Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer losing some zip on some games

Computer losing some zip on some games

Hi guys,

My desktop is 4 years old. It works fine. I have noticed that it's slow playing certain games (like Jungle Gin in Pogo). I suppose gaming needs may be passing my computer's abilities.

What sorts of things can I look at to give it a nudge?

It's Windows XP Service Pack 2. (I know .... I groaned when that came along). Pentium 4, 1,90 GHz, 1.89 Ghz, 512 Ram

Should I look to upgrade memory, graphics card ..... ?
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Computer losing some zip on some games

Oh yeah, it's not my internet connection. I've played the same games on my work laptop and I have no trouble at all. Sssshhhhh ..... I was just testing.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

...... and I've run Ad Aware, Disk cleanup/defrag and cleared my cache, etc.

Retired

Needs more RAM.

Windows slows down the longer it goes without a reinstall, it just happens no matter how clean the system is.
    Go Gators!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

You could remove the word "computer" from the title of this thread and insert the name of any number of pitchers the Reds have had over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    You could remove the word "computer" from the title of this thread and insert the name of any number of pitchers the Reds have had over the years.
    So says the 'resident optimist'

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

RAM/Memory is usually the culprit in a computer slowing down

Wow, if your not able to run simple games like that on pogo, it means a)Theres a malfunction with your hardware b) You need to update your hardwares drivers. C) You have a lot of spyware and trojans that are undetected by scans and if this is the case I just usually reformat it.
    I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

While more RAM may help, 512 should still be sufficient.

What kind on graphics card is installed?

And as FoReel already suggested, you may need to update your drivers.

And AdAware doesn't always get all spyware.

I suggest getting Webroot's Spy Sweeper. I think it is the best on the market. You can download it for a free 30 day trial. But afterwards, it's $30 well invested.

I run it and AdAware.

http://www.webroot.com/land/freescan...929&ac=5191048
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I run Zone Alarm as my firewall, AVG as my anti virus and ewido as my anti spyware. All have pay versions, but I run the free versions. I also run Microsofts Windows Defender as a second spyware search, then Ad Aware. I run all three about once a month.

makes me feel somewhat safe.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Hi guys,

My desktop is 4 years old. It works fine. I have noticed that it's slow playing certain games (like Jungle Gin in Pogo). I suppose gaming needs may be passing my computer's abilities.
    What sorts of things can I look at to give it a nudge?

It's Windows XP Service Pack 2. (I know .... I groaned when that came along). Pentium 4, 1,90 GHz, 1.89 Ghz, 512 Ram

Should I look to upgrade memory, graphics card ..... ?
    That PC should be just fine for playing those games. Even though you have cleaned up your hard drive some, if you haven't reinstalled your operating system in 4 years, the Windows Registry is probably a nice little mess. There are some tools out there to help you, and if you feel ok about trying something before doing a complete reinstall of your OS, then I would try one of them. I personally like TuneUp Utilities http://www.tune-up.com/

Thanks everyone. I'll try some of these when I get home again.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    That PC should be just fine for playing those games. Even though you have cleaned up your hard drive some, if you haven't reinstalled your operating system in 4 years, the Windows Registry is probably a nice little mess. There are some tools out there to help you, and if you feel ok about trying something before doing a complete reinstall of your OS, then I would try one of them. I personally like TuneUp Utilities http://www.tune-up.com/
    Is Ace Utilies, which I have, pretty much the same thing?

http://www.download.com/Ace-Utilitie...-10145494.html
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Is Ace Utilies, which I have, pretty much the same thing?

http://www.download.com/Ace-Utilitie...-10145494.html
    Yes, it is very similar. There are several of these little programs out there. I just suggested the one I have used before.

Turn Off Ads?