Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arroyo's Strategizing his Return to Red Sox

Arroyo's Strategizing his Return to Red Sox

From the Providence Journal...link

Red Sox Notebook: Arroyo's strategizing his return to the Red Sox

01:00 AM EDT on Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Bronson Arroyo may be in Cincinnati, but his heart is still in Boston.

In fact, he may already be planning his return.

"I still miss playing in that uniform, especially when I turn on the TV and they are 10 games out of first place and there is still a crowd that is maybe more enthusiastic than any crowd in the game," Arroyo told the Lawrence (Mass.) Eagle-Tribune in a story published yesterday.

"You never know what's going to happen in the next couple years."

One thing that will happen is Arroyo hitting the free-agent market after 2008, when the three-year contract he signed with the Red Sox last winter expires. He has yet to sell his home in Boston, and he told the newspaper he'll hold onto it for at least two more years . . . or until he sees what happens in free agency.

Arroyo, 29, went 14-11 with a 3.29 E.R.A. for the Reds and made the National League All-Star team. He said Sox general manager Theo Epstein, who traded him to Cincinnati for outfielder Wily Mo Pena in spring training, called to congratulate him on his All-Star selection.

"He was joking around about how he couldn't go anywhere in the city without somebody yelling at him about trading me," Arroyo said.

Like many Sox fans, Arroyo didn't understand why Boston would pitching for outfield help.

"[Why] would you trade away a young, 200-inning arm?" he said. "Even if Wily Mo hits 40 home runs, I think with what's going on in baseball as far as getting rid of steroids and stuff, it's becoming harder for people to pitch 200 innings and stay healthy year after year. I can see pitchers becoming more of a commodity than they were five or six years ago."

And Arroyo thinks he became more of a commodity after the season he had.

"I was disappointed with the move, but it is probably going to help me out in the long run, because I'm coming over to [Cincinnati] with a little more responsibility, showing I didn't need the Boston Red Sox lineup to stay out there and win ballgames." he said. "In the end, as a free agent, I have become worth more than if I stayed in Boston and pitched out of the pen . . .

"Over time, you earn your respect. I've always been a guy who has been borderline, 'Is he a starter or a bullpen guy?' But now I think I've shown I can be a No. 3 on any team in baseball.

"So now I've gotten over that hump. Now I have to prove that I can be a guy who can do it 2, 3, 5 or 10 years in a row."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Arroyo's Strategizing his Return to Red Sox

Anyone else getting really tired of hearing about Boston and Arroyo?

Memo to Bronson: You were traded, get over it. If you don't want to be here, ask for a trade and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post

Memo to Bronson: You were traded, get over it. If you don't want to be here, ask for a trade and leave.
    My sentiments exactly.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Maybe WK should trade him back to Boston while his value is high. They have a lot of young pitching prospects, and I don't think they're enamored with Coco Crisp, either.

Agreed 100%.

Normally I support the rights of public figures to say whatever they want, and I'm not likely to let stuff like this get to me as a fan as long as he's pitching well. But it's getting inappropriate at this point. He's a member of this team and has been for almost a year. His new team doesn't appear to be doing anything to make him unhappy, so I think he has something of a responsibility to them, at least in the press.

And as you say, this is moot whining. If he is unhappy he needs to deal with it on a proactive level with the organization, not vent about it to unrelated parties. I hope the media isn't spinning this.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 10-11-2006 at 11:36 AM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

yes, I am too. Tired of hearing Arroyo pining for the Red Sox. I admire what Bronson has done on the field, and his tenacity on the mound, especially with wanting to pitch on short rest.

It's not a prerequisite for these guys to love the Reds as much as we do, but I get sick of hearing them actively plotting and wishing to get away.

I know we need pitching, and at his salary, Arroyo's a steal, but another way to look at it is that he's never going to be worth as much as he is right now. If he really doesn't want to be here, or would rather be elsewhere, the Reds can get some good young arms back in return.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

And this is why it's time for the Reds to decide what's more valuable; the next 2 years of Arroyo, at whatever level of performance you get, or what somebody is willing to trade you for those 2 years? Personally, I think you at least talk about trading Arroyo. I don't think he's going to improve any, and if somebody is willing to give you a Liriano/Nathan/Bonser type package of multiple high ceiling prospect close to the majors, you make the move.

We simply need more talent, plain and simple. If you don't get a good enough offer, it's not like Arroyo is suddenly going to decide he wants out... he already does! I would not at all be surprised by a regression somewhat to the 4.00 ERA level as more players get acclimated to his style. Everything went his way this year. I'm thrilled by what he gave us, but would be even more thrilled if we could turn around and flip him for the kind of return we should've gotten from Loepz & Kearns & Wagner.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    And this is why it's time for the Reds to decide what's more valuable; the next 2 years of Arroyo, at whatever level of performance you get, or what somebody is willing to trade you for those 2 years? Personally, I think you at least talk about trading Arroyo. I don't think he's going to improve any, and if somebody is willing to give you a Liriano/Nathan/Bonser type package of multiple high ceiling prospect close to the majors, you make the move.

