Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My attempt at a trade proposal

My attempt at a trade proposal

So often I sit and shake my head when I read the latest crazy trade proposal that gets tossed around here on the board. Today I gather up my courage and with fear and trembling try my hand at it. I'm not sure why I'm willingly subjecting myself to the same grief that so many before me have received, but here's a try......

Reds get:
    Chien-Ming Wang
    Alex Rodriguez
    Melky Cabrera

Yankees get:
    Todd Coffey
    Adam Dunn
    Jason LaRue
    Matt Belisle
    Eric Milton

(stepping back to take a last look before the carnage ensues....)
    Here's my thinking.....
    1. We need a shortstop - even though A Rod has played 3rd the last couple of years, he is first and foremost a SS. And it seems there is a growing sentiment for the Yanks to move him out of town.
    2. Wang is a good ground ball type pitcher and we can use all of those we can get.
    3. Cabrera gives us a young (22) replacement LF for Dunn.
    4. Coffey and Belisle offer the Bombers a couple of attractive live arms that can either both work out of the bullpen or Belisle could also start. The Reds could also possibly interchange Dumatrait, Majewski, or Elizardo to come up with 2 names the Yankees would like.
    5. We obviously are going to move LaRue. Yanks have 2 35 year old catchers (Posada & Fasano). At a minimum, LaRue offers a significant upgrade over Fasano as a back-up.
    6. You have to give something to get something - Dunn is the most attractive trade offering we have. In NY, he could DH or play LF or 1B (on days Matsui or Giambi don't start). He's a young player with possibly more untapped potential.
    7. Dollars - Milton sends a starting pitcher back to the Yankees and helps to balance out some of the dollar difference due to A Rod's big contract. He pitched some nice games this summer and didn't look the total dog he was last year. Perhaps his bigger drawback presently is his injury status. Since he will be in the final year of his contract, the Yanks aren't on the hook for a long term contract if he tanks in returning to the AL.

OK - share your thoughts. I'm open to constructive criticism, but keep any uncontrollable laughing to yourself. I'm sensitive you know.
    Better to be silent and thought a fool, than speak and be proven one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My attempt at a trade proposal

I think you would need the Reds to include Encarnacion to have the Yankees interested in this. If you don't they have a hole at third. I doubt they move Wang unless they get a good starter in the package he has been too reliable and successfull for them.

Yanks probably dont do that deal,not receiving enough back from the Reds.
    Last edited by fewfirstchoice; 10-06-2006 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I think you would need the Reds to include Encarnacion to have the Yankees interested in this. If you don't they have a hole at third. I doubt they move Wang unless they get a good starter in the package he has been too reliable and successfull for them.
    Or Griffey. But I think Wang is pretty untouchable right now.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TStuck View Post
    6. You have to give something to get something - Dunn is the most attractive trade offering we have. In NY, he could DH or play LF or 1B
    You do have to give something to get something, but they'd be giving a LOT more just to get Dunn. If Wayne pulled off that deal, I would turn to face Cincy 5 times a day and worship.

You could take Melky out and I'd still make that trade in a heartbeat. There's no way the Yankees are trading Wang (unless they're getting can't miss world-beaters in return) though.

Great feedback so far.... Thanks.
    My first version left Cabrera out, but I included him later to fill our left field hole and to not make the number of players involved quite so lopsided.

Wang is definitely a plus for the Yankee right now - it would definitely be a tough negotiation to get him.

Yeah - the 3rd base hole for the Yankees would be an issue. I was reluctant to throw EdE in the mix though. Just couldn't bring myself to part with him.
    Could possibly throw another of the pitchers I mentioned in to try to sweeten the pot a bit.

Here's another thought ( o man this is gonna start a debate..)
    Do you consider Wang an upgrade over Arroyo? Do you switch out Milton for Arroyo?

This would make it
    Reds get:
    A Rod
    Wang
    Melky

Yanks get:
    Dunner
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Coffey
    LaRue
    Last edited by TStuck; 10-06-2006 at 02:48 PM. Reason: complete thought - add detail

Quote Originally Posted by TStuck View Post
    Here's another thought ( o man this is gonna start a debate..)
    Do you consider Wang an upgrade over Arroyo? Do you switch out Milton for Arroyo?

