Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Parker or Taylor

Parker or Taylor

Here's a dilemma I end up facing every year: do I start a top RB with a bad matchup (Parker vs. San Diego's awesome rush defense) or do I go with a second-tier RB with an excellent matchup (Fred Taylor vs. the sieve-like Jets rushing D)?

There are lots of factors to consider. Pitt is coming off a bye-week, so the offense should be more focused, Parker will be fresh, and he gets pretty much all the carries. Taylor usually torches the Jets D, who are truly bad vs. the run. However, he may lose carries to Jones-Drew.

I usually just go with my top guys and avoid trying to play matchups, but this one seems like a very tough call.

Any thoughts?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Parker or Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Here's a dilemma I end up facing every year: do I start a top RB with a bad matchup (Parker vs. San Diego's awesome rush defense) or do I go with a second-tier RB with an excellent matchup (Fred Taylor vs. the sieve-like Jets rushing D)?

There are lots of factors to consider. Pitt is coming off a bye-week, so the offense should be more focused, Parker will be fresh, and he gets pretty much all the carries. Taylor usually torches the Jets D, who are truly bad vs. the run. However, he may lose carries to Jones-Drew.

I usually just go with my top guys and avoid trying to play matchups, but this one seems like a very tough call.

Any thoughts?
    I just now read a "Mailbag" about this exact question. CBS Sportsline suggests that you sit Parker against the #2 rush D (SD) and start Taylor against the horrible Jets run D. Fricken Addai and Rhodes had 150+ yards against them.

As much as I agree mostly with starting your studs no matter the matchup, this is one I would switch around.

I am actually going to start Taylor over Brian Westbrook this week even if Westbrook actually plays. Did I just say that?

If your looking for someone to have a big day, then I would go with Taylor.
    The Jets give up an average of 1 yard more per rush than the Chargers.
    Parker always has a chance to break off a long run, but he might not get a whole lot of carries against a team like the Chargers who can stop the run.

Thanks, guys.

BTW - My other back is Edgerinn James, and I just can't bring myself to bench him.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'm hoping the awesome run D of San Diego shuts down the Steelers running game, forcing Big Ben to beat them by throwing the ball...which should lead to another Steeler loss.

I hope you picked Taylor, because he did pretty good today.

Taylor: 21 carries for 111 yards and 1 TD.
    1 catch for 32 yards

Yep, although Parker has already outperformed Edge. Luckily, I'm going to win by a large margin this week -- Eagles D came through for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Eagles D came through for me.
    There's an understatment. 7 sacks, 5 INTs, and a 102 yard TD return.

I should have stuck with Taylor playing over Westbrook. I put Westbrook back in the lineup after hearng he would play. Taylor out scored him by like 8, but I still had an easy W.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I'm hoping the awesome run D of San Diego shuts down the Steelers running game, forcing Big Ben to beat them by throwing the ball...which should lead to another Steeler loss.

Turn Off Ads?