Barry Bonds - .545
    Frank Thomas - .545
    Carlos Lee - .540
    Ray Durham - .538
    David Dellucci - .530
    Greg Norton - .520
    Rich Aurilia - .518
    Nomar Garciaparra - .505

Not an overly exciting list there is it?

It brings up something in my head. If Ramirez options out of his contract with the Cubs, should we make a run at him and move EE to 1B? I know he'd be another 12+ a year type guy, but he's solid. Particularly if we moved Dunner.

I know Richie showing up in there will elicit calls for his return, but isn't he enough on the decline like most on that list to over ride the plus of the numbers?

Anyone else on the list excite anyone? Not me really. Sadly enough maybe Ray Durham, but not at his asking price I'm sure, and speaking of money, don't bother on Soriano, we all know there's no place for another no defense player here. We've got enough guys who can't field already.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Top Free Agent Hitters by Slugging %

That you even mentioned EE at 1st base made this post painfull to read.

I'm glad I could contribute.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

You don't move Edwin to 1B after 1 year. He gets AT LEAST 2 more years.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

It brings up something in my head. If Ramirez options out of his contract with the Cubs, should we make a run at him and move EE to 1B? I know he'd be another 12+ a year type guy, but he's solid. Particularly if we moved Dunner.

I think we could allocate our resources better than that. Spending 3-5M at 1st base and keeping EE at 3rd while spending money on other things like OF and pitching would be a better option IMO. We wouldn't lose too much production with a much cheaper cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I think we could allocate our resources better than that. Spending 3-5M at 1st base and keeping EE at 3rd while spending money on other things like OF and pitching would be a better option IMO. We wouldn't lose too much production with a much cheaper cost.

The Reds don't need to spend anything at 1st. Hatt is already signed and Votto is close. Why people are even talking about surprises me. Not a position in need.

I don't really like anyone on that list other than Soriano, and he ain't coming to Cincinnati. And I don't want Aramis Ramirez; Edwin Encarnacion is going to be a superstar, and Joey Votto will be a very, very good first baseman. Rather than sign Ramirez, I want the Reds to use that money on a Ted Lilly/Schmidt(unlikely, I know) and a good reliever like Justin Speier and/or Damaso Marte. If there is any money left over for an OF, then Mike Cameron is my first choice.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    The Reds don't need to spend anything at 1st. Hatt is already signed and Votto is close. Why people are even talking about surprises me. Not a position in need.
    Ya I know. I was talking about a year to year thing. Votto is far from a guarantee to be a decent starting 1st base by next year. Go with Hatteberg next year, and if Votto isn't ready by 2008, sign a stop gap for 3-5M instead of signing a guy like Ramirez to a 5 year contract.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

That you even mentioned EE at 1st base made this post painfull to read.
    Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base Edwin at 1st base

If you want some pop at 1B, I'd suggest Aubrey Huff. He could be a steal this offseason. Ryan Klesko might be worth a flyer too.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Thoroughly agree there. It's not an immediate and pressing need.

#1 is obviously pitching.

#2 - I'd really like to see them pursue a SS and leave BP at 2B. But it may end up being visa-versa.

I doubt RA comes back.

It looks like Jr is not gonna move position-wise. At least he recently hinted in the media that until they can find someone on this roster who can play CF better then he has been doing he doesn't see the need.

Unless they make a mid-season trade of Hatte, then Dunn stays in LF.

We could see a RF platoon of Freel and Deno in '07. Whoever is playing the hot hand.

After the '07 season, the Reds really free themselves up from some burdensome contracts...

Milton 9 Mil
    LaRue 5.2 Mil
    Wilson 5.1 Mil (not sure if insurance is helping here or not)

That's 19.3 Mil.

Then, after '08, they have a club option w/ a 4 Mil buyout on Griffey.

I really haven't done much investigation at who all is available, that would fill the Red's pressing needs, in this off-season.

I just hope this FO shows some patience, if that market is "depressed", and not throw money at someone simply because that is all that is available and they feel they need to do something.

Also... I don't know how much extra revenue was generated, and how much Cast is gonna increase the payroll for '07. I've heard anywhere from 10-12 Mil.

But would it be a wise decision, knowing the amount of money that is coming off the books after the '07 season and if a particular player(s) are available that could fill dire needs, do you "borrow" on that money, coupled with the revenue you plan on throwing in, in order to make that bold move and sign them?

Is it risky? And I'm talking about going after an established player who has shown consistent production. Not a Hatte, Aurilia, or Phillips signing.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

You know...if the money works....I wouldn't mind swapping middle infield types with the giants. Put Durham at 2nd and move Phillips back to short.

It's not gonna happen, but it's interesting. The reds need a middle infield type and he's the only guy there on that list. I guess Alfonso is there, but the reds won't be able to pay him.

After the '07 season, the Reds really free themselves up from some burdensome contracts...

Wilson 5.1 Mil (not sure if insurance is helping here or not)
    Paul Wilson is not signed for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    You're right. I was simply going by Jax's website....

http://redsinsite.com/cms/index.php?...apper&Itemid=8

But I found this....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...0-wilson_x.htm

Reds re-sign Wilson to two-year deal

CINCINNATI (AP) The Reds accomplished one of their top offseason priorities Tuesday by agreeing to an $8.2 million, two-year contract with right-hander Paul Wilson. Paul Wilson had a breakthrough season in 2004, winning a career-high 11 games and finishing with a 4.36 ERA.

Wilson, 31, was the most dependable starter on the worst pitching staff in franchise history. The Reds set club records for highest staff earned run average (5.19), most runs allowed (907) and homers given up 236, only three shy of the NL record.

Wilson went 11-8 with a 4.36 ERA last season, making $3.5 million. He became a free agent after the season but made it clear he preferred to stay in Cincinnati if a deal could be worked out.

Wilson's contract includes base salaries of $3.6 million for 2005 and $3.75 million for 2006. There's a team option for 2007 at $3.75 million with an $850,000 buyout. The option can become guaranteed at $4 million to $5.1 million, depending upon innings pitched in the first two years.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Paul Wilson p
    2 years/$8.2M (2005-06)

* 05:$3.6M, 06:$3.75M, 07:$5.15M club option ($0.85M buyout)
    * escalators may increase option
    * re-signed as a free agent 11/04
    * 2 years/$4M (2003-04), signed as a free agent 1/03
    * 1 year/$1M (2002), plus incentives; avoided arbitration 1 /02
    * 1 year/$0.35M (2001)
    * agents: Hendricks Sports Management
    * ML service: 8.008

Ughhh 850 K to go away?

Dan O... the gift that keeps on giving.

Turn Off Ads?