Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watching the Cards popping champagne makes me want to puke

Watching the Cards popping champagne makes me want to puke

Ugh. Disgusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Watching the Cards popping champagne makes me want to puke

I'll drink to that.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I felt kinda happy for them... Felt very bad for the Padres though.

They really have to be commended in a way. The story of these division series is and will continue to be DAVID TOPPLING GOLIATH (Tigers over Yanks). This is already totally revisionist. The Tigers have been a solid and dangerous team all year long, with top-notch pitching, a well-rounded team, and a very smart manager. As a Yankees fan I can tell you that none of my fellow fans expected that series to be a walk in the park for the Yankees. Sometimes I really believe that the press plays up the strength of the Yankees just so they can speak more dramatically if and when they fall.

The Cardinals, on the other hand, limped into the playoffs with by far the worst record of any playoff team (and worse in fact than a handful of other teams that did not even make the playoffs). They choked so badly at the end of the season that they almost didn't make it, and many thought it was a disgrace that they did. Half their team is hurt, some badly, and their pitching is mostly a joke. I can't recall a single prediction that believed they would even get out of this round. Yet they beat the Padres convincingly in four. Of all the series, this was the one in which the underdog really came through. I am not a Cardinals fan by any means, but I recognize how impressive this win was for them.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

They should have just cancelled the NL playoffs this year and added two more Wild Cards to the AL. As an NL fan, I'm embarassed that the Cards and Padres were even playing in the playoffs. And the Mets without their #1 and #3 starter aren't really much better.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Good lord... the Cards vs. the Mets for the NL crown.

Pleasant... the Tigers vs. the A's for the AL crown.

Perhaps I just find it easier to hate other NL teams b/c my fav team is in the NL? I have hated the Mets since 1973 and the NLCS... I was young but was old enough to get it. The Cards... no explanation needed here.

The Tigers are easy to like this year. Casey, young (not D'Meat) players, only the 6th highest payroll in the AL. The A's too... lowest payroll of all the teams that made the playoffs this year (#11 in the AL & #21 in MLB).
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

The Reds went 9-6 against the Cards (and 10-5 v. the 'Stros). Should we be mad that the Cards are still in or should we be mad at our guys for not closing out the deal against the likes of the Brewers and Cubs?

Of course how can a team win a divison when it played under .500 within it like the Cards did? That pretty much exposes the divisions for what they really are, just artificial groupings of 5 or 6 teams with a playoff spot reserved for the team among each group with the best overall record versus divergent schedules.

At the least I would like to see the teams within the division play each other the same amount of times. Ideally they would play the same exact schedule but I guess everybody loves interleague play so much that will not happen; but they ought to make the schedules identical except for the interleague.

Here is my crazy thought for the day. If they can't make the schedules identical within divisions, adopt a points system like soccer or hockey for awarding the divisional championships. Weight intradivisional wins at 2 points and all others at 1. They could keep the current traditional standings to settle the wildcard.
    Last edited by jnwohio; 10-09-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Perhaps I just find it easier to hate other NL teams b/c my fav team is in the NL?
    I think you've hit on it right there, RFA. As a Reds / Bengals fan, I'm the same way. With the exception of the Yankees and maybe the Red Sox, I'm fairly indifferent about the teams in the AL. In the NL, however, there are a few teams that I really don't like at all. In the NFL. I always root against the 49ers and Cowboys in the NFC (unless, hypothetically, the Bengals need them to win in a playoff scenario), but really don't have any strong feelings either way for the rest of the NFC teams. In the AFC, on the other hand, there are several teams that I really don't like.

As for this World Series, I'll be for the AL, regardless of who's playing. The hideous uniforms the Mets wear is reason enough to hope they lose. At least the Cardinals, A's, and Tigers know how to dress.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    At least the Tigers know how to dress.

Yeah, fortunately, they don't dress anything like the Bengals. Shouldn't Bengals fans just naturally root for the Tigers, though, anyway?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Ugh. Disgusting.
    I completely agree.

After the Cardinals bumbled and stumbled their way to being one of the lamest playoff teams ever . . . watch them get by a Mets team that's lost Pedro and Cliff Floyd.

Then we spend another week hearing about the mighty Cardinals, Sir Albert, the genius of Tony LaRussa (World Series record: 5-13), and the "greatest baseball fans in the world".

Forget the Dodgers; that was 30 years ago. I'm really starting to dislike the Cardinals.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post

Perhaps I just find it easier to hate other NL teams b/c my fav team is in the NL?
    i was thinking about this the other day...i seem to always favor the american league team's in the playoffs...yet, the funny thing is, that i absolutely hate american league baseball, due to the dh...i will never root for the cardinals or the mets...as for the tigers, they've been down and out so long, i'm pulling for them...

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    i was thinking about this the other day...i seem to always favor the american league team's in the playoffs...yet, the funny thing is, that i absolutely hate american league baseball, due to the dh...i will never root for the cardinals or the mets...as for the tigers, they've been down and out so long, i'm pulling for them...
    I'm definitely like that.

I root for AL over NL.

Less so for me as far as football is concerned. I always root for an NFC team to beat an AFC team during the regular season, b/c that might help the Bengals, but not always in the Super Bowl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

As soon as St. Louis made the last out I changed the channel. I just didn't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by tsj017 View Post
    I completely agree.

After the Cardinals bumbled and stumbled their way to being one of the lamest playoff teams ever . . . watch them get by a Mets team that's lost Pedro and Cliff Floyd.

Then we spend another week hearing about the mighty Cardinals, Sir Albert, the genius of Tony LaRussa (World Series record: 5-13), and the "greatest baseball fans in the world".

Forget the Dodgers; that was 30 years ago. I'm really starting to dislike the Cardinals.
    100% agree!!

There is no team in professional sports I detest more than the the Cardinals. Their very existence (and attitude) is repulsive to me.

It kills me. The Reds were much better head to head over the Cards this year (and were competitive against the Mets). With a little better in game strategy and use of the roster, the Reds should be competing for the World Series. Instead, we're all sitting around fighting with each other about whether a different manager would have made a difference, whether Adam Dunn will ever really be what Adam Dunn can be, whether Jason Schmidt is the answer, blah blah blah, yada yada yada.

I'm just hoping the pain of the collapse goes away by December.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    They should have just cancelled the NL playoffs this year and added two more Wild Cards to the AL. As an NL fan, I'm embarassed that the Cards and Padres were even playing in the playoffs. And the Mets without their #1 and #3 starter aren't really much better.
    Amen to that.

The Cardinals suck, and quite frankly don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Go Mets!
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 10-10-2006 at 08:15 PM.

Turn Off Ads?