Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How dumb will the Texans end up looking for passing on Reggie Bush?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Incredibly, unbelievably, one of the worst decisions of all-time, Sam Bowie over Jordan stupid

15 44.12%
  • Extremely stupid

9 26.47%
  • Sort of stupid

7 20.59%
  • Mildly retarded

3 8.82%
  • They made the right choice and everyone else's opinion on planet Earth will be proven wrong

0 0%

Thread: How dumb will the Texans end up looking for passing on Bush?

How dumb will the Texans end up looking for passing on Bush?

Really really really stupid.
    Last edited by WMR; 10-09-2006 at 01:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: How dumb will the Texans end up looking for passing on Bush?

Reggie Bush hasn't done anything to impress me as of yet. Given, Mario hasn't either, but at the least, they could have sold some more tickets this year had they taken Bush.

As of right now, I think Reggie looks a lot like Brian Westbrook. A back that can be a threat in a lot of ways, but doesn't really accel in any on of them in particular. Given, he still has plenty of time to make adjustments to his game, but right now he seems to still be trying to play like he did in college, flat out outrun people.
    He hasn't seemed like a between the tackles back, which I feel is something you need to be in the NFL to succeed long-term. He likes to try to bend the corners a lot and bounce the ball to the outside and try to outrun guys, but the speed of the game in the NFL is so much faster that he isn't having much success doing it.

He'll pile up a lot of multi-purpose yards this year, but until he starts learning a more NFL oriented running style, I don't think he'll project to be much better than a Westbrook.

Yeah, I think this will go down as one of the bigger blunders in NFL draft history. And it's not one that will require hindsight, where you could look and say, "sure, I could see what they were thinking. And there were still question marks about Bush." I think Bush as the #1 in the draft was the biggest no-brainer since I've been following the draft.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I tend to agree with you Mike. I understand what the Texans were trying to achieve (fill a dire need); but that team has alot of "dire needs".

Bush is a talent you just can't pass up on.

Hey! The Saints are 4-1, and Bush has contributed to that somewhat IMO.

Mario's stock really soared after the NFL combine. Texan's owner McNair said Williams could be another Reegie White or Lawrence Taylor. I just hope he doesn't become another Courtney Brown.

I'm one who has always believed that before you go out and draft high profile RBs, WRs, and even QBs, out of college, you better have the other pieces of the puzzle in place to build around/complement these guys, or at least intend to add them via trade/free agency.

I think the Detriot Lions (why is McMillen still there?) is a perfect example of this. And also, to an extent, the Bengals prior to Marvin Lewis coming to town.

Marvin knew what needed to be addressed.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

What is the Saints record if Aaron Brooks is still the QB, even with Reggie Bush?

I can't vote in this poll as I don't know enough about Williams. Who is to say he isn't the next Reggie White?

Time will tell.

Football is different than basketball. No matter how talented Bush is, he does nothing without good blockers. The Texans were not in a position where a player like Bush would have made a difference. Passing on him was not a bad move, but taking Mario Williams was what made that move bad. They need an O-line. They should have taken D'Brickashaw Ferguson.
    Last edited by guttle11; 10-09-2006 at 05:00 PM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

I'm a firm believer that you take the most talented guy for at least the first few picks of the draft. Odds are if you have a top 5 pick you have so many glaring holes on your roster that you should just take the most talented guy.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dburke1337 View Post
    Reggie Bush hasn't done anything to impress me as of yet. Given, Mario hasn't either, but at the least, they could have sold some more tickets this year had they taken Bush.

As of right now, I think Reggie looks a lot like Brian Westbrook. A back that can be a threat in a lot of ways, but doesn't really accel in any on of them in particular. Given, he still has plenty of time to make adjustments to his game, but right now he seems to still be trying to play like he did in college, flat out outrun people.
    He hasn't seemed like a between the tackles back, which I feel is something you need to be in the NFL to succeed long-term. He likes to try to bend the corners a lot and bounce the ball to the outside and try to outrun guys, but the speed of the game in the NFL is so much faster that he isn't having much success doing it.

He'll pile up a lot of multi-purpose yards this year, but until he starts learning a more NFL oriented running style, I don't think he'll project to be much better than a Westbrook.
    I disagree, and I think you are seriously underrating Brian Westbrook. His performance and not McNabb's is why the Eagles have been successful this year.

This is only Bush's rookie year, and while he hasnt exactly set the world on fire, he has done a lot to help the Saints get to where they are. Give him a year or two and you will see improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I wasn't trying to underrate Westbrook. I actually think that he's a very good player as a multi-dimensional back, which is what Bush has looked like so far this year.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

The Texans should have traded for more draft picks.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The Texans should have traded for more draft picks.
    I dont think that would have helped any more than taking Mario Williams. The Chargers did this with Michael Vick, although the talent pool was a little deeper than this years.

Bottom line is you have a player that has the chance of being the best all around player in the game. He is an excellent kick returner(ask the Bucs), and an excellent pass catching back, similar to Marshall Faulk and LaDainian Tomlinson. The only true weakness is whether or not he can run between the tackles. The Saints realized this, even though they had a capable running back, and planned around it. The Texans, for whatever reason, decided to pass and they are going to pay for it similar to the way the Chargers did.

If I were going to trade the no 1 pick though, I would have definitely traded with the Jets.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Mario Williams was not an overall #1, that's where the Texans went wrong. I still feel Bush is essentially Super Dave Meggett. Not that there isn't any value in that, but there's no way he's going to live up to all of the hype he was given. The Texans really should've traded out of that spot, the had so many holes to fill and could've gotten more help that way.

Turn Off Ads?