Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Homer Bailey and Joey Votto Named to Southern League Top 20 Prospects by BA

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Homer Bailey and Joey Votto Named to Southern League Top 20 Prospects by BA

Homer Bailey came it at #1 and Joey Votto came it at #7.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...es/262562.html

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Homer Bailey and Joey Votto Named to Southern League Top 20 Prospects by BA

Here again is my short version of the scouting report

Bailey - Pitched better after promotion. On cruise control living off of fastball that can touch 97. Excellent fastball command, with a plus 12 to 6 curveball. In love with his fastball and rarely uses secondary stuff. Changeup could be excellent, but needs more use.

Votto - Old regime really messed with him as his approach. Good plate discipline. Change of batting stance had a huge impact. Average 1st baseman with good range. Above average base runner.

Also, If anyone has any Homer Bailey/Joey Votto/Chatty questions they want me to ask in the BA Chat with Chris Kline about the Southern League, it starts in about an hour (2 pm EST) and I'll be around this afternoon.

I'm planning on asking a few. Sometimes my questions get answered, sometimes not.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If you can, ask them if it seemed the longer Bailey was in AA, the more he was using his secondary stuff.

I recall his first few outtings he was relying on that fastball often, but it seemed, at least through the radio broadcasts, he used his secondary stuff more often as the season went on.

I'd ask about Pelland, Medlock, Shafer, Guevara and Coutlangus -- who's got the best chance of someday helping the big club?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'd ask about Pelland, Medlock, Shafer, Guevara and Coutlangus -- who's got the best chance of someday helping the big club?
    My answer would be Coutlangus or Medlock. Their answer is probably Pelland. But that's a good question to throw out there.

Here are my questions so far

Homer Bailey from La Grange Texas - Did you find it true that the longer I stayed in Chattanooga, the more apt I was to use my secondary pitches? Or was it all gas all the time?

Josh from Phoenix - Which one of these Chattanooga hurlers has the best chance of helping out the Reds someday soon - Pelland, Medlock, Shafer, Guevara or Coutlangus?

Josh from Phoenix - Joey Votto - Lyle Overbay or Doug Mientkiewicz?

Someone asked a Votto question already

Q: JAYPERS from IL asks:
    Votto unquestionably had a breakout year in 2006. Does Cincy have an opening at 1B for him, or does he need more time to prove this year wasn't a fluke?

A: Chris Kline: No doubt. Votto doesn't have much development left to do, but could benefit with some Triple-A time--maybe similar to what happened with Edwin Encarnacion in 2005. Put him down there for half a season and see what happens. Votto proved he could make adjustments, and he's a grind-it-out gamer with excellent makeup and work ethic. It's funny what happens when you're not constantly in an 0-1 hole.

Another I asked

Carlos Guevara - Uvalde,Texas - Can I ride my screwball all the way to the majors? Or am I just a one trick pony who's going to level out next year at AAA.

As you may or may not tell, I have some free time today

Another submitted question

Javon Moran - Valdosta,Georgia - Any chance I develop, as Torii Hunter would call them, man muscles and hit for some occasional power? Do I have any future as a 4th OF for the big league club?

Q: Adam from NYC asks:
    How close was it between Homer Bailey and Yovanni Gallardo at the #1 spot? Their stats are so similar ro each other, and Gallardo even had a lower AVG over 10 more innings. Who do you see reaching the Majors first? Which do you see becoming more of a future ace?

A: Chris Kline: It was close, but Bailey's fastball has more velocity and better command. Add to that at least one secondary pitch that grades out as above-average--even though he didn't use it much--and that's the difference. But they are similar in terms of body, though Gallardo is a little thicker and in terms of delivery. To answer your two questions, I'll go Bailey and Bailey.

Looks like one of mine got answered so far

Q: Josh from Phoenix asks:
    Joey Votto - Lyle Overbay or Doug Mientkiewicz?

A: Chris Kline: Well, he does wear No. 5, so I'm guessing he would say Pujols. And he has a similar stance and approach at the plate as his idol . . . but I think he's more the solid everyday guy that will hit for high average and some pop. He's also interesting to me in that he's a really big guy but has good speed for his size. Not saying he's the next Pujols--I'm crazy, but not THAT crazy.

Chat's over, that's all he answered. We'll have to save some of these for the Reds chat after the new year.

Turn Off Ads?