Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the uniform junkies.........

For the uniform junkies.........

In one of the other uniform threads, we talked about teams that don't wear names on the backs of their jerseys. While some like the concept and others don't, I think the key to making it work is looking at the way the Yankees do it.

I had mentioned in an earlier thread that I thought the Dodgers jerseys looked like they were missing something, without the names being on the back of the jersey, and if you look closely, they are missing something-----the name.

The Yankees position the numbers higher up the jersey as opposed to the Dodgers. The Dodgers position the numbers in the middle of the back, as if a name is going to be added above it. If the Dodgers would move the numbers up the back of the jersey, they would look just fine. The Yankees have got it right, as do the Red Sox, but I guess they've been doing it that way for a long time.

Take a look at the positioning of the numbers of both teams, today, if you are interested.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: For the uniform junkies.........

Randy, who do you pay attention to the uniforms anyway? Just watch the games and forget about what they're wearing.

Seriously, though, you're exactly right, and it has puzzled me why the Dodgers apparently just removed the name and left the number sizing and placement untouched. Can they not see how awkward it looks?

Speaking of the Yankees and uniforms, they really do need to remove those navy and white stripes from the edges of the sleeves on their road jerseys. They could even take it a step further and remove the white outline from the lettering and numbers on their road jerseys, as well, and it wouldn't bother me. The white outline definitely makes the lettering and numbers jump out, but they would look a lot more traditional with just navy lettering only, like the Red Sox had on their road jerseys in the 80s.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I'm with you on the sleeve trim, but I kinda like the white outline on the lettering. Either way, pretty classic if they just remove the sleeve trim.

One thing that I have noticed about the Yankee uniform, over the years, is that the interlocking "NY" on the caps has went from large to small to large. A few years back, it was not nearly as prominent as it is now.

John Wooden

Another random observation....

The Reds' Sunday home jerseys of 05-06 are different from 03-04.

Liked the '03-'04 model much more.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Liked the '03-'04 model much more.
    So did I. The newer version looked too much like the batting practice uniforms.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Absolutey. I liked the wishbone "C" without the Reds in the middle. It harkened back to the beginnings of the "vest era" and was something a little different. The white and black piping looked pretty good. I liked it so much that I even bought one, and I am not a big fan of the "colored" jerseys.

Will be interesting what they do with the BP jerseys and caps in the new set.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Absolutey. I liked the wishbone "C" without the Reds in the middle. It harkened back to the beginnings of the "vest era" and was something a little different.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Does anyone remember the Reds' uniforms of the mid-sixties with the name under the number? I'm not sure how long they had it that way, but it looked a bit odd.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

No, I don't remember much of anything from the 60's... or was that the early 70's??? The name under the numbers, I'll have to look that one up.

Remember it well. The name was in "black" block lettering under the red numbers that were outlined in navy blue. Think they began putting the names on the backs of those jerseys in '63 or '64 and wore them through the 1966 season.

John Wooden

This is as close as I can get to showing it. You can see the "R" below the number.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Here's another. A couple of things about this picture. Look at the way the vest is cut, much bigger holes for the arms. And look at the stirrups. Sure wish that look would come back. I hate the pajama bottom look of todays pants. And the solid color knee high sock doesn't do it for me either.
    ~ Mark Twain

yea I liked the stirrups too. Love that Frank Robinson picture

Does anyone else detect an old cincy.com connection here?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?