We simply need more talent, plain and simple. If you don't get a good enough offer, it's not like Arroyo is suddenly going to decide he wants out... he already does! I would not at all be surprised by a regression somewhat to the 4.00 ERA level as more players get acclimated to his style. Everything went his way this year. I'm thrilled by what he gave us, but would be even more thrilled if we could turn around and flip him for the kind of return we should've gotten from Loepz & Kearns & Wagner.
    I agree that no one should be off the trading table, but Arroyo would be one of the last people I would be looking to trade. 240 innings of 3.29 ERA, 1.19 WHIP ball and 184 K's doesn't grow on trees, particularly at what Arroyo will be making the next two years. The offer would have to be can't-pass-this-up good in order for it to make sense for the club to trade him, and I don't know that any teams would offer that type of package for Arroyo.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I guess I'm different, because it doesn't bother me at all. I think it's refreshing when a guy tells the truth and doesn't worry about the politics involved.

It's not like he says he's gonna pull a Sheffield and tank his way out of town. He knows that putting up a stellar performance is the ONLY way he'll get back to Beantown, and that means the Reds benefit.

Isn't everything he's said about his Boston experience true? How can you blame him?

It's a lot better than the empty platitudes and LaLooshian cliche-speak we're used to in ballplayers today.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I guess I'm different, because it doesn't bother me at all. I think it's refreshing when a guy tells the truth and doesn't worry about the politics involved.

It's not like he says he's gonna pull a Sheffield and tank his way out of town. He knows that putting up a stellar performance is the ONLY way he'll get back to Beantown, and that means the Reds benefit.

Isn't everything he's said about his Boston experience true? How can you blame him?

It's a lot better than the empty platitudes and LaLooshian cliche-speak we're used to in ballplayers today.
    Would you go into work and tell your boss how much better it was working at your last place of employment? How long do you think they'd put up with that?

Bronson must have missed the fact that Boston loved him so much they decided to trade him, even after he agreed to a less than market value contract to stay there. It's like still calling someone your girlfriend 2 years after she broke up with you.

Why would you pine for a team that basically lied to you and screwed you over?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Dear Bronson.

Quit whining. Or, get used to seeing the sights of Kansas City.

Love,

The RedsZone.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Would you go into work and tell your boss how much better it was working at your last place of employment? How long do you think they'd put up with that?

That's not what he did. He was being interviewed by the Providence Journal, a decidedly Red Sox newspaper.

He answered questions honestly. He didn't walk into his place of employment and make these statements.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

" In fact, he may already be planning his return."

That's the line the author of the story wrote, not BA. And BA didn't pen the title either. I don't really see anything in his comments where he says the Reds suck and he wants to go back to Beantown.

In fact he says, " I was disappointed with the move, but it is probably going to help me out in the long run, because I'm coming over to [Cincinnati] with a little more responsibility, showing I didn't need the Boston Red Sox lineup to stay out there and win ballgames."

Also, "In the end, as a free agent, I have become worth more than if I stayed in Boston and pitched out of the pen . . .

And, "Over time, you earn your respect. I've always been a guy who has been borderline, 'Is he a starter or a bullpen guy?' But now I think I've shown I can be a No. 3 on any team in baseball.

Finally, "So now I've gotten over that hump. Now I have to prove that I can be a guy who can do it 2, 3, 5 or 10 years in a row."

I don't know, but it sounds to me that he made a passing comment about being dissapointed with the trade but the majority of his comments are focused on either how the move helped him, or looking towards the future.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    " In fact, he may already be planning his return."

That's the line the author of the story wrote, not BA. And BA didn't pen the title either. I don't really see anything in his comments where he says the Reds suck and he wants to go back to Beantown.

In fact he says, " I was disappointed with the move, but it is probably going to help me out in the long run, because I'm coming over to [Cincinnati] with a little more responsibility, showing I didn't need the Boston Red Sox lineup to stay out there and win ballgames."

Also, "In the end, as a free agent, I have become worth more than if I stayed in Boston and pitched out of the pen . . .

And, "Over time, you earn your respect. I've always been a guy who has been borderline, 'Is he a starter or a bullpen guy?' But now I think I've shown I can be a No. 3 on any team in baseball.

Finally, "So now I've gotten over that hump. Now I have to prove that I can be a guy who can do it 2, 3, 5 or 10 years in a row."

I don't know, but it sounds to me that he made a passing comment about being dissapointed with the trade but the majority of his comments are focused on either how the move helped him, or looking towards the future.
    I think you're exactly right. And even the quotes attributed to him are true statements. The Reds will have their hands full keeping him longer, but I like his future.

Turn Off Ads?