So often I sit and shake my head when I read the latest crazy trade proposal that gets tossed around here on the board. Today I gather up my courage and with fear and trembling try my hand at it. I'm not sure why I'm willingly subjecting myself to the same grief that so many before me have received, but here's a try......
(stepping back to take a last look before the carnage ensues....)
Here's my thinking.....
1. We need a shortstop - even though A Rod has played 3rd the last couple of years, he is first and foremost a SS. And it seems there is a growing sentiment for the Yanks to move him out of town.
2. Wang is a good ground ball type pitcher and we can use all of those we can get.
3. Cabrera gives us a young (22) replacement LF for Dunn.
4. Coffey and Belisle offer the Bombers a couple of attractive live arms that can either both work out of the bullpen or Belisle could also start. The Reds could also possibly interchange Dumatrait, Majewski, or Elizardo to come up with 2 names the Yankees would like.
5. We obviously are going to move LaRue. Yanks have 2 35 year old catchers (Posada & Fasano). At a minimum, LaRue offers a significant upgrade over Fasano as a back-up.
6. You have to give something to get something - Dunn is the most attractive trade offering we have. In NY, he could DH or play LF or 1B (on days Matsui or Giambi don't start). He's a young player with possibly more untapped potential.
7. Dollars - Milton sends a starting pitcher back to the Yankees and helps to balance out some of the dollar difference due to A Rod's big contract. He pitched some nice games this summer and didn't look the total dog he was last year. Perhaps his bigger drawback presently is his injury status. Since he will be in the final year of his contract, the Yanks aren't on the hook for a long term contract if he tanks in returning to the AL.
OK - share your thoughts. I'm open to constructive criticism, but keep any uncontrollable laughing to yourself. I'm sensitive you know.