Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Arizona Fall League starts today

Arizona Fall League starts today

First pitch coming up for the Phoenix Desert Dogs, the team the Reds are working with this year. Only Red in the starting lineup is Cody Strait, batting 5th and playing LF today. the other Reds on the roster are: Drew Anderson, Javon Moran, Jon Coutlangus, Phil Dumatrait, Calvin Medlock and Tyler Pelland.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arizona Fall League starts today

Isn't Jay Bruce playing in it?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

No, Jay is in the Florida Instructional League.

As a side note to all of that, Cody Strait went 2-4 with a stolen base. No other Reds players were used in the game today.

I really want an arizona fall league hat. Not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    sign up for their little fantasy game that you pick a different player every day who gets a hit. you can win $500 in arizona fall league merchandise.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I'll be at the game tomorrow night. If I remember, I'll bring along my camera for some action shots

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought the AZ Fall League hats are out of place.

It's odd, because all the players wear their teams big league unis, with the exception of the team hat. So Cody Strait and Phil Dumatrait will have Reds jerseys on, from head to toe, and be wearing a Desert Dogs hat. It's just odd to me.

I was at a conference a number of year's ago in Scottsdale, AZ and the stadium was a couple of blocks away from my hotel. I was able to take in a game one afternoon before a board meeting. It was lots of fun. Buck Showalter was sitting a few seats from me taking notes while his little boy played with a truck in the aisle. I can't remember any of the players from that game now.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I'll be at the game tomorrow night. If I remember, I'll bring along my camera for some action shots
    That would be awesome, hopefully more than 1 Red can play.

I left the house in a hurry this morning and forgot my camera - but I did end up going. Four Reds were in action.

Coutlangus pitched for an inning. Nothing that really blows you away - 3/4 arm slot, good pop on his fastball. Only threw about 15 pitches, had one K off a junk pitch in the dirt - which was a long at bat to a big Righty who's name escapes me at the current moment. I know he's older than most in the AFL - but he looked pretty good from what I saw.

Medlock threw one inning as well. He was probably the guy I wanted to see the most. Everything I've heard of is he's a short, skinny kid with pinpoint command who just gets guys out. And that's pretty much the story. Nothing that really went "Wow" but he was effecient and worked pretty quick. Think of a black "Roy Oswalt", short and skinny. Actually, if you added just a little bit lighter skin, and added freckles, I think Medlock is the spitting image, delivery and all of Elizardo Ramirez. He did bean the first batter by throwing inside and smacking his wrist, and that player came out in the next inning. He did get one strikeout - which was a wild swing trying to keep the hit and run going, and would have been a double play had the SS come up cleanly with the ball.

Drew Anderson and Javon Moran also played. Both doing their best swing at everything impression early on - but calmed down as the game went on, although Moran snatched a sure walk away by swinging at two ball fours to make his last out.

In the field, Moran misplayed a blooper in front of him early in the game (2nd or 3rd inning) - but caught the only other ball I saw his way. Anderson made a really nice dive/slide to his left to pickup a grounder and make an out late in the game and save a run from scoring.

They play in Scottsdale the next two nights, which is too much of a drive for me, but I'll be going on Saturday, so next time I will remember to bring the camera

Turn Off Ads?