Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brennaman deal may be free-agency omen

Brennaman deal may be free-agency omen

Brennaman deal may be free-agency omen
    Reds insider

BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Signing Thom Brennaman to join his father, Marty, in the Reds' radio booth was the latest example of how important it is to have a visible owner.

Had owner Bob Castellini not been involved in the wooing process, Brennaman still would be employed by the Diamondbacks.

Having him in the booth is not going to win the Reds one game, but the fact that Castellini and Co. were able to get the No. 1 guy on their list bodes well for future endeavors, i.e., signing free agents.

"If this is any indication - and I'm not so bold as to believe that the broadcaster is a big deal - but if this is any indication of the way this franchise is starting to operate, it says to the fans in this city and around this entire region that this franchise is coming back," Thom Brennaman said. "It will be at the top again. You can mark it down."

Thom Brennaman credited Castellini and COO John Allen for getting the deal done to bring him home.

"I know a lot of you understand this, but I can't stress enough having worked in big markets, medium markets, small markets, that there's a lot going on with this Reds franchise, thanks to this guy here," Thom Brennaman said about Castellini.

Getting free agents comes down to money and, well, money. With all things being equal, having an owner who is involved and committed to winning is a huge plus. It was a factor in outfielder Adam Dunn signing a three-year deal last year.

Because they have holes, the Reds figure to be a factor in free agency.

Under Castellini, don't expect bottom-feeder shopping.

That's not to say the Reds will compete with the big-market clubs in buying players. The biggest reason for that is they don't have a ton of money to throw around.

Castellini says the club will budget to break even. Because of the new television contract and a 10 percent bump in attendance, the payroll will go up substantially. My guess is into the $75 million range.

They have 10 players who will combine to make just under $50 million next year. The arbitration-eligible players - pitchers Aaron Harang and Kyle Lohse and catcher David Ross - will get another $11 million or so. Even if everyone else on the roster made the big-league minimum, that would put the payroll at $65 million.

That would leave $10 million for shopping if the payroll went to $75 million. The Reds need a closer and a shortstop, and $10 million doesn't buy what it used to.

Of course, general manager Wayne Krivsky isn't averse to trades. The bulk of the money committed for next year goes to four players: Ken Griffey Jr. ($12.5 million, although half is deferred), Dunn ($10.5 million), Eric Milton ($9 million) and Jason LaRue ($5.2 million).

Trade any of the four and it creates flexibility. The problem is Dunn is probably the only one tradable, and his value is down after an off year.

UPDATES: Krivsky said he hasn't talked with infielder Rich Aurilia's agent recently. The Reds and Aurilia hold a mutual option for $2 million.

On the coaching front, look for the staff to come back pretty much intact. The delay has been working with pitching coach Vern Ruhle, who continues to undergo treatment for cancer. He'll probably move into a minor-league instructor role in Sarasota, where he lives in the offseason.

MORE HIRES: Krivsky continues to add to the scouting operation. He hired Tony Arias, formerly with Toronto, to scout Latin America, and Pat Kelly, formerly with Atlanta, as a special assignment scout/Gulf Coast League manager.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...610080436/1071

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brennaman deal may be free-agency omen

Wouldn't it be something if the Reds stunned the baseball world by signing LHP Barry Zito?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Is it me, or is it cool to see Thom Brennaman on FOX, and say, "Hey, he's one of OURS!"

That is some national exposure for Cincinnati.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I'm impressed that Krivsky continues to beef up the scouting operations,and I can't wait to see the prospects to come along in the future.Nice he hired an ex Braves scout.

Man Pills

I read no such omen in the tea leaves.

I'll read something into the FA thing when he starts signing FAs.

Zito would cost the Reds a 2nd round draft pick, not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Wouldn't it be something if the Reds stunned the baseball world by signing LHP Barry Zito?
    YES.

I think these articles are more public relations than anything else. They're supposed to make the public feel good and buy into the Reds. Which is fine with me, they do make me feel good, and more people should buy into the Reds. But it doesn't really mean anything yet.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Well if nothing else the Reds can always say they signed the best FA broadcaster next season! Woo hoo. Just make sure you find out if he's going to be on the radio that day, or TV, or Fox, or somewhere else.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

"If this is any indication - and I'm not so bold as to believe that the broadcaster is a big deal - but if this is any indication of the way this franchise is starting to operate, it says to the fans in this city and around this entire region that this franchise is coming back," Thom Brennaman said. "It will be at the top again. You can mark it down."
    So, the signing of Thom Brennaman- according to Thom Brennaman- is a sign that the Reds will be coming back, even though the broadcaster is not a big deal.

It's good to know that the apple never falls too far from the tree.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Regardless, the TV broadcasts should be a lot more listenable when Thom's in there for George.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Regardless, the TV broadcasts should be a lot more listenable when Thom's in there for George.
    I wholeheartedly agree- I just want to make that decision myself and not have Thom tell me how getting him is such a great deal.

It reminds me of Johnny Bench announcing Reds games and giving trivia questions with himself as the answer.

"You know what other catcher hit two home runs in a game against Jerry Koosman....ME!!!!!!!!!"
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Ziot ain't leaving the left coast. The only way that happens is if one of the NYC teams offer him ridiculous money. My guess is he winds up with the Angels or Dodgers.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Zito and his satin pillow cases ain't coming to Cincinnati anytime soon unless it's as a Padre or a Dodger.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    So, the signing of Thom Brennaman- according to Thom Brennaman- is a sign that the Reds will be coming back, even though the broadcaster is not a big deal.

It's good to know that the apple never falls too far from the tree.

Dom - I initially had the same reaction when I was watching the press conference. However, the more I've watched the conference and listened to the context of the comment, I realize that this isn't what Thom B. meant.

He's talking about the fact that Castellini was so aggressive and relentless in his pursuit of Thom Brenneman. It shows that Cast knows what he wants and he'll do anything to get it. This, I think, is what Thom meant when he made this comment about how this franchise is operating and why it's coming back. It's not because of a new broadcaster - it's because the owner will get business done.

Hope this clarifies.
    "It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come out, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone.
    -A. Barlett Giamatti

After watching this season, I believe that as long as Jerry Narron writes out the line up card, the Reds could get Ruth, Aaron, Bench and Rose in their prime and still manage to not make the playoffs.
    Win the Division

Turn Off Ads?