Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: I have to laugh at......

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    I have to laugh at......

    I was listening to the Two Angry Guys, Lance McAllister, Jim Rome, etc........after the Yankees won the first game of that series. They were all pretty much talking about how the Yankees play the game right and how Detroit was the "JV". I was laughing then and I'm laughing now. Everyone of them was talking arrogantly too like it was a done deal that the Yankees would sweep Detroit, as if Detroit was pathetic because they stumbled down the finish line.......and New York was the almighty because they nearly everyone on their roster had been an All-Star at one time.

    One game does not make a series and I tried and tried to call in earlier in the week when the arrogant comments were being made, but to no avail.

    I am laughing hysterically at all of them now. There is nothing better than to see the $250 billion dollar Yankees falter year after year. They are everything that is wrong with MLB. No wonder the NFL, with it's salary cap and growing parity are heads above MLB.

    Maybe if other teams could compete financially, MLB would be more interesting for fans of all teams that could honestly hope their team could win it all.

    Is Pujols and all those young Detroit phenoms and the Twins and White Sox best players destined to be signed by the money tree known as the Yankees?

    I think what amazes me even more is that Steinbrenner spends far more than everyone else BUT STILL CAN'T PUT A ROSTER TOGETHER THAT CAN WIN IT ALL. It should be a gimme but even he can't do it.

    That is hilarious.
    Who's on first?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Raaaaaaaandy guttle11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: I have to laugh at......

    You know, I've never thought of it like that...
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

  4. #3
    How u doin
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    272

    Re: I have to laugh at......


  5. #4
    Member dman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Grove City, Ohio
    Posts
    1,385

    Re: I have to laugh at......

    I'm just thankful we don't have a New York "Subway Series" this year for them to talk about.
    I really like the point of your post though, great point of view.

  6. #5
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,438

    Re: I have to laugh at......

    A personal theory I have on why the Yankees can't win is because most salaries are based on what the players have already accomplished, and that can cause players to subconsiously think, "Why should I give it my all? I received my high salary because of the 50 homeruns I hit last season--not the 50 I'm supposed to hit this season."

    If you'll notice, generally, the players putting out the most effort are the younger ones trying to earn a big contract--not the ones who are already getting paid tens of millions.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Monfort Heights
    Posts
    621

    Re: I have to laugh at......

    The Yankees lose because their expensive pitching is old. Their offense didn't play well either but good pitching beats good hitting in the playoffs. Mussina and Johnson are slightly above average pitchers making $36 mil. Most teams that win have pitchers in the prime of their careers, not upper 30s, early 40s type pitchers.

    Cashman is to blame, assuming he made the calls on their free agent starting pitching. If these are Steinbrenner's calls then its his fault. None of this is Torre's fault.

  8. #7
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,843

    Re: I have to laugh at......

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    A personal theory I have on why the Yankees can't win is because most salaries are based on what the players have already accomplished, and that can cause players to subconsiously think, "Why should I give it my all? I received my high salary because of the 50 homeruns I hit last season--not the 50 I'm supposed to hit this season."

    If you'll notice, generally, the players putting out the most effort are the younger ones trying to earn a big contract--not the ones who are already getting paid tens of millions.
    This is a generalization and is not always true by any means. But there is some truth to this.

  9. #8
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,843

    Re: I have to laugh at......

    Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    The Yankees lose because their expensive pitching is old. Their offense didn't play well either but good pitching beats good hitting in the playoffs. Mussina and Johnson are slightly above average pitchers making $36 mil. Most teams that win have pitchers in the prime of their careers, not upper 30s, early 40s type pitchers.

    Cashman is to blame, assuming he made the calls on their free agent starting pitching. If these are Steinbrenner's calls then its his fault. None of this is Torre's fault.
    This actually is much more true.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: I have to laugh at......

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This actually is much more true.
    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    A personal theory I have on why the Yankees can't win is because most salaries are based on what the players have already accomplished, and that can cause players to subconsiously think, "Why should I give it my all? I received my high salary because of the 50 homeruns I hit last season--not the 50 I'm supposed to hit this season."

