Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Mussina

Mike Mussina

Should the Reds be major players for his services this offseason? Even though he will be 38 years old next season, there still might be enough left on the tires.

Opinions?

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...layerID=119608
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mike Mussina

I think the Yankees are going to try to bring him back at a much lower rate. In any event, from what I saw this year, he's one of those guys that ends up around the 100 pitch mark in the 6th inning. Although a switch to the NL could help him out, I'd still stay away. He's going to be too rich for the Reds to afford.

Two other pitchers out there that might be in the Reds price range are former Rangers RHP Vincent Padilla and RHP Adam Eaton.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Two other pitchers out there that might be in the Reds price range are former Rangers RHP Vincent Padilla and RHP Adam Eaton.
    In another post I mentioned Padilla, along with Lilly as starters that could be in the Reds price range. I also think that bringing in Batista as a potential closer wouldn't be a bad idea.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Eaton is the guy I would pursue.. down the stretch he looked good (4-4 w/ 3.77 ERA 54K's in 62 Inn/ 17 BB)

I think he may be at a reasonable price as well due to the fact he was injured most of the season. Add to the fact he is only 28.. 29 next month. He immidiatly becomes the Reds #3 starter. Once thought of in San Diego as an Ace along with Peavey.

Another possiblity is maybe Ted Lilly (15-13 4.31 ERA). Although the 28 homers scares me. Meet Eric Milton (29)

Eaton gives up quite a few HRs too (11 in 65 IP)... in 04 he gave up 28 HRs in about 200 IP (in San Diego's park)... so given a full season at the GABP he could probably touch 30.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at him though, as long as he doesn't cost much.

Eaton is always injured too..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

It depends upon the price. I think Mussina could still be a dependable no. 3 starter.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    It depends upon the price. I think Mussina could still be a dependable no. 3 starter.

The Yankees aren't going to pick up his 17 million option. Instead they will try to sign him to a two or three year extension.

Now if the Reds want to be major players, would Castanelli and Krivsky willing to offer a three year deal between 30-36 million for a 38 year old pitcher?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

The Yankees aren't going to pick up his 17 million option. Instead they will try to sign him to a two or three year extension.

Now if the Reds want to be major players, would Castanelli and Krivsky willing to offer a three year deal between 30-36 million for a 38 year old pitcher?
    I would more or less push a 2 year deal for around 22 Mil. I would then sling Dunn for Santana and Aybar. See if Milton would be enough to get OF help.. perhaps Jenkins from the Brewers (I hear DanO's a Milton fan).

I really doubt anyone takes Milton... maybe we could trade him at the deadline next year if he's pitching decent and the Yanks would send us a PTBNL and thats really pushing it... seriously doubt we could get Jenkins away from the Brewers

And no way do I give Mussina a 3 year deal at 10 mil per year. The farthest that I would go would be a 1 year deal at $5 million, with a mutual option the following year of $7 million or something

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I really doubt anyone takes Milton...
    It would be a hard sell, that's for sure. Wayne would likely have to take a bad contract in return.

And next year is his last right? If we paid his remaining salary I could see us getting a half way prospect or a former prospect coming back from surgery or something... maybe better off keeping him

Sure, he could probably be moved for a middling prospect if the Reds pick up a chunk of his salary.

Isn't Milton's contract for next year an option? Can't the Reds decline that option? Not sure where to look up contracts for ballplayers, otherwise I'd look - I do admit I'm too lazy to google it though...
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?