Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds have three top 25 prospects according to this wesbite

Reds have three top 25 prospects according to this wesbite

And I agree with that assessment. The list only goes to 25, but I believe Johnny Cueto is a top 80 prospect, and Travis Wood also deserves some nomination for a top 100 selection.

21. Jay Bruce, OF, Reds (new): Bruce made a big splash in his full season debut at low-A in 2006. The 2005 first round pick batted .291 with 42 doubles, 16 HR, 81 RBI, and 19 stolen bases. Bruce should continue to get better as he is just 19 years old, but the five-tool prospect still has a few more years in the minors ahead of him.

14. Joey Votto, 1B, Reds (+5): Votto had a big season at AA in 2006. He batted .319 with 22 HR and 77 RBI. He also had 46 doubles, 24 stolen bases, and a .408 OBP. The team signed current first baseman Scott Hatteberg to a contract extension so it appears that Votto will begin next season at AAA.

10. Homer Bailey, SP, Cincinnati Reds (+4): Bailey began the season at high-A and finished the year at AA. He was outstanding upon his arrival at AA and went 7-1 in 13 starts with a 1.59 ERA, a 1.15 WHIP, and 77 strikeouts in 68 innings. The team would prefer not to rush him, but Bailey could pitch his way into the Redsí rotation next spring.

http://baseball.about.com/od/toppros.../top250906.htm

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds have three top 25 prospects according to this wesbite

The top 9 prospects are position players? Then Bailey? Sorry in my book Bailey is the top prospect in the minors, period.

Pitching Pitching Pitching
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The top 9 prospects are position players? Then Bailey? Sorry in my book Bailey is the top prospect in the minors, period.

I kind of agree, but this may be due to the volatile nature of pitching. Position players are less risky, easier to project and more likely to contribute even if they fall below expectations. The injury risk is less as well.

On the other hand, pitchers who fall below expectations end up on the Reds .

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post

by most accounts, Hughes is at least as good a prospect as Bailey
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    by most accounts, Hughes is at least as good a prospect as Bailey
    That is not what they said, Hughes is the most polished of the 2004 crop right now, but the consensus is Bailey has a higher upside.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    That is not what they said, Hughes is the most polished of the 2004 crop right now, but the consensus is Bailey has a higher upside.
    I was talking about comments from Goldstein and BA.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Wow. That guy was stoned or something.

Stewart, Guzman, Barton, and Saltalamacchia all had VERY mediocre seasons, yet are ranked above Bailey. Another thing: How is Brandon Wood #1 and Ried Brignac not even on the list?

I have to question any list that has someone ranked at #8 that hit .230 in AAA.

It's nice to see Bailey, Votto, and Bruce rated so highly. I just hope this organization gives them a chance to make it in Cincy, as opposed to shipping them off for "veteran presence."
    Stop! Heisey time!

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Wow. That guy was stoned or something.

Stewart, Guzman, Barton, and Saltalamacchia all had VERY mediocre seasons, yet are ranked above Bailey. Another thing: How is Brandon Wood #1 and Ried Brignac not even on the list?
    Brandon Wood is a ridiculous talent. Kid EXPLODED last year.

Aves, B Wood has a ton of talent, he is actually my 3rd prospect in the minors behind Delmon Young and Alex Gordon. However to not have Reid Brignac on the list is a joke like superdude said.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Aves, B Wood has a ton of talent, he is actually my 3rd prospect in the minors behind Delmon Young and Alex Gordon. However to not have Reid Brignac on the list is a joke like superdude said.
    I'm not saying Brignac isn't, I was just defending Wood, that is all.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Whenever I read about prospects, I'm always reminded of that line from Jerry Maguire about popcorn kernels.

How did you get that interesting name, I wonder if it was somehow related to a legendary antediluvian poster from cincinnati.com with a similar sobriquet, except the m and n were exchanged, I think you should forfeit some royalties

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

mike, is that you?

It is within the realm of the possible that the "mike" who is referred to, is a scion of the plenipotentiary progenitor, Don Heffner

Turn Off Ads?