Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a-rod to the reds??

a-rod to the reds??

don't see it on reds live unless i'm missing it, but for what its worth Cunningham today was talking about rumors at the station the reds could be in the running for A-Rod?!? I know Cunningham's a goofball but he did have Marty on with him saying it would take a lot of coulda,shoulda,woulda's but that it could be done....Matt anything on this or was it just Cunningham being Cunningham

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: a-rod to the reds??

The guy on Sunday afternoon was blowing smoke about why the Reds should do it. He wanted to send Dunn and Larue for A-Rod. The money would work out, but I can't see it happening.

He also wanted he Reds to sign Torre to manage(said he would sign because his wife is from Cincy), then bring Zim out of retirement since he is from Cincy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    The guy on Sunday afternoon was blowing smoke about why the Reds should do it. He wanted to send Dunn and Larue for A-Rod. The money would work out, but I can't see it happening.

He also wanted he Reds to sign Torre to manage(said he would sign because his wife is from Cincy), then bring Zim out of retirement since he is from Cincy too.
    That was Alan Cutler and I had the misfortune of listening to much of it.

the reds couldnt afford J. Rod, or F ROd(felix not Frankie)

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    That was Alan Cutler ...
    That's when you should have stopped. Not a worse sports talk host in Cincy, including Furball.

I could see it happening...but nothing to even remotely get excited about yet. The odds are probably 20:1 though.

I could actually see the Reds in the running for ARod and I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about it. You may think I'm crazy but it's not that farfetched.

Reasons to support ARod coming to Cincy:

1.) BCast wants to make a splash. This is huge and you know he has to make a big move whether trade or free agency this off season. I'm sure he was disappointed with how fans responded down the stretch and wants to make a splash to get people talking Reds baseball again.

2.) Financials - Reds can take on approx $10 million in payroll this offseason by most estimates. Cast has said he would break even so with added TV revenue this figure is probably pretty close. If WayneK can trade either Griff or Dunn than the financials are there to support ARod. The Rangers are still paying quite a bit of his deal so I think I read where the Yanks pay him approx $16 million per year. This is most definately manageable for the Reds should Griff or Dunn get moved (or even Milton).

3.) Steinbrenner needs to make a move - Steinbrenner is po'ed as evidenced by his comments. He, like BCast, needs to do something dramatic as the Mets are doing well and becoming very popular. Whether he were to try and get a player like Dunn or Griffey or Milton, you can make at least a weak case for each of them filling Yankees' needs. Dunn would help the Yanks get younger and would provide another big lefty bat which is what the Yanks like. Griff would bring starpower although I don't see him approving a trade there. Milton would be another starting option for a staff that isn't getting younger (minus Wang).

4.) Reds are out of the spotlight. ARod can come here and would be supported by the Cincy faithful. Heck, if he doesn't produce in October no one in Cincy will care because we will all be shocked the Reds are playing in October.

5.) Reds need a righty bat - We got some lefties but no proven righty power options. That's assuming Dunn/Griff is still here next year. Encarnacion is well on his way to filling this hole but I can't see him stepping into the clean up spot full time yet.

6.) ARod fills a major hole - We could easily slide ARod in at short and quickly have one of the best infields in baseball no matter who is playing first. He could mentor Encarnacion and take the spotlight off him. Him and Phillips would provide the best DP combo for the Reds since the Larkin/Boone or Larkin/Reese days.

These are just a few reasons off the top of my head. Do I think this will ever happen? Absolutely not. Did I think Griffey would ever get traded? Nope but it did happen. I would be happy with ARod coming to Cincy as we would be buying low and he is certainly looking at several more productive seasons.

I still think there will be a major revamping of the roster this offseason. I think the Reds would be better off going after pitching but if they can get ARod cheap then they have to do it.
    Last edited by Caseyfan21; 10-09-2006 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I could see it happening...but nothing to even remotely get excited about yet. The odds are probably 20:1 though.
    IMO, those odds are extremely generous.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post

Nah. Dunn, Edwin, and Wood should be enough to get them to start talking. They'd want Bailey also, which wouldn't happen, but Wayne may be able to talk them into Wood.

If the Angels don't want to trade Santana, I'd say our chances would become decent. As shallow as the talent pool is, there's trading chips to play with.

If, by some chance the talks did get serious, I'd be willing to part with anyone not named Homer, Votto, or Bruce to get them to add Melky Cabrera.

I concur,more like 60-1

This thread is good for my heart. Lots of laughter.

4.) Reds are out of the spotlight. ARod can come here and would be supported by the Cincy faithful. Heck, if he doesn't produce in October no one in Cincy will care because we will all be shocked the Reds are playing in October.
    Just like the Cincy faithful wouldn't care how Dunn produced in September because we were all shocked to be playing real games that late in the season?

For a player of that stature and amount of money there would be fans complaining about him from the minute the trade was announced.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

while we're at it.. lets just sign Tino and Edgar Martinez, Jay Buhner, Randy Johnson, Jose Cruz Jr, and Dan Wilson.

Aside from the jokes A-Rod IMO would flurish in GABP. I didn't like the guy as soon as he became the 252Million dollar man. But I give him all the credit in the world for playing in that hostile park known as Yankee stadium. Will he win a ring here in Cincinnati? Who knows.. would he waive his trade clause? To Cincinnati.. I'm not so sure. If it would only take Dunn and LaRue to get the deal done you would have to be a knucklehead not to take it. If Dunn went to the Yankees.. I don't think he'd play a game with them. He would then be turn around for pitching. And LaRue would get what he wants being a back-up still.. but who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Just like the Cincy faithful wouldn't care how Dunn produced in September because we were all shocked to be playing real games that late in the season?

For a player of that stature and amount of money there would be fans complaining about him from the minute the trade was announced.
    Fans grumbling on a message board and the local papers putting ARod's "slump" on the front cover is like little league vs. the major leagues. The Cincinnati media, by and large, really did not jump over Dunn's terrible month while the NYC media were all over ARod's supposed slump when he still has a postseason batting average over .300. Also, Dunn was never boo'ed on a consistent basis like ARod was. This board has been more much more pessimistic than average Joe fan's opinion of Dunn.

If A-Rod is traded, it will be to the Angels. Yankees need pitching and the Angels can spare it.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?