Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ORG odds A-Rod gets canned

ORG odds A-Rod gets canned

Right now I would say 20-1.I'm sure the boss is fuming,but he knows the numbers that A-Rod can put up.But if trade rumours start,then I see his odds dropping a whole lot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ORG odds A-Rod gets canned

I don't think he's going anywhere. Torre may leave, but A-Rod won't.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I agree, Torre will be the perfect scapegoat for Steinbrenner. Actually, given the Boss's penchant for firing managers through the years, Joe has been there an astonishingly long time.

He would never get back the value he needs to in trading ARod, so Torre will get the blame.

It's kind of a shame really; I do admire Joe Torre. A five game series in baseball is essentially a coin flip; the Togers had way better pitching all year (actually the best in baseball) than the Yankees, I personally would expect them to beat the Yanks in a very short series.

Playoff baseball is a different game than regular season baseball, but then again, Cashman and Steinbrenner know that and certainly have the $$ to spend on being sure they are ready.

As disgusting as it is to me, there's no question that A-Rod has something to prove now. If he agreed to a trade, he would be admitting failure. New York would never let him forget it and neither would the fans wherever he ended up. If he thinks that leaving New York right now is the way to stop the ribbing and get back to baseball, he's sorely mistaken. Had he never gone to New York in the first place, things would be different. He might have had a purely baseball-focused, successful career the last couple of years and maybe would be in a happier, better position. So it's a shame for him. But he took the chance, and I think he'll be sticking around until he proves himself. He's widely known as one of the hardest-working athletes in the game. I don't buy into this stuff that he doesn't want to be the best, that being on a winning team is important to him. On the contrary, I'd say it's almost too important to him. And of course the talent is there. He just has a very rocky road to cross.

And from the standpoint of the Yankees organization -- I know they recognize that there's a problem here, and that A-Rod is not living up to his potential nor is he doing everything they had hoped. But the fact remains, and they must recognize it, that his numbers would simply be very difficult to replace. He was an important part of the team's success this year; he was an absolutely pivotal part last year. They would not have made the playoffs in 2005 without him. And as disastrous as it may feel to lose in the first round of the playoffs, it would have been much more disastrous not to make it there at all for the first time in ten years. And he's still only 31 years old. I know that to prove yourself as a "true Yankee" among the fans you have to have a great postseason. But the baseball people in the organization have to recognize that there are 162 crucial games that come before that.

Part of the appeal of bringing in Sweet Lou may be that ARod played some pretty good baseball with him on the Mariners.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Another thing. I always thought if Jeter was such a team player and leader, that he should have volunteered to move to second base and let ARod play short when they got him.

ARod was the best shortstop in baseball. That would have been the optimum situation for the Yankees, IMO. Say what you will about Rose, but he changed positions for the good of the team and look what happened.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Another thing. I always thought if Jeter was such a team player and leader, that he should have volunteered to move to second base and let ARod play short when they got him.
    Jeter would be better in center field than at second. I always thought that would have been a good move for him when Bernie started to decline.

5:1

I think he is going. How's this offer:

Griffey
    Milton
    Pelland
    LaRue

for

A-Rod
    Some cash
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 10-08-2006 at 04:54 PM.

I think odds are better than 50/50 that he is gone. When the Yankees want to get rid of someone, a bad contract has never been a problem. Remember Weaver? Vasquez? Kenny Rogers?

Some really smart GM with some cajones and cash will take a chance on him and move him back to short. At third, he is terrible on bunt (one of the worst in the majors according to John Dewan), and he lacks Mike Schmidt-like instincts in getting to the ball. IMO, he looks like a shortstop playing third. When he was playing shortstop, he could wait on the ball and use his arm to make up for any quick reactions that he lacks.

He appears to be thinking in the field rather than reacting. And there is no time for thinking at third.

I think they'll move him and bring in Aramis Ramirez.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

50:1... that he gets traded.

3:1... that George buy$ a machine that can clone Mike $chmidt during hi$ prime and then he use$ AROD a$ a utility-guy.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    As disgusting as it is to me, there's no question that A-Rod has something to prove now. .
    I know that is the popular opinion, but the guy posted a 392 OBP and 523 SLG.

I know he had 24 Errors this year, but they still made the playoffs.

I didn't watch the entire ALCS. Did he have a big screwup there? IIRC, he was batting 6th. Seems odd to make the #6 hitter the scape goat.

I don't buy the fact that the playoffs are a coin toss, but an individuals can slump over 4 games against good pitching. The guy only had 14 at bats in the ALCS.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I know that is the popular opinion, but the guy posted a 392 OBP and 523 SLG.
    As well as.... 35 Hrs, 121 RBIs

I didn't watch the entire ALCS. Did he have a big screwup there? IIRC, he was batting 6th. Seems odd to make the #6 hitter the scape goat.
    But why was he moved down to the 6th spot? It was because he went through several nice (and prolonged) slumps this year.

For Arod, it was an of year. The guy struggled badly at times.... for what you expect from Arod.

And NY is a tough place to do that at. They show no mercy, that is for sure.

I don't buy the fact that the playoffs are a coin toss, but an individuals can slump over 4 games against good pitching. The guy only had 14 at bats in the ALCS.
    AT THE PLATE: A disappearing act. Dropped to eighth in the batting order for the first time since 1996, he had two groundouts and a flyout. Finished with a mere single in the Yankees' four-game loss to Detroit, going 1-for-14 (.071). For the second straight postseason, he did not have an RBI. Left 10 men on base.

IN THE FIELD: His throwing error from third base helped Detroit score an unearned run in the third inning, giving the Tigers a 4-0 lead on their way to a clinching 8-3 victory.

KEY STAT: Rodriguez is 4-for-41 (.098) without an RBI in his last 12 playoff games. He's a .280 hitter with six home runs and 16 RBIs in 35 career postseason games, and is still waiting to reach his first World Series.

In 2004, it was Rodriguez's 2-for-17 performance in the final four games of the AL championship series loss to the Boston Red Sox that made headlines. Then came last year's wipeout against the Angels.

And the recent SI article on Arod, which I thought was very good, showed a "superstar" who is having trouble fitting in, and is perceived by his teammates and the NY fans as aloof.

It’s not a nasty article, but an exceptionally balanced and fair one, to which A-Rod willingly contributed. But the message can’t be mistaken: the Yankees want the most talented man in the game to play up to his own opinion of himself. They also wouldn’t object terribly if he could somehow transform himself from Mr. Perfect, whose every word and action seemed to be scripted, into an actual human being and, more to the point, a passionate player.

But I think this USA Today article really nailed it....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...od-jeter_x.htm
    Last edited by GAC; 10-09-2006 at 09:37 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I don't think they would even consider trading A-rod for Griffey, Milton, Pelland Larue and cash. Cash isn't a problem in the Yankee org and these 4 players don't stand up to Yankee standards all added together. Well, maybe all added together, but you aren't allowed that many players on the field.
    Last edited by 37red; 10-09-2006 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    50:1... that he gets traded.

3:1... that George buy$ a machine that can clone Mike $chmidt during hi$ prime and then he use$ AROD a$ a utility-guy.

LOL,good one Redsfan.

Turn Off Ads?