Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why no laptops in the dugout?

Re: Why no laptops in the dugout?

They just need to have a chart of every hitter and pitcher of a team they face.The great Earl weaver was one of the first to do this,he knew everything about the opponent,there idiosyncracies etc.I don't think alot of managers take the time to analyze the opposition.I'm sure Narron could use alot more info do to some of the crazy moves he made this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeybro View Post
    Todd only calls me about computer stuff when he can't handle it himself. He's decent with the computer as it is (example: can reformat and install OS's himself). From what I've seen the player's level of computer knowledge is the same as the general public. There are some that understand them, some that can do the basics, and some that don't have a clue.
    if you asked Dunn what OPS is he'd probably tell you it's what women go through once a month.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Laptops are not very scrappy.
    Desktops are much more scrappier.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I would go with a PDA. John Allen may only authorize TRS80 with a 300 baud internal modem connected to Compuserve for budget reasons.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I can imagine how that ban on electronic devices in the dugout would be abused if it was dropped. Picture players on their wireless phones or playing the latest handheld games while sitting on the bench.

I think it would be kind of cool to see the manager talking to the bullpen via wireless phone as he strides to the mound to pull his struggling pitcher.

Picture players on their wireless phones
    Picture it?

EE and Lopez were reported to have used phones in the dugout, I know EE was talked about in a game thread and I know of a person who got a call from Lopez in the springtime.

The A's would surely have laptops in the dugout this season except for a little complication called Milton Bradley. Do you have any idea of the expense they'd incur after he got done smashing up and spilling things all over such fragile devices?
    Last edited by M2; 10-06-2006 at 01:48 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I'm sure they could get one of those ruggized mil-spec computers that US armed forces take into combat. However, chewing tobacco-proof might be teh deal-buster.

All kidding aside, I wouldn't be surprised to see a laptop used in a MLB dugout within 5 years. It will happen albeit very slowly phased in.

It will take a talented computer jock/statistician to drive the thing in order to drum up the numbers needed in the time frames that MLB real game decisions get made in. And no time for keyboard lockups or blue screens of death. So it will have to be Linux

Pay attention to the open sky

Turn Off Ads?