Scott Schoeneweis
    David Weathers

Contract options:

Rich Aurilia (mutual)
    Paul Wilson (team)

Arbitration-eligible:

Grant Balfour (waived, claimed)
    Aaron Harang
    Sun-Woo Kim (waived; cleared and outrighted to AAA)
    Kyle Lohse
    David Ross

Pre-arbitration:

Matt Belisle
    Bill Bray
    Brandon Claussen
    Todd Coffey
    Chris Denorfia
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Brendan Harris
    Norris Hopper
    Gary Majewski
    Chris Michalak (waived; cleared and outrighted to AAA)
    Ray Olmedo
    Brandon Phillips
    Elizardo Ramirez
    Brian Shackelford
    Jason Standridge
    Dewayne Wise (waived; cleared and outrighted to AAA)
    Last edited by reds44; 10-05-2006 at 11:06 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Shaping the Roster this Offseason

Sun-Woo Kim was waived; cleared and outrighted to AAA. That cleared up 3 spots on the Reds 40 man roster.

Jeez, I bet Harang gets a huge pay raise with him putting up Cy Young candidate-like numbers

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Jeez, I bet Harang gets a huge pay raise with him putting up Cy Young candidate-like numbers
    I suspect this is where the Reds discuss a long term contract with Harrang. I'd try to lock him up for 3-4 years with an option in there too.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Time for Harang to get something like
    07: 5M
    08: 7M
    09: 8M
    10: 10M (option)
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Time for Harang to get something like
    07: 5M
    08: 7M
    09: 8M
    10: 10M (option)
    Works for me.

How much money would be freed up if they let all of the FA's go?

I can live with Wayne bringing back Schoenweiss, but the other guys are pure fodder in my opinion.

I'll blow my top if they decide to pay Wilson for another year; and what should they do with Aurilia?

I wouldn't be bothered if he came back, but he's not getting any younger.

When I think back on 2006, it's like a blur. A mashup of players that don't seem to fit, and I fear that their replacements might be of the same ilk.

Wayne's got a lot of work to do, and thankfully he might have enough cash to make sense of it all.

This current team makes me feel stupid.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    How much money would be freed up if they let all of the FA's go?

I can live with Wayne bringing back Schoenweiss, but the other guys are pure fodder in my opinion.

I'll blow my top if they decide to pay Wilson for another year; and what should they do with Aurilia?

I wouldn't be bothered if he came back, but he's not getting any younger.

When I think back on 2006, it's like a blur. A mashup of players that don't seem to fit, and I fear that their replacements might be of the same ilk.

Wayne's got a lot of work to do, and thankfully he might have enough cash to make sense of it all.

This current team makes me feel stupid.

Well said.

Like a Frankenstein composed of Jimbo's pants, DanO's tight vest, and Wayne's oxygen-depriving tie.

We have some awfully key contracts set to expire after 2007 and 2008. Will be interesting to see who's in Red in 2009. But then again, that's interesting every year. :-)
    "It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come out, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone.
    -A. Barlett Giamatti

I wonder if it's worth a shot at getting Batista and running him back out as a closer? The only starting pitchers the Reds that the Reds can afford are guys like Lilly or Padilla. Maybe Mulder takes a 1-yr discount w/incentives? How bad is his shoulder?

Zito's not coming here, and for the $15-$18M/year Boras will ask, he can go elsewhere.

As for hitters; Trot Nixon will probably be in the bargain bin. Hasn't been healthy for 3 yrs. Clobbers RHP and can play a decent RF. Would be a good platoon guy. Gary Matthews Jr. is a FA, I think. He can go get it in CF, but his OBA is more BA driven. Switch hitter. Probably a better, cheaper option than Torii Hunter. I think other teams will be on him, though.

Mark Mulder should not be an option for any team. I saw him pitch in Memphis on his rehab, and he would have been lucky to break a pane of glass. Something really wrong with him.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Mark Mulder should not be an option for any team. I saw him pitch in Memphis on his rehab, and he would have been lucky to break a pane of glass. Something really wrong with him.
    Okay. I wasn't sure how severe it was. Sometimes teams like the Reds have to shop in the discount aisle, but there has to be some upside.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    and to think that just a couple of years ago how good it would have looked to have a rotation of
    Kerry Wood
    Mark Mulder
    Brad Radke
    Matt Clement
    Wade Miller

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Kim, Michalak, and Wise are now Free Agents

per Marc's blog..

Free-Agents:

1B/OF Andy Abad
    RHP Sun-Woo Kim
    RHP Joe Mays
    LHP Chris Michalak
    C Dane Sardinha
    OF Dewayne Wise
    Last edited by RedLegSuperStar; 10-10-2006 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I wonder if it's worth a shot at getting Batista and running him back out as a closer? The only starting pitchers the Reds that the Reds can afford are guys like Lilly or Padilla. Maybe Mulder takes a 1-yr discount w/incentives? How bad is his shoulder?

Zito's not coming here, and for the $15-$18M/year Boras will ask, he can go elsewhere.

As for hitters; Trot Nixon will probably be in the bargain bin. Hasn't been healthy for 3 yrs. Clobbers RHP and can play a decent RF. Would be a good platoon guy. Gary Matthews Jr. is a FA, I think. He can go get it in CF, but his OBA is more BA driven. Switch hitter. Probably a better, cheaper option than Torii Hunter. I think other teams will be on him, though.

Man, would I ever be satisfied if Wayne went out and got Batista to close, along with Lilly and Padilla to fill up the 3 and 4 slots in the rotation.

That would be a tall order, but I think that dog might hunt, and to think that Bailey will make an appearance sometime in 07.....That's best Reds staff in years right there.

Still doesn't address the fact that they need a bat, an outfielder that can cover ground, and someone to play next to Phillips (be it at SS or 2B).

I say deal Ross away for a young burner in the OF, and take your chances that Edwin will stay healthy, 'cause that guy's gonna blossom into a 30 homer bat toots sweet.

There are some low profile options out there that can net them five or six more wins over a season.

Wayne needs to get after them, but avoid making some of the rash, hope for a quick fix type deals that torpedoed what would have been an excellent first season at the helm.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?