Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Let the bidding begin

Let the bidding begin

Japanese star cleared to go to majors; bidders await

TOKYO -- Highly regarded pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka was given permission by the Seibu Lions on Tuesday to pursue a career in the major leagues.

Matsuzaka, who has drawn interest from several major league teams including the New York Yankees, finished the 2006 regular season with a career-high 17 wins against five losses.

The 26-year-old right-hander posted a 2.13 earned run average and 200 strikeouts.

Matsuzaka has long been considered one of the brightest prospects in Japanese professional baseball.

Seibu is expected to use the posting system in which major league teams present bids for Japanese players and the highest bidder wins the negotiating rights. Ichiro Suzuki signed with the Seattle Mariners under the same system.

Matsuzaka is still one year away from becoming a free agent.

In his eight-year career in Japan, Matsuzaka has led the Pacific League in wins three times and in strikeouts four times while winning the ERA title twice and the Sawamura Award, Japan's version of the Cy Young Award, once.

Matsuzaka impressed major league scouts when he helped Japan win the inaugural World Baseball Classic title last March and was named MVP of the tournament.
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Let the bidding begin

Likely a pipe dream, but I would love for the Reds to try for him. He is the only "ace" on the market that I would want for the money. Here's to hoping BC makes a big splash with Matsuzaka and much more.

Thats one of the problems with baseball.

He should go into the Free Agent Draft just as High School and College Players do.

I think it's nuts that some team will pay 25-30 million just for the right to negotiate, and then another 8-10 Mil per year, or more, to actually sign him. He's going to end up costing 15 Mil plus and hasn't thrown a pitch in the majors.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Oh Good Lord.

Nothing's worth that much.

The whole baseball world is freaking nuts.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

It's like going to an art auction and paying $5 million for a vinyl copy of Rappin Rodney.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by isaiahbarney View Post
    Likely a pipe dream, but I would love for the Reds to try for him. He is the only "ace" on the market that I would want for the money. Here's to hoping BC makes a big splash with Matsuzaka and much more.
    Other than Kazuhiro Sasaki and Hideo Nomo, I've been fairly "meh" about most of the imported arms that've made it to the majors thus far. It's a lot of money to spend on someone who you're hoping isn't the next Hideki Irabu.

Besides, I imagine Matsuzaka will want to go to Seattle or New York to help maximize his exposure in both the US and Japan simultaneously -- both already have larage Japanese media contingents following the squads anyway.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

With money like this, lets just move to the corporate names that people have been predicting.

I think Matsuzaka goes to the Nintendo Mariners. The Steinbrenner Inc. Yankees still remember the Irabu fiasco. George can concentrate on Jason Schmidt or bringing back Clemens and Pettite.

Either way, its too much money for the Fruit and Vegetable Stand Reds to pay.

Turn Off Ads?