    If you'll notice, generally, the players putting out the most effort are the younger ones trying to earn a big contract--not the ones who are already getting paid tens of millions.
    Kenny Rogers= 41
    Tom Glavine= 40

    Dodgers had Greg Maddux who was one of the reasons they were even in it.

    You can't tell me that Kenny Rogers wasnt out there giving it his all. Its about the person not their contract status.

  11. #10
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,843

    Re: I have to laugh at......

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Kenny Rogers= 41
    Tom Glavine= 40

    Dodgers had Greg Maddux who was one of the reasons they were even in it.

    You can't tell me that Kenny Rogers wasnt out there giving it his all. Its about the person not their contract status.
    If your point is that there are some good older pitchers, I agree. But Maddux was the #3 or #4 in LA, Glavine somewhere in the middle in NY and same for Rogers in Detroit. Johnson and Mussina were counted upon to be #'s 1 & 2 in NY from the outset. If Wang would not have developed beyond expectations, they may have missed the play-offs completely. (Probably not, Boston had too many injuries and Toronto disappointed.)

  12. #11
    Member kbrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: I have to laugh at......

    MLB does not need a salary cap. The NFL does so much better because it has a product that is much more exciting. I find the NFL to be much more predictable than MLB anyways. As for the Yankees they lose because they dont ever have pitching that is all that great. That and they always seem to get guys too late and while they are on the decline.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: I have to laugh at......

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If your point is that there are some good older pitchers, I agree. But Maddux was the #3 or #4 in LA, Glavine somewhere in the middle in NY and same for Rogers in Detroit. Johnson and Mussina were counted upon to be #'s 1 & 2 in NY from the outset. If Wang would not have developed beyond expectations, they may have missed the play-offs completely. (Probably not, Boston had too many injuries and Toronto disappointed.)
    My point is it depends on the player not their contract status. If you have a hard worker its not going to matter if they are in a contract year or set for the rest of their GREAT GRANDKIDS lives they are going to go out there and perform. My other point was with Harang and Arroyo we wouldnt neccessarily require someone to come in and be #1, but I'd rather pay an extra few mil for a guy with a history of being very good (like Rogers this past offseason) rather than throwing less (but still significant amount) at a crap shoot like Vincente Padilla. We saw what B-C level shopping gets you in pitchers (Eric Milton).

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Monfort Heights
    Posts
    621

    Re: I have to laugh at......

    I'm wasn't saying that these players can't be succesful. I was saying you shouldn't build your rotation around them. Schilling was a huge part of the Red Sox winning two years ago. But you need to build your rotation around guys in their prime not the old guys. Rogers is playing the Schilling role in Detroit right now.

    New York would be much better with guys like Arroyo and Harang as the meat of their rotation. I'd imagine if we're in the ARod sweepstakes they'll demand one of these guys.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: I have to laugh at......

    Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    I'm wasn't saying that these players can't be succesful. I was saying you shouldn't build your rotation around them. Schilling was a huge part of the Red Sox winning two years ago. But you need to build your rotation around guys in their prime not the old guys. Rogers is playing the Schilling role in Detroit right now.

    New York would be much better with guys like Arroyo and Harang as the meat of their rotation. I'd imagine if we're in the ARod sweepstakes they'll demand one of these guys.
    They are big fans of the long ball and working counts maybe ARod plus Cash for Dunn and Milton (Heck Milton would probably do decent in Yankee Stadium).

  16. #15
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,843

    Re: I have to laugh at......

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    They are big fans of the long ball and working counts maybe ARod plus Cash for Dunn and Milton (Heck Milton would probably do decent in Yankee Stadium).
    I can't see the Yankees being interested in Dunn. Even if Sheffield goes, they have Cabrera, Matsui, Damon and Abreau in OF/DH and Giambi at 1B and DH. They'd want Harang or Arroyo and probably Bailey. They may want EdE to play 3B with A-Rod gone.

    I think Milton would be better in Yankee stadium as well. Maybe we could pawn him off for payflex and maybe a bullpen arm. I won't hold my breath.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25