Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Car color and your personality...

Car color and your personality...

For the record, we have 2 black vehicles in my driveway and my "fun" vehicle is green. I'm nuts.

Do people with red cars really get more speeding tickets than those with blue cars? Do car insurance companies use the color of your car to determine your rates? Do certain colors increase your chance of an accident? What does the color of your car SAY about your personality?

How Fast IS That Red Car?
    According to the Web site Colormatters.com there may be some truth the urban legends surrounding car color and speeding tickets … at least anecdotally.

Visitors to that site say that when they drive red cars they seem to get more speeding tickets. Although there seems to be no official statistics kept for such things, and the police aren’t talking about it, the stories reinforce the urban legend that many have heard.

In general, driving the speed limit is usually a good idea no matter what color car you drive. If you keep your red car at or near the limit, the chances you will get a ticket are much smaller. In fact, they are probably exactly the same as the guy next to you driving the speed limit in his purple car.

Color and Personality
    In Great Britain there was actually some research done that suggested that the colour (they really like that spelling for some reason) of your car says something about your personality type. And accordingly, based on your personality type, your likeliness to be involved in an accident (in the U.K. at least). That research showed that black cars are twice as likely to be involved in crashes as cream-color cars. Whether this is true in the United States is unclear.

Here is what it said about certain car colors (listed in order of most dangerous to least)*

Match? No Match?

Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.
    Silver cars indicate someone who's cool, calm and slightly aloof.
    Green cars can often be chosen by people with hysterical tendencies.
    Yellow cars signify someone who is idealistic and novelty loving.
    Blue cars are chosen by the more introspective, reflective and cautious driver.
    Gray cars represent those who are calm, sober and dedicated to their work.
    Red cars denote those who are full of zest, energy and drive and who think, move and talk quickly.
    Pink cars are chosen by gentle, loving and affectionate drivers.
    White cars represent status-seeking extrovert drivers.
    Cream cars are the least likely to be involved in accidents and denote self-contained and controlled owners.

The Color of Money
    What about the car insurance rates question? Does your car insurance company use color to determine your premium? The answer is … no.

Some people have suggested that insurers use the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to determine the car color and use that information, in part, to set the rate for each car. But the fact is that car color is not one of the details encoded into a VIN number. So technically, unless they ASK you the color of your car when you buy your car insurance policy, they really have no idea what color it is. And thus has no affect on your rate.

Additionally, according to an article in the Chicago Sun-Times in 2005, despite the mistaken belief by 25 percent of drivers that color affects your car insurance rates, it really has no effect on your insurance at all. Factors like year, make, model, body type (of the car, not YOU) and engine size are taken into consideration along with the driver’s personal information.

So, if you want that little red sports car, go right ahead and get it. Does it mean you are full of zest, energy and drive and think, move and talk quickly? Only you can answer that.

The fact is, if you keep the speed of that little red number somewhere around the posted limit, stop at red lights, yield to oncoming traffic, and make your cell phone calls when you are stopped, you will probably do a lot more for your car insurance rates than any color ever could.

For more on car insurance savings see our 10+ Tips to Help You Save on Car Insurance article

*Quoted from the “Fun at Work” blog by Robin Thompson who quoted from an article in the June 20th 2005 edition of the Register-Herald in Beckley, West Virginia.
    http://money.aol.com/insurancecom/in...30134109990001
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Car color and your personality...

I thought Pink denoted "Mary Kay Sales Rep."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Hmmmm, what if you've owned different cars in different colors... do you have multiple personalities?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Silver is what I have and it describes me exactly.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I have a metallic blue finish and except for the cautious driver bit it seems about right. I'm not wild on the roads but I'm certinally not cautious or timid.

Then again I've had red, silver and white cars also and those discriptions are not accurate.

Silver cars indicate someone who's cool, calm and slightly aloof.
    My first car was silver and my current truck is silver. That is pretty much spot on. My other car was gold but no description of that.

Sooooo, what does Jim Edmonds's car say about his personality?

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

For the first time in my life, my wife and I own four vehicles. I have a 2003 Audi A4 Quattro that I bought primarily for business work; it's gray, so the reference to being "calm, sober and dedicated to work" is appropriate for that vehicle. The color didn't enter into its purchase though.
    We also have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4X4-it is black, but we bought it used because it was a good deal, not because I'm particularly aggressive or a rebel. My soon to be 16 year old son will be driving it-maybe the color fits him better than me.
    My wife drives a light blue 2005 Chrysler Pacifica-again, the color didn't go into the purchase. Her favorite color is red, she has had several red cars, and she is full of "zest" and "energy"-red is her color. We ended up with a light blue Pacifica because that is the car she wanted, and the blue one was the best available deal. It is our only cuurent car that we bought new.
    Finally, I have a 1992 Corvette. It is blue aqua, a color I do like. Blue is definitely my favorite color, baseball aside, and I am often introspective and reflective.
    However, while I have owned several other blue cars in the past, I've also owned several silver cars.
    I also used to have a 1977 red Corvette that did seem to attract the attention of the local police.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

My sonata is silver, but my ghia is polar blue. what's that mean?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I have a charcoal gray Maxima - and I wouldn't really describe myself as calm, or sober or although I am pretty dedicated to my job.

My wife however, has a green Honda and she's pretty hysterical.

Turn Off Ads?