Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Torre is sure to be fired... or not

Torre is sure to be fired... or not

...and Lou Pinella hired. The Yankees were not prepared to play the last 3 games. Steinbrenner gave Torre the best top to bottom lineup in history, where Cano, who finished 3rd in the AL in batting, was the #9 hitter. And across the board they failed. 3 total hits for the #'s 4, 5, 6 hitters for the series. Steinbrenner will blame Torre. Note: Torre's daughter lives in Cincinnati, and he had dinner with Lindner when Carl was owner. If the Reds are really interested in making the team better every chance they get, if Torre becomes available, they should grab him.
    Last edited by Wheelhouse; 10-08-2006 at 04:08 AM.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

Re: Torre is sure to be fired...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    ...and Lou Pinella hired. The Yankees were not prepared to play the last 3 games. Steinbrenner gave Torre the best top to bottom lineup in history, where Cano, who finished 3rd in the AL in batting, was the #9 hitter. And across the board they failed. 3 total hits for the #'s 4, 5, 6 hitters for the series. Steinbrenner will blame Torre. Note: Torre's daughter lives in Cincinnati, and he had dinner with Lindner when Carl was owner. If the Reds are really interested in making the team better every chance they get, if Torre becomes available, they should grab him.
    I hear what you're saying, but if Torre gets fired because he can't manage the best lineup in history, how would he do with something less than that?

He's not sure to be fired. Even if he was canned, he'd likely retire before taking another managers job.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Torre gets fired because a group of Future HOFs and All Stars couldn't hit?

I don't have much love for Torre but what he supposed to do? Bench them and play Cairo, Phillips and Fasano?

Talk about Fall guy...
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I hear what you're saying, but if Torre gets fired because he can't manage the best lineup in history, how would he do with something less than that?
    I think the talent on the team is the best. I also think the team is one big head-case and is in a certain way, unmanageable. Torre has the rings and the rep to cut through the inertia of the Reds clubhouse and make them play more consistent ball.

I'm not saying the firing will be justified--Torre barely escaped George's ax last year, and that's the way Steinbrenner works. With Pinella available, it only makes it more likely. I think firing Torre would be foolish for the Yanks. But after this loss, there will be a call for blood from Tampa.

Torre is an overrated manager. He was an avergae (if that) manager before striking gold with the Yankees. Cashman is more likely to get fired, esp since Torre has $7 million due to him next year.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Torre is an overrated manager. He was an avergae (if that) manager before striking gold with the Yankees. Cashman is more likely to get fired, esp since Torre has $7 million due to him next year.
    ?????? Every Yankee manager has had the resources Torre has. None won nine straight division titles. He has been stellar.

...the best top to bottom lineup in history...
    :thumbdown

Please, this was pure Joe Morgan blather, and he was too proud to back down from this foolish, foolish statement. How many Hall of Famers do you see in that line-up? A-Rod because he has the numbers, and Jeter because he was luckier than Larkin and played in New York. This was a New York media over-hyped line-up that was exposed by good pitching.

IMO, Joe Morgan's analytical star has been tarnished...and he owes Rose,Griffey, Bench, Perez, Foster, and Sparky an apology.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Torre? Personally, I'm blame ARod.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Torre? Personally, I'm blame ARod.
    Yep. 3 runs scored in 23 innings, 9 batters, and clearly the only person responsible is A-Rod.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

?????? Every Yankee manager has had the resources Torre has.
    What does this mean? They have all have been dealt a huge advantage, but only the "Great Torre" has been superior enough to win nine titles???

None won nine straight division titles. He has been stellar.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You have single handedly diminished the word "stellar".
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

LO i am just re reading number 1 by Billy Martin right now and sure as hell Joe is gonna be gone(retired is my bet) The man did a great job and THE GEORGE. I salute his work and am glad he is getting out.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Yep. 3 runs scored in 23 innings, 9 batters, and clearly the only person responsible is A-Rod.
    Well, it certainly wasn't the pitching, Sheffield, Matsui, Giambi, Damon, Cashman or anybody else. The media would be all over that story...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    What does this mean? They have all have been dealt a huge advantage, but only the "Great Torre" has been superior enough to win nine titles???

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You have single handedly diminished the word "stellar".
    As Krivsky said in his first press conference "The road is littered with teams with money that have performed poorly."

Turn Off Ads?