Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: IF there had been a Redszone in years gone by...

IF there had been a Redszone in years gone by...

If there had been a Reds Zone in years gone by who would have been the Reds whipping boy? Can you imagine if there had been a Redszone in 1971 and members would have gotten ahold of Johnny Bench, coming off a monster year in 1970? He would have been run out of town because of his terrible year. There are many examples I am sure. What are your favorites?
    Baseball is life

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: IF there had been a Redszone in years gone by...

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRed View Post
    If there had been a Reds Zone in years gone by who would have been the Reds whipping boy? Can you imagine if there had been a Redszone in 1971 and members would have gotten ahold of Johnny Bench, coming off a monster year in 1970? He would have been run out of town because of his terrible year. There are many examples I am sure. What are your favorites?

I think most of the team - Sparky and Howsam included - would have been ran out of town in '71.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Well, Tolan's torn Achilles was due to poor off season conditioning.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

In years gone by?

Well, in 2000 it was Dante Bichette. Or Brian Hunter. Where are they now?

In 2001 it was Pokey Reese. Or Dmitri Young. How are they lookin'?

In 2002 it was Reggie Taylor. Or Joey Hamilton. Where are they now?

In 2003 it was Aaron Boone. Or Jimmy Haynes. How are they lookin'?

In 2004 it was Phil Norton. Or Todd Van Poppel. Where are they now?

In 2005 it was Danny Graves. Or Ramon Oritz. How are they lookin'?

Add in the Tim Hummels and Andy Machados and Ricky Stones and Ruben Mateos and Josias Manzanillos of the world, and I'd say we have a pretty good track record of identifying the players most deserving of derision.
    Makes all the routine posts.

When every player gets derided it's easy to point out the ones that were correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    When every player gets derided it's easy to point out the ones that were correct.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Do you think red zoners would have disparaged the performance of Len Boehmer?

When every season ends with a losing record, it's easy to spot suckitude.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I wonder what would have happened on Redszone after the 73 playoffs? The Reds were heavy favorites in 73 and lost in five games to the Mets.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    In years gone by?
    Add in Jr, Guillen, Aurillia, LaRue, Larkin, Reggie Sanders, Hancock, Casey, Weathers (both this year and last year for a spell, as well as his first tour of duty), Williamson, Reitsma, Bret Boone.. and probably some others I can't recall. Not that all these guys were super stars, but they were solid players.

There's been plenty of good players whipped on this board. Aaron Boone was a good player as well until he hurt his knee. Bichette was a decent player when he was a Red (his OPS was practically identical to Casey and Young who were loved at the time). I always thought Bichette was hated mainly because of his age and salary. But he produced, and Bowden was right when he said that Bichette was easy to retrade. Considering we gave up very little to get Bichette (I think it was Belinda after he crashed and some other filler), I'd call it a good trade.

Heck, even Reese wasn't that bad here during his tour of duty. I think he was hated more for his comments to the press than anything else. Again, I'm not saying Reese was great, but when you stack his years as a Red up against Clayton and Castro, he's not that bad. I didn't cry when they dumped him or anything, but he wasn't horrible as a Red. In fact, he was one of the better players to come out of the Reds farm system in the past 10 years (I know, faint praise).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Do you think red zoners would have approved of trading Curt Flood? Mike Cuellar? Claude Osteen? Charlie Liebrandt? Milt Wilcox? Ross Grimsley? Mike Caldwell?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Nah, a whipping a boy is a whipping boy, not someone who gets picked on for a bad game or two.

The only players on the Reds eligible for whipping boy status are:

1. Dunn
    2. Milton (deservedly so).

Everyone else the hatred comes and goes, but these two are the whipping boys, the lightning rods.

One deserves it; one doesn't. Such is life.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I could see the arguments over whether or not George Foster strikes out too much.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I could see the arguments over whether or not George Foster strikes out too much.

And long analytical threads about whether or not Tony Perez really is "clutch."

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    And long analytical threads about whether or not Tony Perez really is "clutch."
    Don't forget Dave Concepcion's OPS.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?