Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free Agent Pitcher: Great Idea

Free Agent Pitcher: Great Idea

. . . but tough to execute. I'm guessing that some of the top free agent pitchers would avoid GABP at all costs due to the stat inflation. Many of us (perhaps myself included) keep banking on a free agent pitcher in the offseason, but to be realistic, how many top-notch pitchers are willing to come to the Reds at a reasonable price? My guess is "few". I don't see a Barry Zito-type free agent coming here, but that's just my view. What do y'all think?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Free Agent Pitcher: Great Idea

Eric Milton was considered one of the top starters available on the FA market at the time he was signed. The price was far from reasonable, though. I don't see the current crop of FA starters being any more of a bargain.

I think if pitchers avoid us it has more to with the losing culture of the past ten years than it does the ball park. Arroyo and Harang have proven that good pitchers can succeed pitching half of their games at GABP.

Ted Lilly would be a good target, IMO, at a medium-range cost ($6-7 million per year).
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I have been beating the drum long enough...we need ted lilly

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Eric Milton was considered one of the top starters available on the FA market at the time he was signed. The price was far from reasonable, though.
    you also have to remember that signing Milton was name recognition and trying to save face by being able to say "the Yankees wanted him."
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Take a moment to look at how the Reds acquired our only two quality starting pitchers. Neither were in the rotation for their respective teams at the time of the trades, and had pitching depth. Both cost quality hitters. Top line FA starters aren't coming here. You might get a Doug Davis or Vincente Padilla, but not a Zito or even a Lilly. If Guillen could draw Harang, and Wily Mo could draw Arroyo, I'd have thought that Kearns/Lopez could have drawn a similiar return.

What's so great about Ted Lilly? He's a slight flyball pitcher with minor control problems. Not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade, he certainly would. But it's not like he particularly fits GABP.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

More than likely, the Yanks will nab Zito.......like they do everyone else.

I dont see Zito going to the Yanks...I think you'll see him sign with a west coast team. But they'll definitly try to get either zito or schmidt

I'd say the most recent free agent pitchers were either disappointments or overly injured, Pedro Martinez, Carl Pavano, Matt Clement, Eric Milton, Russ Ortiz, Kris Benson, Jon Lieber, and Jaret Wright. I'd rather develop another potential starter like Harang or Arroyo. BTW, I seriously doubt Kearns and Lopez were not on anyones radar for starting pitchers.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    What's so great about Ted Lilly? He's a slight flyball pitcher with minor control problems. Not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade, he certainly would. But it's not like he particularly fits GABP.
    No offense to the others, but this is the best comment in the entire thread. I think Lilly would be an upgrade over the number 5 spot we were running out there (Mays, Michalek, etc.) but I believe he would cost as much or more than Eric Milton. He's not an ace, but a mid-to back of the rotation starter. In cincy they are going to cost that much.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    A) He probably won't be that expensive
    B) He's a lefty who can strike batters out at a high rate
    C) He doesn't have chronic injury problems (like a degenerative knee, Eric Milton)
    D) He wouldn't cost the Reds any talent to acquire

Quote Originally Posted by mth123
    No offense to the others, but this is the best comment in the entire thread. I think Lilly would be an upgrade over the number 5 spot we were running out there (Mays, Michalek, etc.) but I believe he would cost as much or more than Eric Milton. He's not an ace, but a mid-to back of the rotation starter. In cincy they are going to cost that much.
    Yes, he would upgrade the #5 spot. He would also upgrade the #4 and #3 spots. By a lot.

Lilly is better than anyone the Reds could trot out aside from Arroyo and Harang. He would give the Reds three high-quality starters in the rotation.

As I said earlier, the Reds don't have enough tradeable talent left to acquire a quality starting pitcher. They have to do it via free agency. IMO, Lilly is one of a few guys they could realistically sign without breaking the bank.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Anybody think the Reds could be major players for RHP Mike Mussina, who the Yankees might not re-sign?

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...layerID=119608
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

What do you think the cost will be for Mussina? He will probably get a ton and maybe find a sucker to give him another multi year deal. I wouldnt mind him, he would be better than everyone not named Harang and Arroyo.

Turn Off Ads?