat and install OS's himself). From what I've seen the player's level of computer knowledge is the same as the general public. There are some that understand them, some that can do the basics, and some that don't have a clue.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I'll volunteer to be the Reds' IT coach.

Perhaps they could instant poll RZ as to what to do at strategic times. Have an open IM session with Jerry Narron?
    Bill Veeck would be all over that. He'd probably put the chat transcript up on the scoreboard between innings, too.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?