Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your favorite baseball radio/TV call of all-time?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: What is your favorite baseball radio/TV call of all-time?

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Mine is Al Michael's call of Foster scoring the winning run in the '72 playoffs in game 5. I remember "Here's the (forget the count 2 and 1 maybe?) to McRae..it's in the dirt..here comes Foster..it's a wild pitch..the Reds win the pennant..the Reds win the pennant!"
    That's my absolute favorite, followed only by Al's call on Bench's HR just 5 minutes prior.

I was 11 years old, and it just doesn't get any better than that! Me and my dad and brother were all jumping up and down, hugging each other in the basement (This was long before the days of the high-five, or we'd have been doing that, too.) Mom had gone upstairs, she could not watch because she was so nervous.

Non-baseball and off-topic, but my other all-time fav is Michael's call of the US victory over the USSR, otherwise known as the "Do you believe in miracles?" call.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    It's not baseball, but I always get a huge kick out of Joe Starkey's call at the end of the '82 Stanford-Cal band on the field football game. The man absolutely loses his mind. Completely and utterly. Watch the long version.

http://alumni.berkeley.edu/KCAA_Mult..._Play_1982.asp
    I actually heard that live, I was working that day and in the company truck.

Greatest thing I've ever heard on the radio.

Marty Brennamen berating a first base umpire and calling out Richie Phillips during a game in 1999.

Quality radio right there.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Though it's not a Red's highlight, Fisk's HR in game 6 of the 75 WS caused me to sink to new lows. I was listening to it on Armed Forces radio. I was really worried that it would deflate the Reds.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Non-baseball and off-topic, but my other all-time fav is Michael's call of the US victory over the USSR, otherwise known as the "Do you believe in miracles?" call.

I get a chill up my spine every time I hear that.

For the Reds, I'd have to say Curt Gowdy's call of the Reds winning the 75 series was best. It had excitement, joy, enthusiasm and clarity.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

For the Reds, I'd have to say Curt Gowdy's call of the Reds winning the 75 series was best. It had excitement, joy, enthusiasm and clarity.
    Thanks for the memories....:
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 2-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    That's my absolute favorite, followed only by Al's call on Bench's HR just 5 minutes prior.

I was 11 years old, and it just doesn't get any better than that! Me and my dad and brother were all jumping up and down, hugging each other in the basement (This was long before the days of the high-five, or we'd have been doing that, too.) Mom had gone upstairs, she could not watch because she was so nervous.

I was 13 years old. I couldn't watch it on TV for being too nervous and went into the back bedroom - but my parents stayed in the family room (converted from a garage and at the opposite in of the house). I turned on the radio and it was already an 0-2 count IIRC on Bench. I was so afraid that he would strike out that I reached up to turn off the radio when I hear Al's voice ring out. I screamed and ran into the family room where my parents were just sitting there (no emotion - they HATE baseball). I jump up and down screaming telling them what happened, and then stay for the end.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 2-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?