This would make it
    Reds get:
    A Rod
    Wang
    Melky

Yanks get:
    Dunner
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Coffey
    LaRue
    The Yanks are not going to trade Wang unless they get absolutely blown away by an offer. Moose, Lidle, and i think another starter are FAs and Johnson has stunk this year and not getting any younger. They are going to keep Wang. Any trade with Wang wont fly.
    Last edited by Slyder; 10-06-2006 at 06:51 PM.

I think that we would be dumb to get A-Rod. He simply makes to much money. Griffey and Milton are way over paid but A-Rod would kill the rest of the team. Here is my trade proposal:

Houston gets
    Adam Dunn-OF
    Elizardo Rameriz-p

Cincinnati gets
    Brad Lidge-CP
    Chad Qualls-RP

Also make a deal with Colorado

Colorado gets
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Tyler Pelland
    Matt Belisle

Cincinnati gets
    Jeff Francis-SP
    Matt Holliday-LF

So in the end we get younger and deeper in the rotation and the bullpen. Also we replace Dunn with a true LF that can hit and for power, and play defense. This could realisticly happen.

I think that we would be dumb to get A-Rod. He simply makes to much money. Griffey and Milton are way over paid but A-Rod would kill the rest of the team. Here is my trade proposal:

Houston gets
    Adam Dunn-OF
    Elizardo Rameriz-p

Cincinnati gets
    Brad Lidge-CP
    Chad Qualls-RP

Also make a deal with Colorado

Colorado gets
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Tyler Pelland
    Matt Belisle

Cincinnati gets
    Jeff Francis-SP
    Matt Holliday-LF

So in the end we get younger and deeper in the rotation and the bullpen. Also we replace Dunn with a true LF that can hit and for power, and play defense. This could realisticly happen.
    Why would Griffey and throw-ins net us a very good SP and a great OF? Especially when Dunn and a very good SP prospect only nets us a average to good RP and closer whose value has dropped dramatically and whose ability is in question?

Quote Originally Posted by jamess697 View Post
    I think that we would be dumb to get A-Rod. He simply makes to much money. Griffey and Milton are way over paid but A-Rod would kill the rest of the team.
    I believe Texas is picking up a portion of his salary and NY could pick up some as well. However, I feel this trade is ridiculous as NY is giving up one of the top 5 pitchers in the AL this year, a future hall of famer (although much maligned), and a rising star in Cabrera for Dunn (who Reds fans don't want) and other players we could live with out.

A realistic deal for those 3 would be to send Dunn, Homer, and Edwin, and even then NY probably wouldn't do it. Think about it: Dunn for ARod is probably a wash, Wang is doing what we hope Homer will be doing in two years, and Cabrera could be a similar player to EE next year.
    Last edited by joshnky; 10-06-2006 at 11:03 PM.

Well hell why were at it heres my 2 offseason trade proposals.

1) Reds trade:
    Adam Dunn
    Chris Denorfia
    Matt Belisle

Rockies trade:
    Brad Hawpe(OF)
    Clint Barmes(ss)
    Aaron Cook(sp)

2)Reds trade:
    Adam Dunn
    Todd Coffey

Houston trades:
    Brad Lidge(cl)
    Luke Scott(of)

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    and a rising star at 3B for Dunn (who Reds fans don't want) and other players we could live with out.
    Then I'm the only want that ones Dunn . Hopefully He'll change some minds next season

Why does everyone want to trade Dunn plus for Lidge plus? Lidge BLEW this year. Lidge also makes a ton of money, his value is at an all time low if you want to try and get him Id find someone who "needs a change of scenary" and then you can work a 3 team deal maybe with Washington and the core of that trade be (for example):

Houston acquires:
    Ryan Wagner
    plus a guy with a "bad contract"

Washington acquires:
    Eric Milton

We acquire:
    Brad Lidge

Headcases with lots of cash all around. Of course minut things would have to be taken care of.
    I doubt that happens but trading Dunn for Lidge is pointless right now cause Lidge has to show he is back.

Remember Mark Wohlers? Thats the type of situation we are probably looking at with Lidge.

Turn Off Ads?