Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite baseball radio/TV call of all-time?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: What is your favorite baseball radio/TV call of all-time?

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmachine1976 View Post
    Whatever Marty said when Pete broke the hits record. Can't remember what he said but I remember exactly where I was and the chill that went up my spine.
    That used to be my sig....

But I changed it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmachine1976 View Post
    Whatever Marty said when Pete broke the hits record. Can't remember what he said but I remember exactly where I was and the chill that went up my spine.
    The best thing about that call is hearing Joe in the background going "Get down! Get down!"

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

"Oliver swings and grounds it...FAIR down the left field line...Billy Bates will score, and this one belongs to the Reds!"

The first time I think I heard Joe use Marty's line.

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    The best thing about that call is hearing Joe in the background going "Get down! Get down!"
    That's what I remember. Glad to hear it verified, actually.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Mine is Al Michael's call of Foster scoring the winning run in the '72 playoffs in game 5. I remember "Here's the (forget the count 2 and 1 maybe?) to McRae..it's in the dirt..here comes Foster..it's a wild pitch..the Reds win the pennant..the Reds win the pennant!"
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

sig
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    "1-2 the wind and the pitch to Bench, change hit in the air to deep right field, back goes Clemente at the fence...it's gone!!!"

Anybody else remember that one? Anyone remember who said it? (just testin' ya).
    Oh yeah! I came up off of the couch on that one. Game 5 of the 1971 NLCS vs the Pirates.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Oh yeah! I came up off of the couch on that one. Game 5 of the 1971 NLCS vs the Pirates.
    One of the few times that I saw my dad get really excited over a ballgame. When Bench hit that home run he shot up out of the chair and slapped his hands together and said "How about that!" That still is my favorite Reds moment of all time!
    BTW it was the 1972 NLCS not 1971.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 10-11-2006 at 06:54 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    "Oliver swings and grounds it...FAIR down the left field line...Billy Bates will score, and this one belongs to the Reds!"

The first time I think I heard Joe use Marty's line.
    He said it at least once in the 70's. It's on one of my records that has highlights of the 75 or 76 season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    One of the few times that I saw my dad get really excited over a ballgame. When Bench hit that home run he shot up out of the chair and slapped his hands together and said "How about that!" That still is my favorite Reds moment of all time!
    BTW it was the 1972 NLCS not 1971.

Yep. You're right. Don't know what I was thinkin'.

Heres the highlights of that game....

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ba...lcs_gm5_pitcin

Pirates starter Steve Blass was brilliant over eight innings of this clinching game, holding a Reds lineup that featured Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan and Pete Rose to only two runs. He turned the ball over to closer Dave Giusti for the ninth, and then it was only a matter of waiting for the final three outs and the victory celebration.

But NL MVP Bench was waiting for the palmballer to lead off the ninth, and he wasn't holding anything back on his swings. After pulling the third pitch just barely foul, Bench followed that up by sending a long fly to the opposite field. Clemente, who had pulled countless would-be home runs out of the stands in his illustrious 18-year career, raced back to the wall. But this one was out of his reach, giving the powerful catcher a game-tying home run.

The Cincinnati fans went into a frenzy, sending a wave of electricity surging throughout the stadium. When Perez and Dennis Menke continued the comeback by slapping back-to-back singles, one could almost feel the inevitable about to happen. Bob Moose was called in to try and stem the tide but like others who have been called on in similar situations - Bill Buckner, George Custer - his attempt at a stand was going to be memorable for the wrong reasons. A sacrifice fly moved pinch runner George Foster to third, and, moments later, Moose uncorked a slider that bounced away from catcher Manny Sanguillen. As Foster scampered home and into a jubilant mob of teammates, the stunned Pirates trudged towards their clubhouse.

It was a disappointing end to a riveting NLCS for Pittsburgh fans, but nothing compared to the shock they would eventually feel two and a half months later. It was on New Year's Eve that their beloved Clemente would die in a plane crash while attempting to deliver supplies to earthquake-ravaged Nicaragua.

Obviously, nobody realized on this day that they would never see Clemente play baseball again. And yet, even though Pirates fans would be devastated by the tragedy, they could always remember Clemente as a man who kept his team competitive until the very end.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

For all time I am not sure....will have to put some more thought into it. There are so many good ones to choose from.

From recient history, Marty B's call of Dunn's walk off GS was pretty amazing. I have it saved on my computer. "Can you belive it?"

But favorite of all time...that's a different story.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Not sure about my fav of all-time either. One that sticks in my mind is Marty's call of the 1976 REDS walkoff win of game 3 in the NLCS which sent them to the World Series. From wikipedia...

The Reds took Game 3 by the score of 7-6 after being down 6-4 going to the bottom of the 9th inning. George Foster and Johnny Bench hit back-to-back homers to lead the inning, tie the game, and get the Cincinnati crowd loud once again. After a combination of a single and walks (one intentional), Ken Griffey's single, with one out, won the Reds the game and the series, by scoring Dave Concepción.

One of the RZ members posted the 1975 and 1976 greatest hits albums here a couple years ago. The albums told the stories of each season and had many Marty & Joe calls from each respective season. Whomever you were... we'd love to have that again (my old computer died and I lost the MP3s)!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

It's not baseball, but I always get a huge kick out of Joe Starkey's call at the end of the '82 Stanford-Cal band on the field football game. The man absolutely loses his mind. Completely and utterly. Watch the long version.

http://alumni.berkeley.edu/KCAA_Mult..._Play_1982.asp

Pay attention to the open sky

I've always been fond of Jack Buck's "Go crazy, folks!"
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I've always been fond of Jack Buck's "Go crazy, folks!"
    That's mine, too.

For my fave Reds' model, Game 2 of the 1990 WS (already mentioned)... "Billy Bates will score and this one belongs to the Reds!"
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?