Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Griffey Contract

Griffey Contract

I know this has been discussed before but i tried to search for it and couldnt find it. So before i start if someone whats to post a link answering my question then go ahead and do it then lock it if we dont want to bring this up again.

but my question is do we pay Griffey 12.5 next year or 6 and 6.5 has been defered? Ive read on two MLB contract sites that they are considering him to be paid 6 million next year and everytime we talk about next years payroll we look at it at 12.5. Thanks in advance

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey Contract

Just to cloud things a little more, I think much of his salary is deferred, but the Reds payroll treats it as though they are paying him the full amount now.

I'm sure in a couple years it will be used as an excuse if they don't want to spend additional monies on someone though.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k View Post
    I know this has been discussed before but i tried to search for it and couldnt find it. So before i start if someone whats to post a link answering my question then go ahead and do it then lock it if we dont want to bring this up again.

but my question is do we pay Griffey 12.5 next year or 6 and 6.5 has been defered? Ive read on two MLB contract sites that they are considering him to be paid 6 million next year and everytime we talk about next years payroll we look at it at 12.5. Thanks in advance

They budget the def feral payments in there present day budget.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

here is the link for Griffeys contract at mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/

Ken Griffey Jr. of
    9 years/$116.5M (2000-08), plus $16.5M 2009 club option

00-08:$12.5M/year, 09:$16.5M club option ($4M buyout)
    $57.5M in salary deferred at 4% interest, to be paid 2009-2024, reducing contract's present-day value at time of signing to between $9.2M and $9.3M annually, according to Reds management sources
    $5.5M of 2000 salary deferred
    $6.5M/year of 2001-2008 salaries deferred
    agent: Brian Goldberg
    ML service: 17.000

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Lidner did...I don't know about Castellini

Thanks...thats all i needed to really know....see this is why i love redszone....i get my answer faster than a wikipedia search....Thanks for clearing all that up for me

I've assume all along that they were placing money in some sort of annuity of something that would lessen the longterm burden. Of course, it kept the payroll inflated to some degree, atlhough to what, I'm not sure. According to the item posted by Redsfan4445, it looks like it has been an extra 3 Mill or so.

Here is JaxRed's website. It is currently being remodeled, but you can pull up the team's yearly salary base

http://redsinsite.com/cms/index.php?...apper&Itemid=8
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?